Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Post by vivi »

https://streamable.com/gfhxo

I always use method #2 with Spydercos, and method #1 with my cold steel voyager that uses a thumb stud. Method #3 is how you can close them with your fingers out of the way, swinging the blade as effortlessly as any free swinging comp lock.

Breaking in the knife makes this easier. Backlocks tend to be stiff the first month. Keep that in mind before letting yourself feel frustrated your new VTOKU Endura doesn't swing shut as easily as a 10 year old Pacific Salt.
:unicorn
Evil D

Re: Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Post by Evil D »

I'm sure it works well enough for larger knives with lots of handle but I tried this with a Dragonfly and it didn't go so well (method 3 I mean). I just accept that they're not compression locks or CBBL's and use the first method. I'm sure I could learn it but I don't really feel a need, it's not like the first method is difficult. The whole dropping closed in one motion thing is more of a novelty than a necessity even though I do greatly prefer being able to do so. It just feels too awkward with a back lock any smaller than a Pacific and even my Spyderhawk feels weird to me. I feel like the only reason I'd learn this is just to compete with the compression lock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

I usually use #1, have not been able to do #3 with my smaller lockbacks. A good lockback is a joy to use!
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Use all 3 methods with my Pac Salt.

Thanks for posting Vivi.

Gifting my dad a Pac Salt SE tomorrow and will include this video.
C
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I most always use some variation of method 2. I like the control. I never use 3. I use method 1 on knives other than Spyderco.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I always use the 1st method. I have tried the other two but the 1st method is intuitive and effortless for me. Some knives (like the Caly) require you to be more careful and make sure your finger is forward...so on those I am careful and make sure my finger is forward. :) I've closed a Pacific Salt like that thousands of times on a moving kayak without incident. Nothing to it.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

1st method, it's just natural.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Weird. Those are all inferior to the correct method: press spine against leg to close. It’s going back in your pocket. It just came out of your pocket. Nearly everyone has legs. Works on every lock type too.
ScottieG59

Post by ScottieG59 »

I am fine with some, but my index finger won't even slightly depress the the lock release on my Endura 4.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Method 2 FTW.
vivi

Post by vivi »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:52 pm
Weird. Those are all inferior to the correct method: press spine against leg to close. It’s going back in your pocket. It just came out of your pocket. Nearly everyone has legs. Works on every lock type too.
Different folks find different methods most intuitive. I only do #2 but a lot of people here do #1. My buddy uses your method.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

I do method 2 except once I get it unlocked I use my index finger to move it some then finish closing it with my thumb.

So much easier and less repositioning with a Military or Sage 3.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
vivi

Post by vivi »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:59 pm
I do method 2 except once I get it unlocked I use my index finger to move it some then finish closing it with my thumb.

I like lockbacks more than liner locks because I value a folder that stays closed under most any circumstance, but liner locks are a little quicker and easier to operate. Liners locks and frame locks always felt quick and intuitive to operate for me.
Donut

Post by Donut »

My mind prefers Method 2, but I've used all three of those at different times.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:38 am
I always use the 1st method. I have tried the other two but the 1st method is intuitive and effortless for me. Some knives (like the Caly) require you to be more careful and make sure your finger is forward...so on those I am careful and make sure my finger is forward. :) I've closed a Pacific Salt like that thousands of times on a moving kayak without incident. Nothing to it.
+1 on the method and Caly. Not the “whilst wrestling with sea monsters in a kayak”, though.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:41 am
HarleyXJGuy wrote:

I like lockbacks more than liner locks because I value a folder that stays closed under most any circumstance, but liner locks are a little quicker and easier to operate. Liners locks and frame locks always felt quick and intuitive to operate for me.
You ever had a liner lock close on you while cutting things?

I haven’t either.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Mostly #1 & #2, depends on the knife and the situation/conditions at the time. Of course since I only have 1 functional arm/hand I open/close everything 1-handed :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This option #3 makes me wonder if a back lock could be moved even closer to the pivot to deliberately benefit index finger operation. Maybe that plus a lighter spring could make it a much easier lock to operate with a weaker finger. A weaker spring doesn't have to mean a weaker lock, consider how soft the Omega Spring is in an Axis lock...granted these are completely different types of locks and springs but I think with some tweaking you could make a back lock just as reliable but with a much softer spring.

But like everything else, is this a solution looking for a problem? My first Spyderco was the original Native and I thought it was genius how the choil fell onto your finger when closing. Back locks are one lock type that I think should always be paired with a 50/50 choil for this reason, especially since otherwise the kick is just wasted space anyway, it may as well be shaped into a choil if it has to be there.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:08 am
Vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:41 am
HarleyXJGuy wrote:

You ever had a liner lock close on you while cutting things?

I haven’t either.
I have a scar from where a Millie opened while carrying it IWB.

Have you gotten a scar from a lockback opening in your pocket? I haven't either.
KP

Post by KP »

Thanks for the video. Good methods.

As noted before, some don't work well on the smaller/lighter models.

Does anyone have videos for ways to open?
Depending on the situation that could be more important.