Manix Backlock Sprint poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Manix Backlock, pick your steel!!!!

M4
7%
M390/204P/20CV
14%
10V/K390
15%
Cruwear/3V/4V
29%
Vanax/LC200N
11%
4%
S90V/S110V
5%
CPM154/XHP
6%
Maxamet
8%
PSF27/CPMD2
2%

Total votes: 161

steelcity16

Re: Manix Backlock Sprint poll

Post by steelcity16 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:24 am
ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:01 am
I HATE IT! Y'all are so fixated on this one steel that the rest of us will never get anything else in a sprint.
ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:59 am
There's no point in voting. The Cult of Cruwear worshippers have shown that they'll overtake any poll like this. Thanks to them we'll never see a sprint in an interesting stainless like Vanax. It looks like I need start saving my money for a Shirogorov since the Cult of Cruwear accepts nothing but rusting tool steels.
I encourage you to vote and share your opinion. They all have value and I want yours included in this poll. I appreciate that you want a stainless steel and even if this poll's results leans towards non stainless steels that in no way means that we will not see a stainless sprint. Sal/Spyderco has shown time and time again that they try to make something for everybody. They have also said over and over that the market at large prefers stainless steels. So don't let our suggestions deter you, let your voice be heard! :D

It is worth noting that all of the models which have been offered in Cruwear have been offered in a plethora of other steels including many stainless options. It is a stretch to imply that Cruwear has dominated the sprint run scene, if anything S90V has. It may also be worth noting that most people do not find Cruwear to be rust prone.

Vanax is new. I expect to see it in a Spyderco folder at some point but I also expect that we may have to wait a while. We may see a Mule first.

Well said :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I voted for PSF27 and then M4.

I have had great luck with my Bradley Bowie and PSF27 has impressed me so far. I have knives in ingot D2, CPMD2 and the Bradley in PSF27. The Bradley seems to me to take a more aggressive edge than the other D2 versions. I really like the way it responds to my sharpening. I like variety and would love to see it in a Spyderco folder and this platform seems like a good fit. I picked M4 because, well, it is just awesome.

I have been riding the Cruwear train since the Military came out and have been a vocal fan of it so I would absolutely not turn it down in this platform but due to my desire for variety I didn't vote for it. I would be quite enthused to see any of these as well.
10V/K390
Maxamet
Cruwear/4V
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I voted for CPM-154/CTS-XHP because they seem to be good, well-rounded steels that offer a nice balance of sharpenability, corrosion resistance, and edge toughness/retention.

I voted second for Maxamet. I've had good experiences with my N5 Maxamet and have been toying with the idea of getting a Manix in the steel. Plus, having more options in Maxamet can't hurt. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

My votes were Cruwear and K390. But honestly, any of the steels on the list would be great to see. I could even talk myself into accepting some kind of stainless steel, though that seems farfetched as I sit here and think about it. ;)

I am a recent participant in the Cruwear cult. But I am eager to get my hands on some K390 and this would seem like an ideal platform. 3v/4v would be dandy as well.

Don't change a thing about the knife! I love that thick beefy blade. Overkill is where it is at, and this knife is all about overkill. If you want light, go with a native.

The dilemma here is that I am trying to set money aside for the Shaman/Micarta knife, and if this proposal gets any traction, my problems are going to multiply. The Shaman is another really interesting "overkill" knife that could displace the backlock Manix in my admiration.
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I voted psf27 as i would like to try it out but probably won't be getting a Bradley junction or Bowie anytime soon
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:21 am
Also the two polls you are referring to just happen to be two big beefy knives that a lot of people, myself included, want to see a tough beefy steel to match.
Which is exactly why I want to see them in Vanax. Lance says it's the toughest stainless steel he's tested AND it's **** near rust proof like LC200N. Almost every other source I've read says the same or similar things. Why give up corrosion resistance to gain toughness when you don't have to? A big beefy folder that's going to get used hard is also going to get sweat on it, and probably blood and other chemicals on it. Why wouldn't you want the most corrosion resistant and toughest steel you can get for that use?

Though, upon further thought on a potential Vanax blade folder, I'd rather such a folder have the liner-less flow through construction of a Titanium RIL or a Titanium integral compression lock like the original ATR. Those types of construction would aid in quick cleaning, not trap moisture between the scales and liners, and reduce the metal to metal contact points to further reduce the potential for galvanic corrosion.

Take a Shaman and make it with a Vanax blade, plus make the handles in solid Titanium like the original ATR. It would be expensive, but it could also be the hardest use, least compromise, Spyderco folder ever. On the other end of the spectrum, use that Vanax toughness to make a super thin blade that's both rust proof and highly resistant to chipping and rolling. Throw a Chaparral thickness blade into slimmed down Sage 2 RIL scales. That would be my ultimate summer carry knife.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Voted for M4 and K390.

M4: Really liking my PM2 with a regrind. Easy to touch up, tough w/ no chipping so far, and no corrosion so far. This knife gets the most work and I haven't babied it at all.

K390: Bohler just makes good stuff. Have the MT17, cuts for days. Still playing with it, but I like what I see. Would like to find an Urban as well, at a decent price.

Corrosion isn't a problem with me - pretty meticulous with my knives.
-C
Last edited by Calicoast on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Voted for Maxamet first (wasn’t there supposed to be a flood of it?), then 4V, or 3V, or, if need be, Cruwear, which I know will hardly be a sacrifice. I just don’t have any of the others and want to try ‘em.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

I've been looking to get something in CTS-204p. No real reason other than I don't have one and it seems interesting. The Manix is the only knife I own in multiple steels, so I'd likely buy it in this configuration. I'd consider CPM-20cv, but have a lot of Crucible steel knives. I doubt I'd buy it in M390, but wouldn't begrude anyone it (it seems M390 anything sells, while 204p and 20cv not so much). I realize they are likely to perform the same, but being a US-made steel carries an appeal for me.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:03 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Also the two polls you are referring to just happen to be two big beefy knives that a lot of people, myself included, want to see a tough beefy steel to match.
Which is exactly why I want to see them in Vanax. Lance says it's the toughest stainless steel he's tested AND it's **** near rust proof like LC200N. Almost every other source I've read says the same or similar things. Why give up corrosion resistance to gain toughness when you don't have to? A big beefy folder that's going to get used hard is also going to get sweat on it, and probably blood and other chemicals on it. Why wouldn't you want the most corrosion resistant and toughest steel you can get for that use?

I voted for Cruwear because it is by far my favorite of the steels that I think Spyderco is likely to actually consider for either the Shaman or Manix Backlock sprint. I actually would rather see them in 3V or 4V, but I dont think that is likely for the first sprint run in either of these. Hopefully a dealer like DLT Trading who has experience selling tons of Bark River Bravos in 3V will see the potential cash cow that a big 3V Spyderco Folder is likely to be. Since they like Red (Red G10/M390 PM2), maybe they will do a Burgundy Micarta Shaman in 3V. Im guessing that would be an easy sell out.

I have nothing against Vanax. In fact, I think it sounds great and i'd love to try it. Like 3V and 4V though, I just don't think it is likely as a first sprint for either of these knives, especially since there hasnt been much testing of it yet. With it being similar to LC200N, IF it is indeed just as rust proof, i would think something like a sprint of the new Native LW Salt with a Vanax blade would be a cool option for trying this steel. It would also be much cheaper than either of the knives in these polls, so it would give more people the opportunity to try Vanax.

Finally, I don't think Cruwear is the rust bucket you make it out to be. I've had no issues with any of mine and I dont oil or baby them. Please post pictures of evidence of Cruwear being corrosion prone as I havent heard anyone else complain of it. In fact, i've seen a few people say they had more issues with S30V than Cruwear. Most people seem to regard it is relatively maintenance free.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

My two votes were for cruwear/3v/4v and Vanax/Lc200n. (Personally, I would want a sprint with Lc200n or Vanax to be a full blown salt). Those would be two completely different knives but I think both options would be a good fit for the Manix backlock.
Loudenboomer

Post by Loudenboomer »

IMHO the standard lock on the manix 2 is all the lock I need. My favorite Spyderco platform. I used to carry a s30v manix . I put a set of black
G10 scales on a M4 manix as soon as they came out and its been in my pocket ever since.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Loudenboomer wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:58 pm
IMHO the standard lock on the manix 2 is all the lock I need. My favorite Spyderco platform. I used to carry a s30v manix . I put a set of black
G10 scales on a M4 manix as soon as they came out and its been in my pocket ever since.
That is pretty much how I used to think -- and I couldn't comprehend why they would do a backlock Manix -- until I got my hands on one.
I used to be a backlock skeptic. Maybe even a backlock "hater" -- probably because I had used some cheap crappy backlock knives
somewhere in my past. The new native 5 and the backlock Manix have turned all of that on its head.

Now, there is no contest -- I would choose the backlock Manix over the CBBL any time. Which is not to say the CBBL Manix knives
are bad, I have several and enjoy them and they have never let me down.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:57 pm
My two votes were for cruwear/3v/4v and Vanax/Lc200n. (Personally, I would want a sprint with Lc200n or Vanax to be a full blown salt). Those would be two completely different knives but I think both options would be a good fit for the Manix backlock.
The backlock manix is linerless so I wouldn't think a full blown salt would be out of the question at all. Plenty of other salts are backlocks.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

My votes went to M4 and K390, seems like they'd be a good fit for this platform. But there isn't many on the list that would turn me off. Cruwear was a close third, and from the sound of it Vanex would be an interesting one too.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Fascinating thread. I chose Vanax/LC200N, but I'd certainly be down with a Cruwear/3V/4V Sprint. I'd really be stoked to see this in a Lil' Native too.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I voted for K390 and Vanax/Lc200N. These are steels at the opposite ends of the corrosion spectrum. I already am in love with K390, as is everyone who uses it. It is a great steel that will stand up to a lot. We also need a Salt Manix Back Lock that will take and hold a good edge.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Went with Cru Wear because I want toughness. 52100 would suffice as well.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:53 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:03 pm
steelcity16 wrote:

I voted for Cruwear because it is by far my favorite of the steels that I think Spyderco is likely to actually consider for either the Shaman or Manix Backlock sprint. I actually would rather see them in 3V or 4V, but I dont think that is likely for the first sprint run in either of these. Hopefully a dealer like DLT Trading who has experience selling tons of Bark River Bravos in 3V will see the potential cash cow that a big 3V Spyderco Folder is likely to be. Since they like Red (Red G10/M390 PM2), maybe they will do a Burgundy Micarta Shaman in 3V. Im guessing that would be an easy sell out.

I have nothing against Vanax. In fact, I think it sounds great and i'd love to try it. Like 3V and 4V though, I just don't think it is likely as a first sprint for either of these knives, especially since there hasnt been much testing of it yet. With it being similar to LC200N, IF it is indeed just as rust proof, i would think something like a sprint of the new Native LW Salt with a Vanax blade would be a cool option for trying this steel. It would also be much cheaper than either of the knives in these polls, so it would give more people the opportunity to try Vanax.

Finally, I don't think Cruwear is the rust bucket you make it out to be. I've had no issues with any of mine and I dont oil or baby them. Please post pictures of evidence of Cruwear being corrosion prone as I havent heard anyone else complain of it. In fact, i've seen a few people say they had more issues with S30V than Cruwear. Most people seem to regard it is relatively maintenance free.
I just passed a mile marker and it applies to your discussion. I started a 30 day fixed blade challenge thread in November and strapped my Cruwear Mule to my hip. That was 8 months ago and aside from a few days here and there, the Cruwear rides on my hip, 3 o clock position, handle and exposed spine against my skin... in the south where humidity is its own season here.
The blade, handle and spine show zero signs of rust or even patina. All this in a leather sheath too.

For my uses, Cruwear seems no more prone to corrosion than CPM-D2 or CTS-XHP
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
vivi

Post by vivi »

XL backlock. I don't really care which steel as long as it's stainless or DLC coated, but if I could be picky I'd take LC200N with linerless construction like the mini manix backlock.
:unicorn