Post up your Rit dye projects..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Post up your Rit dye projects..

Post by vivi »

for future reference you can fill the pot with less than an inch of water and get the same results.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

tempted to swap these two tone g10 scales on to my m4 manix and put the micarta scales on the 4v.

think they'd go really well with the blacked out hardware on my m4...
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Tried using Dyemore apricot orange to do a fade to white but messed up. When I was dunking the scales the dye splashed on the white so at that point I just put them all the way in. Definitely mixed more dye then needed making it too dark. Not really what I was going for but it looks good.

Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:36 pm
Tried using Dyemore apricot orange to do a fade to white but messed up. When I was dunking the scales the dye splashed on the white so at that point I just put them all the way in. Definitely mixed more dye then needed making it too dark. Not really what I was going for but it looks good.

I like it! Very vibrant orange.
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Rymanz wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:16 pm

Me too! I love it! It's a masterpiece...now it belongs to the ages.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Aaaand now Apricot DyeMore is on my radar. Very nice, Josh. Reminds me of Fender's "Fiesta Red"
vivi

Post by vivi »

Didn't come out perfect, I dipped it too deep into the green and got sloppy with the red, but I still really like it. Something different than plain black.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Cool runnings.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
z1r

Post by z1r »

Rymanz wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:16 pm
Josh Crutchley wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:36 pm

Agreed, I like it!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Dyemore synthetic graphite

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

👍
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

👍 double. Oops.
remnar

Post by remnar »

I've done a couple:

The first was a Tasman Salt. I experimented with some hot glue to create a pattern that didn't turn out as well as I had hoped but it still looks ok.

The second was a Pink Delica which had already undergone a blade swap. I really like how this one turned out.

Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

Great idea using the hot glue to create a pattern! Both turned out well.
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Here’s a question: does anyone have a rit dye recipe/recommendation for me?

I’d like to dye my Maxamet Manix 2 LW from grey to olive drab green. I know that I’ll need to use the synthetic dye, because I tried and failed with the regular stuff.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:08 pm
Here’s a question: does anyone have a rit dye recipe/recommendation for me?

I’d like to dye my Maxamet Manix 2 LW from grey to olive drab green. I know that I’ll need to use the synthetic dye, because I tried and failed with the regular stuff.
It may be a little too dark to get OD green, but the colors most likely to get you close are grey and green (so you're already halfway there). Use RIT Dye More Peacock Green. Start with a low concentration of dye and work your way into the color; see what it changes too. You can always add more dye, but I don't know of an easy way to remove it from the FRN. RIT makes a color remover but I have no personal experience with it.

If you're feeling adventurous, then you might want to start by removing as much of the previous dye job as possible to get to a light grey base.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Rymanz wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:57 am

It may be a little too dark to get OD green, but the colors most likely to get you close are grey and green (so you're already halfway there). Use RIT Dye More Peacock Green. Start with a low concentration of dye and work your way into the color; see what it changes too. You can always add more dye, but I don't know of an easy way to remove it from the FRN. RIT makes a color remover but I have no personal experience with it.

If you're feeling adventurous, then you might want to start by removing as much of the previous dye job as possible to get to a light grey base.
Thanks! I found https://www.ritdye.com/color-formulas/, which suggested I try peacock green and daffodil yellow, and maybe some grey. I’ll skip the grey, and try green and yellow.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:18 am
Rymanz wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:57 am

Thanks! I found https://www.ritdye.com/color-formulas/, which suggested I try peacock green and daffodil yellow, and maybe some grey. I’ll skip the grey, and try green and yellow.
That's a handy tool! Glad I was on the right track. :grin-smiling-eyes
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well, it came out a little closer to forest green than olive green, but I’m happy with the Manix 2. Will post pictures in the sunlight tomorrow.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I was always bored with the grey FRCP on my Maxamet Manix 2. Last night I mixed two parts Peacock Green to one part Daffodil Yellow Rit Dyemore for Synthetics and came up with this lovely “REI Green” color.

I wanted more of an Olive green, but I can’t say that I’m unhappy with this color.

The Manix has never been my favorite knife, but it sure is a great little work knife. Now that it’s a little more mine, we’ll see if it gets some more pocket time.