Post up your Rit dye projects..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LSS152

Post up your Rit dye projects..

Post by LSS152 »

I will start. How about a green digital camo Para 2?
Attachments
695480C5-E809-4171-B9A2-3D07DC7AF78A.jpeg
LSS152

Re: Post up your Rit dye projects..

Post by LSS152 »

I had to re-do it. When it dried it was to light. It looks much better now. I know some of you guys have played with rit dye. Post up some pictures if you have them!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

i like those a lot!

Ihad quite a time at my first Rit dye attempt the othe day. At first they werent really taking the dye so I added the full bottle and added vinegar. Then I left them in too long and the gray looked black. Then I realized that I had put the two right sides in the neon green and the two left sides in the gray, so I just threw them all in the gray. Then I dumped the blue bottle in with the gray to try to get them to turn more blue than black. Then i left them in way too long and all the liquid boiled out and it looked like i had actually melted the scales, but it was just concentrated dried out dye on the scales. But at that point they were basically solid black. So i scrubbed the every loving crap out of them with a scotch brite pad and bar keepers friend and i ended up with this, which i quite like!! :D

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
LSS152

Post by LSS152 »

I like them! I didn’t even take my scales off. Just rinced everting off an could not tell that it affected anything but the scales.
attila

Post by attila »

Cruwear Para 3

FYI, these are all the same knife, just in different lighting, and the last one is a little dirty and worn in office lighting.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Dark Gray I believe is what the Rit is called. Basically looks black but I like it. ImageUntitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
likethevegetable

Post by likethevegetable »

Here is my dip-dyed yellow H1 ladyhawk, among my other "lunch-kit EDC" items. I used royal blue liquid RIT, and as expected, the result is a bluish green, similar to BRG.

I wanted to maintain some of the original yellow, and there is a pretty noticeable dip line. I'd recommend fully submerging the handles (even for a second) if anyone is going for the faded pattern and wants a cleaner result. Some of the original yellow is starting to poke through again even on the bottom of the handle.

Overall I'm happy with my first attempt. I'd be interested in seeing some FRN Chappies and get some ideas for a possible next project.

cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I love this thread. Keep the great pictures coming. I haven't yet, but do plan to dye someday. 😛
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Here's the two I've done...

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I have dyed a H1 ladybug hb navy blue and it turned very close to BRG. It was a few years ago and the color has been lightening up. I’ve also dyed the H1 man bug aqua blue and it turned a different blue/green color. The next one I’m thinking of is doing a jade dlc PM2 an emerald green. I saw someone here post a pic of a green Manix that came out really good. I think it will look cool with a black blade.
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

Natural g10 dyed with liquid sapphire blue.
Attachments
24F3F729-0FBB-4FD9-A340-BCDAF8347B84.jpeg
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Royal Blue

ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

only one, the RT2 also know as ""Red Tasman RiT Dye" :D

toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

From top to bottom...

CTS-XHP; former owner had sanded the G-10 = too smooth, picked up some new Cruwear scales and dyed them a dark Brown (added bronze stand-offs)

Cruwear; cleaned and dyed them a Pearl Gray which now looks like a light Denim color(added blue stand-offs)

S110V; dyed the scales a Royal Blue

LSS152

Post by LSS152 »

Wow you guys have been doing some good work!
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

Really nice! I'm trying to decide between this sapphire, yellow or red - can't decide which. BHQ had a recent vid on their process. I think they boiled their natural scales for a minute. I hope more post their results here. I have wanted to make a teal but haven't been sure how the jade g10 works exactly. But it looks like the color you add is the color you get and the jade is basically a neutral substrate that will allow for translucency.
Mstach07 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:21 am
Natural g10 dyed with liquid sapphire blue.
PStone

Post by PStone »

toxophilus wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:48 pm
From top to bottom...

CTS-XHP; former owner had sanded the G-10 = too smooth, picked up some new Cruwear scales and dyed them a dark Brown (added bronze stand-offs)

Cruwear; cleaned and dyed them a Pearl Gray which now looks like a light Denim color(added blue stand-offs)

Really digging that “denim” pearl gray color! What kind of clip is that?
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:03 am
toxophilus wrote:
From top to bottom...

That would be an MXGear clip for the Military; https://mxggear.com/collections/militar ... military-2
PStone

Post by PStone »

toxophilus wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:24 am
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:03 am
toxophilus wrote:
From top to bottom...

[img]

That would be an MXGear clip for the Military; https://mxggear.com/collections/militar ... military-2
Thanks much! I’ve heard of mxg, but didn’t realize they made clips for the Millie too. Am getting a plain one to try first.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Question for the Salt Rit Dyers...
Have any of you ever tried dyeing the knife without taking it apart? Just dipping the whole thing in there lock bar and all?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal