Chaparral LW Exclusives and Sprints

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
glutofknives

Re: Chaparral LW Exclusives and Sprints

Post by glutofknives »

My dream spydie is a copper chapparal.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

glutofknives wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:33 am
My dream spydie is a copper chapparal.
If they were to somehow keep the weight down this would be pretty cool.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

S110V or Maxamet would also be great in a little slicer like this. I'd definitely grab an FRN Chap in either of those.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

I'm fearful that micarta scales will take away from its thinness, something that's a trademark fir the Chaparral series.

That being said, I'd love to see one.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Ivory linen Micarta would be very classy on this knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:08 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:24 pm
CRUWEAR!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, ok, i'm kidding on this one! :D
:D LOL! Even though you're kidding, I bet it would sell very well. If CruWear (whatever the correct spelling in this week) is as tough as the cult of cruwear claims, it would make sense since it should be pretty chip and roll resistant on a thin blade like the Chap.
People often seem to want want the biggest toughest blades out of Cruwear and 3V, I think the first thing you'd want to do is make thin blades with steels like that..
Should make sense to just make thinner versions of blades that will still have a similar toughness?
I'm all for more Cruwear on most stuff but definitely like the idea of using it on thinner blades.
(also a reason I like the idea of it on Spydies ;) )
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Joris Mo wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:37 am
ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:08 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:24 pm
CRUWEAR!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, ok, i'm kidding on this one! :D
:D LOL! Even though you're kidding, I bet it would sell very well. If CruWear (whatever the correct spelling in this week) is as tough as the cult of cruwear claims, it would make sense since it should be pretty chip and roll resistant on a thin blade like the Chap.
People often seem to want want the biggest toughest blades out of Cruwear and 3V, I think the first thing you'd want to do is make thin blades with steels like that..
Should make sense to just make thinner versions of blades that will still have a similar toughness?
I'm all for more Cruwear on most stuff but definitely like the idea of using it on thinner blades.
(also a reason I like the idea of it on Spydies ;) )

I agree. Id be all for seeing how these steels perform in a thin blade like the Chap. Id buy any of them.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

It's not actually a LW, is it? Doesn't it have the same nested liners as the other handle materials (perhaps except the Ti models)? As a handle mule of sorts, I thought FRN was just one of the materials they tried. The specs show it's almost the same weight as the Raffir Noble one.

I'd love to see something similar to the Raffir Noble but maybe a different pattern, definitely a different color. Blue, maybe red, or even a green that's more jade and less camouflage.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

guywithopinion wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:51 am
It's not actually a LW, is it? Doesn't it have the same nested liners as the other handle materials (perhaps except the Ti models)? As a handle mule of sorts, I thought FRN was just one of the materials they tried. The specs show it's almost the same weight as the Raffir Noble one.
It is actually called the LW and it is at least a little lighter than all the other versions. Although none of the Chaps are what I'd call heavy. The liners on LW are nested and are only partial liners as they do no come all the way to the bottom of the handle. The CF Chap has full-exposed liners. Not sure if the RN Chap has exposed liners or not but it does look like they're full liners too.

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ikaretababy

Post by ikaretababy »

does anyone have a comparison photo of a Chaparral LW with a native 5? I'd like to pick up one or the other and I'm kind of on the fence.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ikaretababy wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:21 pm
does anyone have a comparison photo of a Chaparral LW with a native 5? I'd like to pick up one or the other and I'm kind of on the fence.
Here you go!...

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ikaretababy

Post by ikaretababy »

dang. I feel like its going to be the chaparral then. Thanks for the side by side!
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Chaparral TI R.I.L.

Its like a mini sage 2.
Justin
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Glutofknives,

We tried a copper alloy, but the factory couldn't supply the copper so we shelved the idea.

Joris,

Not all steels can be made thin and not warp or be brittle.

The "Liteweight" version was more for less expensive EDC of the design regardless of the handle materials which can be expensive.

sal
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

ikaretababy wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:03 pm
dang. I feel like its going to be the chaparral then. Thanks for the side by side!
I am not a huge fan of the finger choil on either model. That said, I much prefer the Chap over the Native. With the Chap I can use it without the choil just fine but the Native causes me hot spots. If you grip either knife with the choil then you don't really notice much but it is my experience that in general cutting, you don't use the choil that often.

The Chap is a slicing machine and the XHP steel is fantastic. I long for Sal to make a version of this knife without a choil but until then, the Chap LW is my five or more day a week pocket knife. It is outstanding.
glutofknives

Post by glutofknives »

Bummer. Regardless, I think some copper or brass would be a great addition on other models.