CPM MPL-1 sprint run please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stuman

Re: CPM MPL-1 sprint run please

Post by Stuman »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:55 am
Stuman wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:59 am
guywithopinion wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:56 pm
Stuman wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:58 pm
It’s very similar to ZDP-189
That's actually what seemed interesting too. Based on the numbers you gave, ZDP-189 is still almost 75% iron. And people talk about how ZDP isn't technically a steel. That thing is close to iron not even being the main ingredient!
Yeah it’s something that requires investigation but I have very limited tools and equipment not like Spyderco who will have a huge myriad of testing equipment. I do have a Rockwell C scale machine and knife making equipment but nothing like what Spyderco could test this steel with. There are a few steels I want to get around to making and testing with different heat treats and this one just went past those and made it top of my list. I’d love it if Spyderco actually done some testing on this steel because from what I can see it has the potential to be a fantastic knife steel.
Well, they don't have any in barstock and aren't making any either, it's only available in powder form for clading.

They had rolled it in the past but it was ALL cracking very badly so they haven't revisited it.

By the way, they still get some cracking issues with s110v.

But no where near as bad as s125v which is why it kinda went away but at least there is barstock in s125v leftover.

Sounds like MPL-1 is by far the most difficult for them to process
okay if they have it in powder form I’ll make my own cannaster billets and go from there. I’m going to have to do some research first because I’m pritty sure it’s not like making canister Damascus like I do with 1095 powdered steel but the issue of it cracking under red heat may be attributed to its carbon content how ever there are ways around the cracking issue I think. Time will tell.
Liberty and the pursuit of happiness is everyone’s god given right :)
Stuman

Post by Stuman »

Stuman wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:56 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Stuman wrote:
guywithopinion wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:56 pm

That's actually what seemed interesting too. Based on the numbers you gave, ZDP-189 is still almost 75% iron. And people talk about how ZDP isn't technically a steel. That thing is close to iron not even being the main ingredient!
Yeah it’s something that requires investigation but I have very limited tools and equipment not like Spyderco who will have a huge myriad of testing equipment. I do have a Rockwell C scale machine and knife making equipment but nothing like what Spyderco could test this steel with. There are a few steels I want to get around to making and testing with different heat treats and this one just went past those and made it top of my list. I’d love it if Spyderco actually done some testing on this steel because from what I can see it has the potential to be a fantastic knife steel.
Well, they don't have any in barstock and aren't making any either, it's only available in powder form for clading.

They had rolled it in the past but it was ALL cracking very badly so they haven't revisited it.

But no where near as bad as s125v which is why it kinda went away but at least there is barstock in s125v leftover.

okay if they have it in powder form I’ll make my own cannaster billets and go from there. I’m going to have to do some research first because I’m pritty sure it’s not like making canister Damascus like I do with 1095 powdered steel but the issue of it cracking under red heat (Forging heat) may be attributed to its carbon content and that’s why the chromium content is high how ever there are ways around the cracking issue I think. Time will tell. Looking at ZDP alloy content which is similar to MPL-1 if hitachi ran into similar issues then they obviously found a go around in this case. It could of been almost the same as crucibles MPL-1 and they ran into similar issues so turned down the carbon and alloy content. who knows ? and it’s just a poke in the dark but one can only guess really.
Liberty and the pursuit of happiness is everyone’s god given right :)
elementnature

Post by elementnature »

Stuman wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:04 pm
Stuman wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:
Stuman wrote:

okay if they have it in powder form I’ll make my own cannaster billets and go from there. I’m going to have to do some research first because I’m pritty sure it’s not like making canister Damascus like I do with 1095 powdered steel but the issue of it cracking under red heat (Forging heat) may be attributed to its carbon content and that’s why the chromium content is high how ever there are ways around the cracking issue I think. Time will tell. Looking at ZDP alloy content which is similar to MPL-1 if hitachi ran into similar issues then they obviously found a go around in this case. It could of been almost the same as crucibles MPL-1 and they ran into similar issues so turned down the carbon and alloy content. who knows ? and it’s just a poke in the dark but one can only guess really.
Did you ever get further info on this or end up making billets or anything? I've been curious bout this stuff for about 2 years now (not as long as this post is old) but I've done just about as much research as i can already.

Sal I'm assuming is Sal from Spyderco, Glesser. I would love to see if Spyderco could do a sprint or exclusive drop of a model or two in this steel eventually. I'm going to check again (i check every few months) to see if I can source some and have my favorite custom maker do something with it. I own some of the hardest steels known to man including CPM S110V, Z-Max, Maxamet, CPM Rex 121, and some other quite hard and or difficult to work with steels (surprisingly CD#1 is harder than you'd think to work with even at below 65RC).

Sorry for reviving this dead topic.
Current Spyderco Knife Count: 20
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

elementnature wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:51 am
Stuman wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:04 pm
Stuman wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:

Did you ever get further info on this or end up making billets or anything? I've been curious bout this stuff for about 2 years now (not as long as this post is old) but I've done just about as much research as i can already.

Sal I'm assuming is Sal from Spyderco, Glesser. I would love to see if Spyderco could do a sprint or exclusive drop of a model or two in this steel eventually. I'm going to check again (i check every few months) to see if I can source some and have my favorite custom maker do something with it. I own some of the hardest steels known to man including CPM S110V, Z-Max, Maxamet, CPM Rex 121, and some other quite hard and or difficult to work with steels (surprisingly CD#1 is harder than you'd think to work with even at below 65RC).

Sorry for reviving this dead topic.
Never just chase the name of things.

Go deeper and try to understand why they work or don't work.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives