Just bought a Golden Stone and.......

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Just bought a Golden Stone and.......

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:53 am
I'm watching this very closely. I would like to have an easily portable method for sharpening serrations that has some type of fixed angle so I can maintain sharpening at 15/20 like I do on the Sharpmaker. Sure I can do it freehand but I'd still prefer something that is basically a more portable version of the Sharpmaker. If the corners of this stone do indeed fit both size serrations then this may be what I need.
I still give my #1 vote for a portable serration sharpener to the Spyderco 701 Profile kit. Which I really hope gets back into their main product line up before too long again. Now I've heard Sal say that the GOLDENSTONE is a premium tool for sharpening serrations but I've just had better luck and can get it done quicker and better with the 701 Profile kit. But if he ever does that instructional video I will watch it intently to see why he thinks it would be better. But first of all the GOLDENSTONE just has to be offered in more grit selections IMO. And I'm sure it will be as time goes forward because of it only being offered in "FINE" I do think that has a lot of people hesitant to try one. It is a relatively expensive tool but if you do take care of it I'm sure it will last for a lifetime.

Also as soon as Spyderco gets the base unit for the GOLDENSTONE I do believe that will change the versatility of the tool greatly. But again the GOLDENSTONE and if they ever bring back the 701 Profiles they both need to be offered in more grit selections IMO.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Goldenstone inbound
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

When is the CBN version of the GOLDENSTONE going to be available? I can't wait for that to hit the market. Also I would just love a GOLDENSTONE in Ultra-Fine too. I'm getting away from stropping almost completely after chatting with some of the sharpening gurus over at BF and I'm beginning to believe that a final finish on an ultra-fine stone or even a sharpening steel is much more desirable I'm learning.

Hopefully over time they will make the GOLDENSTONE in more grits>> but the next one should by all means be Ultra-Fine. It would be a dream come true for my kitchen knives.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

So, just like the title of this thread, I just bought my first Goldenstone which led me to finding this thread.

Here we are six months later...

Sal, do you have any updates for us on the 15 degree base for this? I can’t imagine an injection molded plastic piece would be all that complicated, but I really don’t know much about the process.

Thanks!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Zatx wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:14 pm
So, just like the title of this thread, I just bought my first Goldenstone which led me to finding this thread.

Here we are six months later...

Sal, do you have any updates for us on the 15 degree base for this? I can’t imagine an injection molded plastic piece would be all that complicated, but I really don’t know much about the process.

Thanks!
I'll just ditto everything I said earlier in the thread. Glad to see others have jumped aboard to test out the GOLDENSTONE. Spyderco has not yet made a sharpening tool that I don't just like a lot. I love every Spyderco sharpening tool I've ever bought and plan on getting every one them make from here on.

As many people here that rave about the 204 Sharpmaker it just baffles me as to why they don't go ahead and get a GOLDENSTONE too.

I'm still waiting for the GAUNTLET
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zatx,

We've always got molds being made. It's a matter of where it is in queue.

sal
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

sal wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:46 pm
Hi Zatx,

We've always got molds being made. It's a matter of where it is in queue.

sal

And the base is where in the queue... hmmmmm?

;)
sal

Post by sal »

The queue was the Gauntlet first, which took more than a year to get right. The Galley V, which was just completed and is being prepped and next is the base for the Golden Stone. These are all in the sharpening queue. We also have FRN molds being made in Golden Japan and Taiwan for knives.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:32 pm
The queue was the Gauntlet first, which took more than a year to get right. The Galley V, which was just completed and is being prepped and next is the base for the Golden Stone. These are all in the sharpening queue. We also have FRN molds being made in Golden Japan and Taiwan for knives.

sal
I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that I'll be getting my hands on a GAUNTLET and new GALLEY V kit soon. I'm really optimistic about both of those tools. And in a way I'm glad you guys take the time necessary to get all the bugs worked out and get the product right.

And I'm also looking forward to the GOLDENSTONE in more grits. Again that is great news to hear that the GAUNTLET will be here soon :)
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

sal wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:32 pm

sal

Thank you so much for your response, Sal! Wow, a year on the Gauntlet? I can't wait to get my hands on that.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zatx,

Actually the year was in creating a production piece the design is 15 years old. We've just been sitting on it.

sal
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

sal wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:23 pm
Hi Zatx,

Actually the year was in creating a production piece the design is 15 years old. We've just been sitting on it.

sal

You guys have done a remarkable job keeping everything under wraps, I can't find any images of the Gauntlet, and honestly, I have no idea what it is. Just knowing you guys are making it is enough for me to make the purchase, but it sure would be nice to see a photo or get a description of it.
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Recently stumbled over this... And thought... Why the heck would I need this... And at WHAT price?
Then I saw how it was supposed to be used...
Now I want one.
And maybe my dad will want one as well as he will be getting a sharp maker as a gift for Christmas.
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

Honestly....I kind of like it more than the sharpmaker. Just so convenient. I'd be interested in a half width one, less convenient but would become very packable.
"Seven for One"
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zatx,

The Gauntlet is already in house. FRN base, fine ceramic and CBN rods. Should be released soon. I believe they're working on packaging and instructions.

Hey Possum,

It was an off-the-wall design that I came up with many years ago. At the time, we couldn't do it. Technology just wasn't there. As time went on, we were able to sneak up on it with designs like the Pro-Files and the Duckfoot. When the technology was there to make it, we just did it despite the cost, primarily because it was just such a unique piece. It's never really been pushed hard in its evolution, just steadily from yours truly.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:53 am
I'm watching this very closely. I would like to have an easily portable method for sharpening serrations that has some type of fixed angle so I can maintain sharpening at 15/20 like I do on the Sharpmaker. Sure I can do it freehand but I'd still prefer something that is basically a more portable version of the Sharpmaker. If the corners of this stone do indeed fit both size serrations then this may be what I need.
That's a good point because if Spyderco wants to upgrade the GOLDENSTONE with a multi-angle base unit and to provide more GOLDENSTONEs with different grit selections I would then be more than happy to abort my desires for the return of the 701 Profiles if they want to take the GOLDENSTONE to a new and completely different level.

Yeah if they want to focus on the concept of the GOLDENSTONE and to make it more of a multi-faceted sharpening tool I could go for that completely. That would be an excellent and versatile tool for Spyderedges and a tool for many other sharpening jobs.