Your favorite/“the best” Paramilitary

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SC_PATRIOT

Re: Your favorite/“the best” Paramilitary

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Without a doubt is the CTS XHP dlc version. The metal works great on taking an edge. I want to use my Elmax but it is too dang nice. :)
Instagram: @my_blade_life
Spyderco only EDC... :D
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

quote=adamweld post_id=1241584 time=1529564364 user_id=34223]

Wonderful scales. Are they from aratech.ru?

Also is there anywhere one can purchase OEM scales? I'd love to throw some jade scales on the cruwear that's on its way to me right now.
[/quote]

Yup. Found him selling this in Amazon. He makes a used and a "grand" line with other grooves cut in that look nice. These we're ready made and in stock. Only downside is that if you have deep carry clip it might not fit in the flattened out cutout in the contouring. I have a "not so deep carry clip" that fit nicely.

Many custom makers make a "Jade g10 scale". I approached another maker a bout some shred CF for my Para3.
CryptoOutlaw

Post by CryptoOutlaw »

I have yet to buy a Spyderco. I came across this forum after being less than pleased with BladeForums and the mall ninjas who run it. I mainly carry Emerson's and have owned several over the years. My favorite of all time is the CQC -15, but it as well as my Mini Roadhouse was personally signed by Ernest Emerson at BLADE show 2018, so they are now retired to the collector display case. What Spyderco would you recommend that would be on par with the CQC -15? I've always wanted a Spyderco, just never bought one yet.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:42 pm
That looks really nice. I like the look of something that is loved and used. And I would be glad to have more Micarta scales on my knives -- it just feels really good in hand Thanks for posting it.
Thanks Tom!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

CryptoOutlaw wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:48 pm
I have yet to buy a Spyderco. I came across this forum after being less than pleased with BladeForums and the mall ninjas who run it. I mainly carry Emerson's and have owned several over the years. My favorite of all time is the CQC -15, but it as well as my Mini Roadhouse was personally signed by Ernest Emerson at BLADE show 2018, so they are now retired to the collector display case. What Spyderco would you recommend that would be on par with the CQC -15? I've always wanted a Spyderco, just never bought one yet.
Man you should try out the PM2, the handle is not all that dissimilar and it’s just bad@ss in general!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:33 pm

Man you should try out the PM2, the handle is not all that dissimilar and it’s just bad@ss in general!
+1 to this
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I just can’t bring myself to choose a favorite/“best” PM2 from the S30V, M390, 204P, S110V, M4, and 52100 ones I have. Any will do just fine.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
LSS152

Post by LSS152 »

I dressed my PM 2 up with some carbon
Attachments
Carbon Para1.jpg
Carbon Para1.jpg (37.44 KiB) Viewed 4899 times
LSS152

Post by LSS152 »

one more
Attachments
Carbon Para3.jpg
Carbon Para3.jpg (35.38 KiB) Viewed 4896 times
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

LSS152 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:35 am
I dressed my PM 2 up with some carbon
Those are sweet scales, where’d you get them? I was thinking about finding some some smooth CF scales for my 52100 but honestly the texture of the peel-ply CF has really grown on me.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

These are my favorites and “the best” PM2s IMHO. :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:13 pm

I'm more jelly than a KY factory right now.

Where'd you get the scales for the one with the satin m4 blade? ****, list all if you don't mind. I want to expand my pm2 collection!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:04 pm

Where'd you get the scales for the one with the satin m4 blade? ****, list all if you don't mind. I want to expand my pm2 collection!
Thank you, that’s very kind! This pic is a few years in the making, and it would be difficult to pull it off again given that half the scale makers in the pic are not making scales these days. Thankfully the first three are still available! Listed from top to bottom, they are:

1. Aramis Akhmedov “grand” style 3D-contoured smooth CF scales with a matching sculpted CF clip (and both very high quality CF I might add...) with the latest BHQ exclusive DLC CPM-M4 blade.
2. Same maker as #1, 3D-contoured silver twill G10 scales (also lovely stuff) with the latest KC exclusive CPM-CRUWEAR blade.
3. Flytanium blasted titanium scales with the CS exclusive CTS-XHP blade.
4. Steve Ketchen maroon Micarta scales with a matching geared sawtooth Micarta backspacer in the first BHQ exclusive CPM-M4 blade.
5. Casey Lynch (Lynch NW, same dude who makes the deep carry clips and a good friend of mine) hard anodized aluminum scales with his Golden ratio design and a CPM-S110V blade.
6. Also Lynch, these are titanium scales in the same design with my Maxamet blade. This particular one is my favorite and sees the most carry time, but all of them are carried and used.

I should also add that Casey’s sets are single liner-deletes, in that you only use the stock lockbar liner. The clip side of Casey’s scales incorporate the D-shaped pivot hole that the stepped pivot mechanism sits in, and of course each sports a matching deep carry clip.

Steve Ketchen’s scales are ridiculously high quality too but he seems to have dropped off the map and isn’t even online anymore. Finding the Akhmedov scales was a real treat this year, I first bought the silver twill ones since I love that material so much, but I was blown away by the high quality of them - easily on par with Steve’s work (and Steve didn’t work with CF). He’s located in Russia so it takes a bit for his stuff to arrive but it’s well worth it. He sells scales both on eBay and on Amazon. Highly recommended!

So that’s the pile as it stands currently, as I mentioned at least three or so years in the making give or take. :eek: Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Thank you very much for all that info!
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:21 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:04 pm

Thank you, that’s very kind! This pic is a few years in the making, and it would be difficult to pull it off again given that half the scale makers in the pic are not making scales these days. Thankfully the first three are still available! Listed from top to bottom, they are:

1. Aramis Akhmedov “grand” style 3D-contoured smooth CF scales with a matching sculpted CF clip (and both very high quality CF I might add...) with the latest BHQ exclusive DLC CPM-M4 blade.
2. Same maker as #1, 3D-contoured silver twill G10 scales (also lovely stuff) with the latest KC exclusive CPM-CRUWEAR blade.
3. Flytanium blasted titanium scales with the CS exclusive CTS-XHP blade.
4. Steve Ketchen maroon Micarta scales with a matching geared sawtooth Micarta backspacer in the first BHQ exclusive CPM-M4 blade.
5. Casey Lynch (Lynch NW, same dude who makes the deep carry clips and a good friend of mine) hard anodized aluminum scales with his Golden ratio design and a CPM-S110V blade.
6. Also Lynch, these are titanium scales in the same design with my Maxamet blade. This particular one is my favorite and sees the most carry time, but all of them are carried and used.

I should also add that Casey’s sets are single liner-deletes, in that you only use the stock lockbar liner. The clip side of Casey’s scales incorporate the D-shaped pivot hole that the stepped pivot mechanism sits in, and of course each sports a matching deep carry clip.

Steve Ketchen’s scales are ridiculously high quality too but he seems to have dropped off the map and isn’t even online anymore. Finding the Akhmedov scales was a real treat this year, I first bought the silver twill ones since I love that material so much, but I was blown away by the high quality of them - easily on par with Steve’s work (and Steve didn’t work with CF). He’s located in Russia so it takes a bit for his stuff to arrive but it’s well worth it. He sells scales both on eBay and on Amazon. Highly recommended!

So that’s the pile as it stands currently, as I mentioned at least three or so years in the making give or take. :eek: Cheers, Radioactive :)
I got aramis non grand carbon fiber scales but I wanted grand line that was not in stock. I don't regret the regular cf scales. There really nice.

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Don’t have one yet, but, my want list is the 52100 version!
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:13 pm
The micarta looks SUPER comfortable....love them all.
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

Darth_cholo wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:42 am
I got aramis non grand carbon fiber scales but I wanted grand line that was not in stock. I don't regret the regular cf scales. There really nice.
What did you use for the CF background?
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:08 pm
Don’t have one yet, but, my want list is the 52100 version!
Easily the best IMO
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Just put regular spyderco black scales on my Cruwear pm2...

Yeah... This is my favorite until further notice.

Hoping to get an m4 pm2 sometime soon and some of the best scales in the market. Maybe that'll take the cake then.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?