Return of the G-10 Delica and Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Slumblor

Re: Return of the G-10 Delica and Endura

Post by Slumblor »

This thread got really interesting really fast!
Can't wait to see what this exclusive Delica is all about
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I wonder what color g10...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Spyder_MN

Post by Spyder_MN »

A G-10 Delica made in Golden with the same lock quality as the Native 5/Manix 2 BL would be satisfying. Prohibitively expensive, and sort of defeats the purpose of the Delica being inexpensive, but I'm allowed to imagine things, right? :D
-Caleb
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'm going to go ahead and ask.

What's the RockJumper?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Spyder_MN,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Oh I'm well aware of what John Q wants. He is not willing to pay even $1 more for a different color or handle material. He looks at knife x = $70 (vg-10, clip, lock, handle of some plastic matetial)
knife z = $100 (vg-10, clip, lock, handle of some NASA material)

If it checks all their boxes, they save $30 every chance they get
You are exactly right Landon. That was what happened with the last batch which were eventually discounted after sitting on shelves. They were great knives and well built but people were saying exactly what you related.

If there wasn't a steel upgrade to go along with G10 ( or carbon fiber) the same would happen again. Yes they are appreciated by us here as great knives but in general we aren't enough for a whole batch sales wise. Steel seems to be the biggest draw when it comes to sprints. The right steel at the right time makes people crazy but even that ends eventually. Despite it's performance S30V isn't an in demand steel any more though it sure started out that way. Change it to M390 and suddenly it's pre order customers only. Cruwear also sells really well now.

Joe
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

John Q - sounds like those I categorise as knows the price of everything and the value of nothing!!!
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

If you postulate that there are basically three markets for Spyderco knives (there may be more, but three is good enough for a discussion) then in order for a given knife to be economically successful it will have to satisfy enough people within those three markets.
1. Collectors - this is probably the toughest. People collect for different reasons - certain models, certain colors or materials, steels, etc. If a given knife doesn’t fall into a collector’s category, then it won’t sell.
2. Knife aficionados - a critical bunch, knowledgeable about knife design, materials, steels, etc., but not constrained by collecting criteria. These share many characteristics with collectors and may buy a knife because it is an interesting design, has good or exotic steel, etc. Or just because it will be such an excellent user for certain tasks.
3. General pubic - This is likely the largest market and is certainly price sensitive, but I suspect that price alone does not drive buying decisions. It is important but from the vast number of lower cost, not necessarily the lowest cost, knives out there that are made and bought, design, “coolness” factors (like so-called tactical knives), flippers, ball bearings, take-down designs, etc., prove more important than the lowest price.

Unfortunately for us, while afi’s and collectors may clamor for certain knives, they may not make good business sense for the maker. One reason I like Spyderco knives more than other brands is the constant variety in design and materials they produce. I also like it that some knives go out of production never to return. That alone demonstrates that Spyderco isn’t a mass-producer looking to constantly maximize return on investment.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:10 pm

What's the RockJumper?
Also interested!

Plus, the Endela sounds rather neat. A slightly bigger delica or slightly smaller endura would fit my hands much better!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

sal wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:42 pm
There's an exclusive G-10 Delica coming out.

sal
NICE!!! :D John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:19 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:10 pm

What's the RockJumper?
Also interested!

Plus, the Endela sounds rather neat. A slightly bigger delica or slightly smaller endura would fit my hands much better!

to me that sounds like an (improbable) love child of the Rock Salt and the Jumpmaster :D :rolleyes:
► Show Spoiler
And Endela, like Endura + Terzuola which adopts the shape of a Tanto-ish long and tough blade with a fuller of sorts :p :cool:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Endela is a city in Namibia. Other than that I don't know any other meanings. It has me curious as usual.

Joe
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Tanto Endura?
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

sal wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:42 pm
There's an exclusive G-10 Delica coming out. We'll watch it. Too soon to say much about the Endela.

sal
Excellent news Sal! Thank you so much :D.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:39 pm
Tanto Endura?
Tandura. It's a tanto version of the Endura with Coyote FRN scales only :p.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

weeping minora wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:58 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Tanto Endura?
Only meant for people who spend their days in the sun
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:01 pm
weeping minora wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:58 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Tanto Endura?
Only meant for people who spend their days in the sun
The ultimate outdoor pocket knife ;).
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Mastiff wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:57 am
Oh I'm well aware of what John Q wants. He is not willing to pay even $1 more for a different color or handle material. He looks at knife x = $70 (vg-10, clip, lock, handle of some plastic matetial)
knife z = $100 (vg-10, clip, lock, handle of some NASA material)

If it checks all their boxes, they save $30 every chance they get
You are exactly right Landon. That was what happened with the last batch which were eventually discounted after sitting on shelves. They were great knives and well built but people were saying exactly what you related.

If there wasn't a steel upgrade to go along with G10 ( or carbon fiber) the same would happen again. Yes they are appreciated by us here as great knives but in general we aren't enough for a whole batch sales wise. Steel seems to be the biggest draw when it comes to sprints. The right steel at the right time makes people crazy but even that ends eventually. Despite it's performance S30V isn't an in demand steel any more though it sure started out that way. Change it to M390 and suddenly it's pre order customers only. Cruwear also sells really well now.

Joe

Steel choice is definitely key with sprints in my opinion, and it is all about the current hype around the steel when the knife drops. As said, there is nothing wrong with VG10 or S30V, but the hype is gone from these steels and sales would probably be slow with a sprint in these steels. I feel like S90V is heading that way as well. If the g10 delica is in superblue or hap40, id bet on hot sales, but vg10 or s30v will probably sit on shelves with the higher price point. something new like supergold would probably sell as well.

G10/FRN color definitely plays a role too. I dont think many people would pay more for one color vs another, but it definitely makes or breaks some sales. some people just dont want another black knife. same with scale texture. i love cruwear and would love to buy another pm2 in cruwear at retail price, but black doesnt excite me and the smooth g10 is a deal breaker. if the knives were easier to dissassenble or reassemble id buy one and scale swap, but the flared lanyard tubes are a huge pain to remove. had this cruwear sprint had some non-black colored g10 with normal textured g10 id have bought a few.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The Mastiff wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:19 pm
Endela is a city in Namibia. Other than that I don't know any other meanings. It has me curious as usual.

Joe
I’m pretty sure it’s a portmanteau of “Endura” and “Delica”
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Wharncliffe Delica with Emerson Wave for quick-deploy MBC reverse grip (edge out) use.