Your favorite/“the best” Paramilitary

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Re: Your favorite/“the best” Paramilitary

Post by Pelagic »

I've only owned one pm2, the new cruwear model. But I'd have to say my favorites would be the Maxamet model in gray g10 and the cruwear model in gray g10. If i could only have 2, those would absolutely be my choices.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Definitely my BBS PM2. Favorite color and favorite steel. I was so glad when BBS did another run of these last year and I was able to snag one. Image

Second favorite is my orange/DLC M4 para.

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Blue, dark red, orange, yellow, and white scales seem to be really popular among sprint runs and exclusives. While there will always be a place for black, camo, and especially gray imo, blue and red seem to really sell out quickly. The salt fans love their yellow and I've seen quite a bit of interest in white in here as well. Blurple, while it has grown on me, just doesn't seem as fitting.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

I only have the S110V PM2 (due to unavailability of Maxamet/CRU) and I have really liked it. I touched it up on the sharpmaker stones and it wasnt as hard as i thought it would be and it got hair popping sharp again.

It's a hard decision to decide between the top tier steels on the PM2, IMO which are:

Maxamet - CRUWEAR - S110V - M390 - M4

S30V is no slouch either!

I wonder if you handed someone 6 identical, unmarked PM2s, each with a different steel, if they could tell the difference between using/sharpening them...
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

What is the appeal of the S35vn paramilitary other than variety? I understand wanting variety but what does it offer that a standard S30v pm2 doesn't? I have a few pm2s in different steels but I don't understand the attraction and fanfare of the s35vn variant.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
vivi

Post by vivi »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:41 am
What is the appeal of the S35vn paramilitary other than variety? I understand wanting variety but what does it offer that a standard S30v pm2 doesn't? I have a few pm2s in different steels but I don't understand the attraction and fanfare of the s35vn variant.
Some people are weird and don't want to own two Spydercos that use the same steel, even if that steel does everything really well. I don't understand it, but it is a reason I know comes into play for some.
:unicorn
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

For me, I wanted the S35VN mainly for the handle scales. I wanted a fairly larger knife, that still had a classy look to it with that subtle brown/tan. I also wanted it because you don't see it around all that often. Where many scream for the super steels, just to cut some cardboard or food and never utilize the capability of the steel, and pay a heck of a lot more money for that steel, I'd rather have something I know I can sharpen fairly easily as well.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Left Hand!!

It's pushed aside all other steel/scales options for me.

Before they came out I had a special fondness for the standard blacked out version:

I'm also a sucker for peel-ply cf (154/s90v) and had the dark gray Cruwear sprint, but sold them all off when the lefties came out.
:spyder:
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

A really hard question to answer. The D2 is perhaps the smoothest Spydie I have. For a good while, the 20CP was my favorite. At present, any of the M390's could be my favorite, red, blue, cf, they're all great, but the cf seems to stand out, so it would be my "best". M390 is such a fantastic steel, gets insanely sharp, holds it's edge, and has excellent stainless qualities.
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

I think the "best" one is the one you use. It's the "best" model because it comes in almost any color or steel that you want. I favor the Manix 2 models and they have almost the same variery. The other great thing is all the aftermarket customization support.

My favorite is this cruwear I just customized followed by peel ply CF M4 Wich is the more practical carbon fiber scale.

adamweld

Post by adamweld »

Darth_cholo wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:45 pm
I think the "best" one is the one you use. It's the "best" model because it comes in almost any color or steel that you want. I favor the Manix 2 models and they have almost the same variery. The other great thing is all the aftermarket customization support.

My favorite is this cruwear I just customized followed by peel ply CF M4 Wich is the more practical carbon fiber scale.

Wonderful scales. Are they from aratech.ru?

Also is there anywhere one can purchase OEM scales? I'd love to throw some jade scales on the cruwear that's on its way to me right now.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

All round, this must be my ultimate PM2:
CPM Cruwear blade, and comfy contoured black canvas micarta scales from G10.lt. I didn't like the feel of the square edged, slab sided, smooth G10 scales. These ones are perfect, with their fibrous, 'grippier when wet', worn jeans feel. And Cruwear strikes the right balance of toughness, strength, sharpenability, edge fineness and stability; and corrosion resistance for my purposes. :cool: :) :cool:
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

^^Can't get enough of posting that picture can ya!?!
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I have 5, all in different steels and the fully serrated is hard to beat. It gets carried more than the rest.

:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

RickC27 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:30 am
^^Can't get enough of posting that picture can ya!?!
LOL, yeah, you got me, I probably overcooked that one a bit huh? But hey, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Feels better in hand than it looks. My last aftermarket PM2 scales were chamfered edges, which felt fine, but I think I'll go with contoured edges all the way from now on. :)

Sorry for the 'spam' blast. ;) Here's my other 'favourite' - ok my only other PM2, in plain jane S30V.
Maybe it's just that the alumina based stones I'd been using weren't the best fit for the steel, but I was always kinda hankering for a different bladesteel. Cruwear fits the bill nicely.. ;)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:16 am
Cruwear fits the bill nicely.. ;)
It sure does. What an excellent blade steel. Unless I'm looking specifically for maximum edge retention or something ABSOLUTELY rust proof (which is rare despite living and fishing in saltwater environments), I will be buying exclusively CRUWEAR and steels similar to CRUWEAR from now on.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Resized_20180621_121449.jpeg
Something about those Olive Green scales, black hardware and DLC blade have made this my favorite knife in my collection...in terms of looks.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:01 am
All round, this must be my ultimate PM2:
CPM Cruwear blade, and comfy contoured black canvas micarta scales from G10.lt. I didn't like the feel of the square edged, slab sided, smooth G10 scales. These ones are perfect, with their fibrous, 'grippier when wet', worn jeans feel. And Cruwear strikes the right balance of toughness, strength, sharpenability, edge fineness and stability; and corrosion resistance for my purposes. :cool: :) :cool:
That looks really nice. I like the look of something that is loved and used. And I would be glad to have more Micarta scales on my knives -- it just feels really good in hand Thanks for posting it.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Grey Cruwear sprint for me! It has a nice, strong detent and the action feels smoother than any of the others for some reason. Cruwear steal is excellent too of course.

A close second is the Red M390.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

RickC27 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:22 am
Resized_20180621_121449.jpeg

Something about those Olive Green scales, black hardware and DLC blade have made this my favorite knife in my collection...in terms of looks.
That is a looker! I was considering gifting my black/DLC PM2 to a friend and then buying the OD/DLC. I checked DLT's website the other night and I realized I'm too late. Oh well, too many knife purchases happening lately anyway.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!