Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi
Member
Posts: 7425
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Postby vivi » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:02 am

https://streamable.com/gfhxo

I always use method #2 with Spydercos, and method #1 with my cold steel voyager that uses a thumb stud. Method #3 is how you can close them with your fingers out of the way, swinging the blade as effortlessly as any free swinging comp lock.

Breaking in the knife makes this easier. Backlocks tend to be stiff the first month. Keep that in mind before letting yourself feel frustrated your new VTOKU Endura doesn't swing shut as easily as a 10 year old Pacific Salt.
Current carry rotation:

Pacific Salt 2 LC200N | Manix XL M4 DLC | Aqua Salt

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22170
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Postby Evil D » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:37 am

I'm sure it works well enough for larger knives with lots of handle but I tried this with a Dragonfly and it didn't go so well (method 3 I mean). I just accept that they're not compression locks or CBBL's and use the first method. I'm sure I could learn it but I don't really feel a need, it's not like the first method is difficult. The whole dropping closed in one motion thing is more of a novelty than a necessity even though I do greatly prefer being able to do so. It just feels too awkward with a back lock any smaller than a Pacific and even my Spyderhawk feels weird to me. I feel like the only reason I'd learn this is just to compete with the compression lock.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

J D Wijbenga
Member
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Postby J D Wijbenga » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:07 am

I usually use #1, have not been able to do #3 with my smaller lockbacks. A good lockback is a joy to use!

User avatar
Calicoast
Member
Posts: 384
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:09 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Postby Calicoast » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:27 am

Use all 3 methods with my Pac Salt.

Thanks for posting Vivi.

Gifting my dad a Pac Salt SE tomorrow and will include this video.
C

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9650
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Postby Doc Dan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:42 am

I most always use some variation of method 2. I like the control. I never use 3. I use method 1 on knives other than Spyderco.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
Surfingringo
Member
Posts: 5593
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:02 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Postby Surfingringo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:38 am

I always use the 1st method. I have tried the other two but the 1st method is intuitive and effortless for me. Some knives (like the Caly) require you to be more careful and make sure your finger is forward...so on those I am careful and make sure my finger is forward. :) I've closed a Pacific Salt like that thousands of times on a moving kayak without incident. Nothing to it.

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3159
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Postby Sumdumguy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:28 pm

1st method, it's just natural.

zhyla
Member
Posts: 1655
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Postby zhyla » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:52 pm

Weird. Those are all inferior to the correct method: press spine against leg to close. It’s going back in your pocket. It just came out of your pocket. Nearly everyone has legs. Works on every lock type too.

ScottieG59
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:21 pm

Re: Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Postby ScottieG59 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:52 pm

I am fine with some, but my index finger won't even slightly depress the the lock release on my Endura 4.

User avatar
dj moonbat
Member
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:58 am
Location: Sunny SoCal

Re: Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Postby dj moonbat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:58 pm

Method 2 FTW.

vivi
Member
Posts: 7425
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Postby vivi » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:40 pm

zhyla wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:52 pm
Weird. Those are all inferior to the correct method: press spine against leg to close. It’s going back in your pocket. It just came out of your pocket. Nearly everyone has legs. Works on every lock type too.
Different folks find different methods most intuitive. I only do #2 but a lot of people here do #1. My buddy uses your method.
Current carry rotation:

Pacific Salt 2 LC200N | Manix XL M4 DLC | Aqua Salt

User avatar
HarleyXJGuy
Member
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:50 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Postby HarleyXJGuy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:59 pm

I do method 2 except once I get it unlocked I use my index finger to move it some then finish closing it with my thumb.

So much easier and less repositioning with a Military or Sage 3.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.

vivi
Member
Posts: 7425
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Postby vivi » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:41 am

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:59 pm
I do method 2 except once I get it unlocked I use my index finger to move it some then finish closing it with my thumb.

So much easier and less repositioning with a Military or Sage 3.
I like lockbacks more than liner locks because I value a folder that stays closed under most any circumstance, but liner locks are a little quicker and easier to operate. Liners locks and frame locks always felt quick and intuitive to operate for me.
Current carry rotation:

Pacific Salt 2 LC200N | Manix XL M4 DLC | Aqua Salt

User avatar
Donut
Member
Posts: 9366
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Re: Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Postby Donut » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:45 am

My mind prefers Method 2, but I've used all three of those at different times.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!

User avatar
ChrisinHove
Member
Posts: 2572
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:12 am
Location: Thoroughly brassed off with 2020

Re: Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Postby ChrisinHove » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:48 am

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:38 am
I always use the 1st method. I have tried the other two but the 1st method is intuitive and effortless for me. Some knives (like the Caly) require you to be more careful and make sure your finger is forward...so on those I am careful and make sure my finger is forward. :) I've closed a Pacific Salt like that thousands of times on a moving kayak without incident. Nothing to it.
+1 on the method and Caly. Not the “whilst wrestling with sea monsters in a kayak”, though.

User avatar
HarleyXJGuy
Member
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:50 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Postby HarleyXJGuy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:08 am

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:41 am
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:59 pm
I do method 2 except once I get it unlocked I use my index finger to move it some then finish closing it with my thumb.

So much easier and less repositioning with a Military or Sage 3.
I like lockbacks more than liner locks because I value a folder that stays closed under most any circumstance, but liner locks are a little quicker and easier to operate. Liners locks and frame locks always felt quick and intuitive to operate for me.
You ever had a liner lock close on you while cutting things?

I haven’t either.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.

User avatar
Halfneck
Member
Posts: 1787
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:51 am
Location: Calhoun, Georgia.

Re: Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Postby Halfneck » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:16 am

Mostly #1 & #2, depends on the knife and the situation/conditions at the time. Of course since I only have 1 functional arm/hand I open/close everything 1-handed :)

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22170
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Postby Evil D » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:36 am

This option #3 makes me wonder if a back lock could be moved even closer to the pivot to deliberately benefit index finger operation. Maybe that plus a lighter spring could make it a much easier lock to operate with a weaker finger. A weaker spring doesn't have to mean a weaker lock, consider how soft the Omega Spring is in an Axis lock...granted these are completely different types of locks and springs but I think with some tweaking you could make a back lock just as reliable but with a much softer spring.

But like everything else, is this a solution looking for a problem? My first Spyderco was the original Native and I thought it was genius how the choil fell onto your finger when closing. Back locks are one lock type that I think should always be paired with a 50/50 choil for this reason, especially since otherwise the kick is just wasted space anyway, it may as well be shaped into a choil if it has to be there.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

vivi
Member
Posts: 7425
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Postby vivi » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:53 pm

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:08 am
Vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:41 am
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:59 pm
I do method 2 except once I get it unlocked I use my index finger to move it some then finish closing it with my thumb.

So much easier and less repositioning with a Military or Sage 3.
I like lockbacks more than liner locks because I value a folder that stays closed under most any circumstance, but liner locks are a little quicker and easier to operate. Liners locks and frame locks always felt quick and intuitive to operate for me.
You ever had a liner lock close on you while cutting things?

I haven’t either.
I have a scar from where a Millie opened while carrying it IWB.

Have you gotten a scar from a lockback opening in your pocket? I haven't either.
Current carry rotation:

Pacific Salt 2 LC200N | Manix XL M4 DLC | Aqua Salt

User avatar
KP
Member
Posts: 406
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am

Re: Three methods for closing Spyderco lockbacks one handed

Postby KP » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:23 pm

Thanks for the video. Good methods.

As noted before, some don't work well on the smaller/lighter models.

Does anyone have videos for ways to open?
Depending on the situation that could be more important.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: attila, Craiger12, JMM, Monty, Mushroom, skeeg11 and 54 guests