Chaparral LW Exclusives and Sprints

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eli Chaps

Chaparral LW Exclusives and Sprints

Post by Eli Chaps »

I know we've mentioned it before in other threads but, I would love for Cutlery Shop to do an orange and plain bladed (no coating) version of this knife. The steel is less important to me but I know it sorta comes with the "exclusive" gig and I would have no qualms with S90V.

I would also love to see it offered in that bright blue (ala Delica) and a Wharncliffe blade of I don't know, maybe BD1N.

What say you all?
zhyla

Re: Chaparral LW Exclusives and Sprints

Post by zhyla »

I'm 100% happy with mine but I do wonder what an SE version would be like.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have yet to try the Chaparral yet as it is so similar to the Caly Jrs, but an SE version does peak my interest.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Donut

Post by Donut »

Maybe we could get a Jazzy version of the Chaparral.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I absolutely love my Chaparral LW. I'd definitely buy another in a sprint run with another steel. Though I am a big fan of the CTS-XHP it has now. Not a very common steel and in my eyes, very underrated.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Like the others, I'm quite happy with my Chaparral LW and CF. Not really sure I need another but different versions of the LW might tempt me.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I love the Chap. I have them all. I'd definitely buy one in another steel.

But, I think the whole philosophy of the project was to keep the blade the same and "sprint" the handles.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:06 pm
But, I think the whole philosophy of the project was to keep the blade the same and "sprint" the handles.
That’s interesting. I really can’t complain about the LW scales. Love the feel and the gray is perfect. But I’m sure if this model takes off they can put more colors out quickly. Blue would certainly look nice.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would love to see the ChapLW get some steel sprints. K390/10V sounds great to me. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Since the point of the Chap is supposed to be showcasing different handle materials, and so many people here want Micarta on other knives, then I think a Micarta Chap makes a lot of sense.

If alternate steels become a possibility on the LW version, I'd like to what a crazy tough steel like Vanax or Elmax would do in such in a thin blade. I think the thin blade also lends itself to fine grained steels AEB-L and 14C28N.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:31 am
Since the point of the Chap is supposed to be showcasing different handle materials, and so many people here want Micarta on other knives, then I think a Micarta Chap makes a lot of sense.

If alternate steels become a possibility on the LW version, I'd like to what a crazy tough steel like Vanax or Elmax would do in such in a thin blade. I think the thin blade also lends itself to fine grained steels AEB-L and 14C28N.
I agree. The Chaparral, if sprinted, seems better suited to steels that will make the most of a thin geometry. Save the chunky steels for the heavy use knives.

And whether a sprint or just another iteration, a micarta Chaparral must--must!--happen. Linen, or maybe denim.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

K390 sounds great to me too! My dad is getting a CF Chaparral this Sunday.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Not saying I wouldn't be interested in more LW variants, but a micarta Chap is the one I've been dreaming about from the beginning...
:spyder:
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Make the chaparral LW the new mule platform to test new steels. Good design, small and affordable. Whats not to love.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

CRUWEAR!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, ok, i'm kidding on this one! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:24 pm
CRUWEAR!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, ok, i'm kidding on this one! :D
:D LOL! Even though you're kidding, I bet it would sell very well. If CruWear (whatever the correct spelling in this week) is as tough as the cult of cruwear claims, it would make sense since it should be pretty chip and roll resistant on a thin blade like the Chap.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

dj moonbat wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:53 am
I agree. The Chaparral, if sprinted, seems better suited to steels that will make the most of a thin geometry. Save the chunky steels for the heavy use knives.

And whether a sprint or just another iteration, a micarta Chaparral must--must!--happen. Linen, or maybe denim.
I had one of the original G10/CF laminate S30V blade Chaps. I kept it sharpened free hand following the factory bevel with my DMT Diafold. Stopping at 600 grit and leaving it toothy was amazing. That thin, toothy, blade would bite into the smooth fermented tobacco leaf and shave off cigar caps prettier than any cigar cutter you could find. It would also cut rope and cord incredibly with the toothy edge on the thin blade. Chunky carbides can be fun on thin blades if you aren't obsessed with mirror polished edges.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

dj moonbat wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:53 am
ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:31 am

Micarta Chap sounds good to me. Would make a nice companion blade to the Cruwear Micarta Shaman. A Cruwear Micarta Chap? Now you are speaking my language. Burgundy linen would be a winner. Denim would also be cool.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

The Chap LW is such a great knife. Would love a red one with m390 or LC200n.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yes, being old school I would like to see a Chaparral with micarta scales. A brown, tan, coyote or light OD would be nice.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation