Post up your Rit dye projects..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: Post up your Rit dye projects..

Post by Woodpuppy »

Nice! I still need to strip my Cruwear millie. It’s “wine” and I want to go forest green.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

David---

Every time I see that knife of yours I ask myself, "Why isn't there a knife in Spyderco's entire inventory with the same profile?" It is a thing of beauty.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:34 pm
Another "failed" dye attempt tonight and it might actually be my favorite yet.

very nice. i'm still considering grey for mine if i ever get around to modding it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:34 pm
Another "failed" dye attempt tonight and it might actually be my favorite yet.

This is the color I tried for:

I use Rit dye remover each time I redye. These scales almost look like they're starting to be stripped of their original yellow:

Here's the result...definitely not "frost grey" that's for sure. They're somehow darker than when I tried to dye them black. It kinda reminds me of carbon fiber.

This is inside under a fluorescent light..they're definitely not yellow though.

Looks good to me, but I’m keeping mine red & black! ;)
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:15 pm

Looks good to me, but I’m keeping mine red & black! ;)

Ha! Yeah I also bought some more red and titanium dye, I had planned on doing this one in red too but that grey caught my eye and I gave it a try. I really wasn't expecting the result I got.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

For people who did not like the original yellow and black, your experiments show how easy it is to change the color. Who knows, maybe sales will increase?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Leksy

Post by Leksy »

Actually, I do not like not only yellow-black, but also G10 itself, but such stylish recolor mods push me closer and closer into the Carribean, huh
Leksy

Post by Leksy »

Here's my experiment with PS2.

At first, I've used Rid DyeMore (Taupe color) in a boiling water bath with vinegar mixture. Handle was dipped for a long time, but I was not satisfied with the result - it looked like just an "abused dirty yellow knife" (thought that Taupe color would set up darker).

Then I desided to use some black dye. The goal was to get the handle tip darker for more discreet carry in a black pants, and to match that black matte pocket clip; and not to lose high visibility from original yellow, so I made some fading. Now my PS looks a little more fancy (reminds me of chocolate banana cookie).

Also the handle is slightly modified (sanded down to smooth the edges).

z1r

Post by z1r »

Leksy wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:28 am

At first, I've used Rid DyeMore (Taupe color) in a boiling water bath with vinegar mixture. Handle was dipped for a long time, but I was not satisfied with the result - it looked like just an "abused dirty yellow knife" (thought that Taupe color would set up darker).

Then I desided to use some black dye. The goal was to get the handle tip darker for more discreet carry in a black pants, and to match that black matte pocket clip; and not to lose high visibility from original yellow, so I made some fading. Now my PS looks a little more fancy (reminds me of chocolate banana cookie).

I like. I was thinking of trying some type of fade on the Teal N5 I just got. Love the blade, the handle color not so much.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Leksy wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:28 am

https://i.imgur.com/RmHkFeZ.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/z9TYm7z.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/dJAqU5I.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/ILM2zpB.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/NtU996c.jpeg
That fade looks really good! Nicely done! :cool:
-Nick :bug-red
Leksy

Post by Leksy »

z1r wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:34 am
I like. I was thinking of trying some type of fade on the Teal N5 I just got. Love the blade, the handle color not so much.
Actually, I've spent a much time thinking about color for my Teal Endura. Online color mixers can help (example: https://cssgradient.io/). Teal color is somewhere around RGB [130, 210, 220]. You can google up real Rit color samples, pick the code with any browser plugin for color picking (like "Eye dropper Color picker" for G.Chrome), and make a fading gradient. So my conclusion was, that Teal color matches well with fade of blue (Rit: Denim Blue, Navy Blue, Midnight Blue etc..) and brown (Tan, Taupe, Dark Brown...). And I've bought that Taupe Rit Dye for my Teal Endura, but then have met good deal and traded it at local market. So then I have to use that dye for yellow PS2, the result is above :) To my mind, Taupe appears too light, I would pick some darker color.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Got some sapphire blue today. Took a whiole 10 minutes.

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Looks great!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:16 pm
Looks great!
Thanks, Wish I had dlc hardware. I think that would look really nice with this combo.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Non-Spydie content, but this thread inspired me to try dying some scales so here they are:

Used Rit Cherry Red with a few drop of Black. Both blades had different shades of Busse’s tan canvas micarta. Was a little worried about the low corrosion resistance of the SR-101 (52100,) so I only used hot water, dish soap, and dye in the mix, no salt or vinegar.

Was going for maroon and think they came out excellent. Almost threw my Manbug Salt in the mix, but left it as I like the yellow on my keys for high visibility.
:spyder:
FRNFanboy

Post by FRNFanboy »

I am amazed at how well FRN takes color.
IMG_2306.jpg
Zive

Post by Zive »

Very snazzy. Rarely see purple dye jobs but this really pops. Which color did you use to get there from teal?
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Failed purple dye, was trying for an amazing bright purple like above...

My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I like all of these dye jobs. Yours looks very denim-like, which I think is fantastic, and is definitely a color I wish for. No fail!
Last edited by cabfrank on Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

this thread makes me eager to get my yellow Pacific Salts in the mail. I have two projects in mind already.
:unicorn