Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HarleyXJGuy

Re: Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:53 pm
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:08 am
Vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:41 am
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:59 pm
I do method 2 except once I get it unlocked I use my index finger to move it some then finish closing it with my thumb.

So much easier and less repositioning with a Military or Sage 3.
I like lockbacks more than liner locks because I value a folder that stays closed under most any circumstance, but liner locks are a little quicker and easier to operate. Liners locks and frame locks always felt quick and intuitive to operate for me.
You ever had a liner lock close on you while cutting things?

I haven’t either.
I have a scar from where a Millie opened while carrying it IWB.

Have you gotten a scar from a lockback opening in your pocket? I haven't either.
Touché.

Never had any knife open in my pocket but I thought we were talking about a knife closing on you?
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've never had a lock fail and cause a knife to close on me. The liner lock on the millie, frame lock on my old Leek, comp lock on my Para 2" ball locks, lockbacks etc. They all work great at keeping the blade locked open.

My issue with detent based locks is the blade coming open in my pocket or carried IWB or in a pack. I've had all three happen.

For my uses detent based locks have no advantage, only disadvantages.
:unicorn
cwp

Post by cwp »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:53 pm
I have a scar from where a Millie opened while carrying it IWB.

Have you gotten a scar from a lockback opening in your pocket? I haven't either.
My wife nearly took her fingertip off when a lockback opened in her purse. But I consider this to be more of an indictment of purse carry than of lockbacks per se.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:11 pm
I've never had a lock fail and cause a knife to close on me. The liner lock on the millie, frame lock on my old Leek, comp lock on my Para 2" ball locks, lockbacks etc. They all work great at keeping the blade locked open.

My issue with detent based locks is the blade coming open in my pocket or carried IWB or in a pack. I've had all three happen.

For my uses detent based locks have no advantage, only disadvantages.

I've had two knives cut me when the lock gave in and failed, a framelock and a liner lock. :(
I've also had only two knives come open inadvertently and cut me, both framelocks. :mad:

Since then I've almost given up on framelocks and linerlocks, but in all truth I've had one backlock "fail" (a TriAd nonetheless) but it was totally user error. The lock got stuffed with lint and grit and couldn't engage because there was material in between the locking faces. :o

I didn't realise that and the knife folded on me, cutting two of my fingers, one badly and one just superficially
► Show Spoiler
vivi

Post by vivi »

If it doesn't *click* open, double check before cutting :)
:unicorn
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:32 pm
If it doesn't *click* open, double check before cutting :)

there were two lawn mowing machines in the background 20ft away :o
40mm

Post by 40mm »

I am all about method #1. Has become a muscle memory thing and my favorite way to close a knife. Spyderco lock backs have ruined me I think. I recently picked up a Mini Grip as a romantic type thing as it was the first knife I ever owned. I can't do it. Love the lock back and lack of thumb stud. Also the Mini Grip has almost diced me twice opening up while drawing from my pocket and my waistband. Thumb stud catches on pants material and opens up waaayyyy to easily. Blade retention on it is very weak.
APS

Post by APS »

I use method 1 except my thumb does not go to the hole, it goes to the spine of the blade. Since I don't have to find the hole I can close without looking at the knife. Generally only carry lockbacks now due to closing bias but I purchase and enjoy the other locks types as well.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

I do the same with index finger moving to the spine to close.
APS wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:43 am
I use method 1 except my thumb does not go to the hole, it goes to the spine of the blade. Since I don't have to find the hole I can close without looking at the knife. Generally only carry lockbacks now due to closing bias but I purchase and enjoy the other locks types as well.
Hank Scorpio

Post by Hank Scorpio »

I use methods 1 and 2 interchangeably, but like you guys I go to the spine with either my index finger or thumb for the finish.
40mm wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:45 am
I do the same with index finger moving to the spine to close.
APS wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:43 am
I use method 1 except my thumb does not go to the hole, it goes to the spine of the blade.
Currently enjoying the most pocket time:
:spyder: Sage 5 FRN, Watu :spyder:
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:52 pm
Weird. Those are all inferior to the correct method: press spine against leg to close. It’s going back in your pocket. It just came out of your pocket. Nearly everyone has legs. Works on every lock type too.
I agree. I use this method the vast majority of the time.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I use 1 and 2 mostly, and occasionally 3 on my Pacific Salt. Using 3, I think you need a big handle to make sure all of your hand is completely out of the way of the blade.
PStone

Post by PStone »

I use method #1 on my lockbacks. I even use that method on my compression locks. I use a mid-lockback so often, and for so long, that it has just become natural to use my thumb.
gonzokat86

Post by gonzokat86 »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:52 pm
Weird. Those are all inferior to the correct method: press spine against leg to close. It’s going back in your pocket. It just came out of your pocket. Nearly everyone has legs. Works on every lock type too.
This this way I’ve always done it. I never thought about different ways to close it. Always came natural