CPM MPL-1 sprint run please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stuman

CPM MPL-1 sprint run please

Post by Stuman »

I was just looking at crucible steels and I came across the CPM MPL-1 Which looked very very interesting. It has one of the highest carbon contents of any steel and a whaking load of chromium which is up to 24.00% to 24.20% and is obviously to keep the 3.80% carbon in check. It reminds me of ZDP-189 but has a different elemental makeup and I think it would make a fantastic sprintrun contender. What do you guys think ? I’m pritty sure this will give ZDP a run for its money.

CPM MPL-1
C: 3.75-3.80; W: 0.40; V: 9.00-9.10;
Cr: 24.00-24.20; Mo: 3.00; Mn: 0.45-0.50;
P: 0.015; S: 0.015; Si: 0.50

ZDP-189
C: 3.00; W: 0.60; V: 0.10;
Cr: 20.00; Mo: 1.40; Co: ?;
Mn: 0.50; Nb: ?; P: ?;
S: ?; Si: 0.40;
Liberty and the pursuit of happiness is everyone’s god given right :)
Deadboxhero

Re: CPM MPL-1 sprint run please

Post by Deadboxhero »

Stuman wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:21 pm
I was just looking at crucible steels and I came across the CPM MPL-1 Which looked very very interesting. It has one of the highest carbon contents of any steel and a whaking load of chromium which is up to 24.00% to 24.20% and is obviously to keep the 3.80% carbon in check. It reminds me of ZDP-189 but has a different elemental makeup and I think it would make a fantastic sprintrun contender. What do you guys think ? I’m pritty sure this will give ZDP a run for its money.

CPM MPL-1

ZDP-189
Information in link from 2003.

Sounds brittle

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=13071
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Stuman

Post by Stuman »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:34 pm
Stuman wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:21 pm

CPM MPL-1

ZDP-189
Information in link from 2003.

Sounds brittle

I don’t think it would be anymore brittle than that of ZDP 189 or Maxamet and I suppose it all depends on what heat treat you do to it. What ever happens I reckon it would be impressive.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I love translations. “Before supracor breaks, all bells in the head should ring.
sal

Post by sal »

Do you know what Crucible made it for?

sal
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

The have it available for powder form

Used in Cladding to low alloy steel "Cru-Clad"
Mpl-1 on the outside to prevent wear with a core steel of a more ductile substrate, low alloy, non knife grade, industrial steel.
Boring non knife stuff

They also mentioned difficulty making Mpl-1 into bar stock. Which is understandable if they have problems with rolling s110v, I'd imagine the problems are magnified with this grade.

http://www.nsm-ny.com/index.cfm?fuseact ... page_id=32
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
supracor

Post by supracor »

it's been a long time since "someone" is fighting for it :)
supracor

Post by supracor »

This is a good read from Dieter Whilelmy, a german knifemaker that use it
I am not so sure but i think that also Farid have used it
supracor

Post by supracor »

Oooooops :)
maybe I should read all the messages first before posting links
Stuman

Post by Stuman »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:55 pm

Mpl-1 on the outside to prevent wear with a core steel of a more ductile substrate, low alloy, non knife grade, industrial steel.
Boring non knife stuff

They also mentioned difficulty making Mpl-1 into bar stock. Which is understandable if they have problems with rolling s110v, I'd imagine the problems are magnified with this grade.

I’m pritty sure they could roll it into bar stock relatively easy. After all they done this with Maxamet which is designed to be the rollers that roll the metal and yes I know it’s from Carpenter and this is from crucible but I could also state CPM REX121. This is a knife grade semi stainless steel and for all intensive purposes has very similar elemental make up as some other PM steels. I’m going to try and get some if I can find it as it has been rolled in flat and bar stock. How ever working with this demanding metal is going to be gruelling (if I can source some)
Stuman

Post by Stuman »

Stuman wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:20 am
Deadboxhero wrote:

Boring non knife stuff

I’m pritty sure they could roll it into bar stock relatively easy infact they have, After all they done this with Maxamet which is designed to be the rollers that roll the metal and yes I know it’s from Carpenter and this is from crucible but I could also state CPM REX121. This is a knife grade semi stainless steel and for all intensive purposes has very similar elemental make up as some other PM steels. I’m going to try and get some if I can find it as it has been rolled in flat and bar stock. How ever working with this demanding metal is going to be gruelling (if I can source some) also I don’t think this is boring stuff and I find it intriguing that a steel very similar to ZDP-189 but with more elements such as carbon & chromium and molybdenum could be boring. This metal has a lot of potential in the right hands.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Stuman wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:20 am
Deadboxhero wrote:

Boring non knife stuff

I’m pritty sure they could roll it into bar stock relatively easy. After all they done this with Maxamet which is designed to be the rollers that roll the metal and yes I know it’s from Carpenter and this is from crucible but I could also state CPM REX121. This is a knife grade semi stainless steel and for all intensive purposes has very similar elemental make up as some other PM steels. I’m going to try and get some if I can find it as it has been rolled in flat and bar stock. How ever working with this demanding metal is going to be gruelling (if I can source some)
It appears to be the high chromium and carbon that makes it difficult.

Rex121 and Maxamet have lower chromium

I can speculate reasons but honestly the details are beyond me, I don't work at a rolling mill and would need to be "in practice" to fully understand why MPL-1 is more difficult to roll then rex121

You can call Niagara, see if they have any

Good luck
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I'm assuming vanadium would be the primary carbide former, in which case this steel could be rust proof. But that is a lot of carbon, so I'm sure a decent amount of the chromium would form carbides as well. It looks as if it would have excellent edge retention on softer materials but should stay away from any rough use.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

Taking the low end of each %, that is only 58.9% iron! Just thought that was interesting.
Stuman

Post by Stuman »

guywithopinion wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:51 am
Taking the low end of each %, that is only 58.9% iron! Just thought that was interesting.
it is a very interesting and intriguing highly alloyed metal and it has a lot of potential. That carbon and chromium as well as the other alloys could easily get this steel up to the mid 60s on the Rockwell and probobly more. It’s very similar to ZDP-189 and we all know what Rockstead knives can do with that, taking the carbon into consideration Rosseli knives heat treats his proprietary UHC steel up into the mid 60s and I own one and have found that that steel is superb interms of edge retention and its because of the huge amounts of carbon he uses. Never the less this is a semi stainless steel like ZDP-189 and it looks as if this has a lot of potential but first I have to locate some so I’m going to start calling about.
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

Stuman wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:58 pm
It’s very similar to ZDP-189
That's actually what seemed interesting too. Based on the numbers you gave, ZDP-189 is still almost 75% iron. And people talk about how ZDP isn't technically a steel. That thing is close to iron not even being the main ingredient!
Stuman

Post by Stuman »

guywithopinion wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:56 pm
Stuman wrote:
That's actually what seemed interesting too. Based on the numbers you gave, ZDP-189 is still almost 75% iron. And people talk about how ZDP isn't technically a steel. That thing is close to iron not even being the main ingredient!
Yeah it’s something that requires investigation but I have very limited tools and equipment not like Spyderco who will have a huge myriad of testing equipment. I do have a Rockwell C scale machine and knife making equipment but nothing like what Spyderco could test this steel with. There are a few steels I want to get around to making and testing with different heat treats and this one just went past those and made it top of my list. I’d love it if Spyderco actually done some testing on this steel because from what I can see it has the potential to be a fantastic knife steel.
sal

Post by sal »

Getting a sample is sometimes difficult if there is no inventory. We'll inquire.

sal
Stuman

Post by Stuman »

sal wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:02 am
Getting a sample is sometimes difficult if there is no inventory. We'll inquire.

sal
thanx Sal you just made me a happy man !
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Stuman wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:59 am
guywithopinion wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:56 pm
Stuman wrote:
Yeah it’s something that requires investigation but I have very limited tools and equipment not like Spyderco who will have a huge myriad of testing equipment. I do have a Rockwell C scale machine and knife making equipment but nothing like what Spyderco could test this steel with. There are a few steels I want to get around to making and testing with different heat treats and this one just went past those and made it top of my list. I’d love it if Spyderco actually done some testing on this steel because from what I can see it has the potential to be a fantastic knife steel.
Well, they don't have any in barstock and aren't making any either, it's only available in powder form for clading.

They had rolled it in the past but it was ALL cracking very badly so they haven't revisited it.

By the way, they still get some cracking issues with s110v.

But no where near as bad as s125v which is why it kinda went away but at least there is barstock in s125v leftover.

Sounds like MPL-1 is by far the most difficult for them to process
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives