~4 month SE Salt 2 EDC update

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

~4 month SE Salt 2 EDC update

Post by Evil D »

I gave a buddy this Salt 2 earlier this year, I think it's been about 4-5 months. He isn't a knife guy but definitely is a knife user, and I've been slowly feeding his knife interest over the years and building him up from lesser quality knives to finally getting him a Spyderco. I knew that he liked combo edges because of how serrations will still rip through things when the rest of the edge has dulled, so I showed him the full (well, 80%) SE Salt and he was all about the DLC version so that's what he got.

The fun part of giving knives for me is checking back with them to see how they're being used. I don't bother giving them to people who don't use them, what's the fun in that? I'm also his dedicated sharpener and I was really concerned about what the teeth would look like after surely getting beat on but fortunately I only had to smooth out one badly rolled point. The rest of the blade sharpened back up fairly easily. He did comment that he would like to have another inch or so of PE at the tip so it seems he does still prefer combo edge. Overall though I don't think there exists a better option for a harder use beater knife for someone who will likely use their knife for things they shouldn't. A couple weeks after he got it, he messaged me saying he couldn't believe how sharp it was and how the serrations cut through anything, then told me about how he cut up a pop can...lol.

Anyway here's some pics. Let's see if Photobucket let's me embed..

I think most of the scratches are just transfer marks but I didn't get enough time to try to wipe them off. The pivot and lock action were still perfect.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Re: ~4 month SE Salt 2 EDC update

Post by steelcity16 »

That's awesome. I love the Salts, especially the serrated H1. I have a few Salt 1s, but I definitely need to grab a Salt 2 to try. The Pacific Salt in SE H1 is becoming one of my favorites. I really wish that the new Native Salt was H1 in SE and LC200N in PE. I think that would be the way to go if they could do H1 in Golden-made knives logistically.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

The Pacific Salt and the sprint Spyderhawk have become my go-to put-through-sh*t knives. I never would have thought a year or two ago that my hard use knives would be serrated edged linerless FRN knives.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Unsurprising results, these knives are beasts. I'm about to take my SE Pacific Salt on a 1400 mile bicycle trip.
:unicorn
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Love the photos. That to me is how a good user / EDC knife should look, sharp but looks used.

Can't wait to get my HI Salts.

Your photo reminds me I probably need to touch up my SE Endura and put the sharp points back on.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

500Nitro wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:40 pm
Love the photos. That to me is how a good user / EDC knife should look, sharp but looks used.

Can't wait to get my HI Salts.

Your photo reminds me I probably need to touch up my SE Endura and put the sharp points back on.

I actually prefer mine a little rounded but sharpened with an edge. They still penetrate but snag less.
~David
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:45 pm
I actually prefer mine a little rounded but sharpened with an edge. They still penetrate but snag less.
Yes, true, now that you mention it. Long time since I had sharp points on mine but still remember it snagging.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Best hard use knife! I take mine swimming in the ocean, pool, beach, yard work, random stuff around the house. Lightweight too, it carries best IWB of any folder I own. 3 o'clock and you forget it is there, which is awesome for a big folder.

My only problem with the knife is that sub 1 inch PE section at the tip gets dull when super fast.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZMW wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:43 pm

My only problem with the knife is that sub 1 inch PE section at the tip gets dull when super fast.

That's what surprised me about him wanting more PE, but honestly the knives and steel he's used to hold an edge worse than PE H1 so it's still a step up for his uses. I also like that it's tough so the edge damage it sees will be easier for me to fix. I'm just glad to see it's getting a lot of use. I think the round tip is perfect for him.
~David
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:33 pm

That's what surprised me about him wanting more PE, but honestly the knives and steel he's used to hold an edge worse than PE H1 so it's still a step up for his uses. I also like that it's tough so the edge damage it sees will be easier for me to fix. I'm just glad to see it's getting a lot of use. I think the round tip is perfect for him.
Good point on the round tip, it does make that knife a durable beast
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

It’s always nice when non-knife people are impressed. I feel a little more justified and less crazy.😜
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SF Native wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:43 pm
It’s always nice when non-knife people are impressed. I feel a little more justified and less crazy.😜

I think there's something to be said about a completely unbiased opinion. I do appreciate opinions by people who handle a lot of knives, obviously there's experience there that has value but there's also inevitably some bias too. With a guy who does use knives a lot but doesn't have all the brand/steel hype and bias I think you get a more straight forward opinion about actual use that isn't jaded or influenced. When a guy goes on and on about a Para 2 it's hard for me to not think there's a little hype influence just because it's so popular. This guy has no idea what a Para 2 is, so he is also likely easier to impress too.
~David
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Great, thanks for the update!
I've found that the Salts are be the ideal giveaway quality knives for people in need of good OHO folders, as most knives I've seen that I gave or gifted were damaged in the most part by rust, oxidation or low maintenance, something that can't hurt the Salts. :cool:

The tough non chippy steel, easy to sharpen blades and durability of the SE's cutting power are all three key points as well that make them appropriate for non knife people :rolleyes:

Being lightweight and easy to operate and simple in design (backlocks, no hardware or liners or screws etc.) are also pluses that tend to not scare away new users unlike more modern and complex, feature-rich designs :o
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

This post made me go back and grab all 4 of my Seki spydies, all FRN back locks, and I did a quick test on which ones had the must vertical play.

Dragonfly salt had the most, which makes sense. Stretch (with liners) had the second most vert play, but it was much better then the DF2. Delica was a little better with minimal play, and my 4th one being the Pac Salt had ZERO vertical play. That lock is solid!

With no liners I found this amazing. And I have used that knife a lot. Does anyone else have zero vertical play on their Pac Salt???
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote:
ZMW wrote:

There used to be some SE knives with 3/4" -ish Plain edge near the tip. Those are kind of my favorite.

There are a handful of people on the forums who are on the committee to get more SE knives with that 3/4" (plus or minus) of PE on SE blades.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:10 pm
Evil D wrote:
ZMW wrote:

There used to be some SE knives with 3/4" -ish Plain edge near the tip. Those are kind of my favorite.

There are a handful of people on the forums who are on the committee to get more SE knives with that 3/4" (plus or minus) of PE on SE blades.

I'm really opening up to the idea of combo edges in general. I may try to find him a CE Delica.
~David
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

The SE Salt 2 is my new EDC for about 2 months and it's a great knife, honestly I don't miss my Delica.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

ZMW wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:34 pm

With no liners I found this amazing. And I have used that knife a lot. Does anyone else have zero vertical play on their Pac Salt???
well I have 13 Salts,
six of which are Pacifics and only one of them has noticeable blade play :cool: (the oldest and most used) and another one has very slight play, unnoticeable in use (the second one I've used the most) :rolleyes:

so yes that surprised me given that I've had tons of knives with play, backlocks, midlocks, framelocks, and linerlocks most of which were linered or apparently tougher, heavier or stronger :confused:
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Evil D I love this post and would love you to continue to give updates on how your buddy is liking the knife as well as pics!
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

tonijedi wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:08 am
The SE Salt 2 is my new EDC for about 2 months and it's a great knife, honestly I don't miss my Delica.
Now that this thread has been bumped up I realise I've been carrying the SE Salt 2 for more than a year, almost exclusively. What a knife, I still want the PE version to go along with the one I own.