Attack of the modern slipjoints!!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderg

Re: Attack of the modern slipjoints!!!!

Post by spyderg »

I really enjoy slipjoints. Stronger the spring the better for me. My Urban has too light of a pull and not particularly smooth action so it doesn’t see much pocket time. It’s my beach day knife. Today I’m carrying my GEC made Northwoods Esky Zulu,
0F447A46-56F4-488C-B41F-6EC45D73EAFC.jpeg
which has a medium to strong pull by most standards, I’d call it a 6-7pull. It’s blade shape and how it sits closed makes it an easy one hand opener for me. I have a variety of different patterns and a few different brands, many are fairly easy to open one handed. Adding a perhaps oddly placed Spydie hole or indent like on the Roadie would make a classic design even easier to open while allowing for a stiffer spring.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

sal wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:08 pm
Hi TBD,

It's a tough balance to make it one hand open and very tight when open. My preference is for the OHO over THO. Do you favor the THO with a strong spring over the OHO?

sal
I do favor THO over OHO. Again I live in AL, USA so I can carry anything I want. I carry a slipjoint and assume it will be a THO. The Pingo was a really cool design, but needed a more robust back spring. The preference to stay open on a slip joint is as important to me as the preference to stay closed on a back lock. Thanks for asking Sal. I might be in the minority since I don’t need a slipjoint to be a do everything like perhaps your EU customers do.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:35 pm
I’d prefer THO with stronger, but not ridiculous spring, and it would need ample area to pinch and open it. I like the Spy-Dk, but there’s not enough pinch space.

I’d also really like a THO back lock with a lanyard hole. If that’s how the Canadian laws are headed, it would be great.
It is uncanny how often we share the same opinion, hope your are well Jazzman
UrbanMoose

Post by UrbanMoose »

xceptnl wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:15 am
Liquid Cobra wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:22 pm
I think Lionsteel makes a nice modern traditional knife and it comes in M390.

The nicest UKPK I have seen is Landon’s modified Ti UKPK with the faux jigged bone. That thing is exceptional. ;)

I forgot to add that one to the list! Thanks Darby!

Yes, Landon’s UKPK is insane.
You mean this old thing? :D It is truly an example of how good a slipjoint could be.

That jigged Ti UKPK is absolutely exquisite. A beautiful blend of the old and new.

Either a UKPK or an Urban along similar lines would be magnificent. Wood handles and shiny bolsters would be pretty marvelous too.

I prefer oho for preference; I think the UKPK/Urban design is pretty much perfect functionally and ergonomically. Having them in more traditional garb like wood will make them even better imho. Never had an issue with spring tension on my G10 UKPK or my Urban LW, and I appreciate a firm spring. Could they be firmer? Sure I think I have the thumb strength for it, and would appreciate the extra security, but I think they got the tension on my examples just dandy.

Drop point blade you ask? Why yes; that would be an excellent idea. A drop point UKPK or Urban in smansy steel? Wearing a bolstered wooden, brown G10, or bronzed jigged Ti jacket? Take my money. Here, have my wife. And I'll name my next child after you...

However, I'm really excited at the thought of new slip-joint designs coming out too. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with next.

And Sal, as a citizen of a country that only allows the carry of slip-joints as edc, I salute you for designing bloody brilliant knives that comply without feeling like a compromise. I'm certain that whatever you come up with will have lots of fans.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

twinboysdad wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:53 am

It is uncanny how often we share the same opinion, hope your are well Jazzman

Same to you, bro. I can’t wait for Sal to post a pic or two.
- best wishes, Jazz.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I would like to see a two hand opener, small, around 2” blade, with something other than the ubiquitous nail nick, a lanyard hole and some different scale material like micarta, bone, etc. and a thin slicing blade. Hard to do with the double dents I would think.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

In my mind, the BM Prosper had such potential. Great shaped handle and materials, lanyard hole, great size. Two things make it a loser to me and that is the grind is saber and the back springs are weak. I could get past the ugly grind if the walk and talk was right. And the drop point version looks like a Dremel was used on the remaining stock of sheepsfoot blades. I like how Spyderco tweaks an entire design if needed. Bottom line is I would own one of each color of the Prosper if the back spring alone was to my standards
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Guess I’m wondering where the market is here for spyderco. They already have the ukpk and urban for easy one handed opening. Hard to beat those. We could bring these back with g10 or ti.
Or we could have a fancy slip it but the pits is still deeply discounted and in stock.
So, a two hand opening knife like a larger roadie with a stiffer spring? That’s what is missing.

The one I have that I really like is my Jessie jarosz Apple jack with bottle opener. Really stiff spring. Slim. Lightweight. Something similar could be a good addition.
sinnyc

Post by sinnyc »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:22 pm
I think Lionsteel makes a nice modern traditional knife and it comes in M390. Pic borrowed from collectorknives.

61823661-FD14-4C50-B168-45C29E5A82B0.jpeg

The nicest UKPK I have seen is Landon’s modified Ti UKPK with the faux jigged bone. That thing is exceptional. ;)
I have the M390 Shuffler in Clip and Roundhead. Really beautiful. I'd love to see a Spyderco "traditional" slip.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:41 am
In my mind, the BM Prosper had such potential. Great shaped handle and materials, lanyard hole, great size. Two things make it a loser to me and that is the grind is saber and the back springs are weak. I could get past the ugly grind if the walk and talk was right. And the drop point version looks like a Dremel was used on the remaining stock of sheepsfoot blades. I like how Spyderco tweaks an entire design if needed. Bottom line is I would own one of each color of the Prosper if the back spring alone was to my standards

I have both, and they still slice fine. The springs are also just fine. They’re actually hard to open. Could be a tad stronger in the open position, but closed is fine. It’s a Proper, not Prosper (sorry to nitpick... and hey, we’re opining differently. What’s wrong with us? :eek: :D).
- best wishes, Jazz.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

A 'full size' Roadie would be nice, as would a UKPK/Urban in sculpted G10, similar to but slimmer than the Positron, with a choice of either spear point or sheepsfoot blade.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I'd just love to see the UKPK and Urban in G-10 or Micarta from the factory. As is, I think they're two of the most perfect EDC folder designs ever.

I've got one of the Ti Squeaks, and I think it has just about the perfect tension for being a one handed slip joint. When I open it up, there's a satisfying snap, and once open, it takes a bit of force to overcome the backspacing. Of course, the fact the scales are titanium may have something to do with the amount of spring tension it has, too.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
brancron

Post by brancron »

Spyderco's slipjoints are some of my absolute favorites. Here are some of them:

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:08 pm

I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but for me at least the way a one hand opening slip joint works best, or at least the way you can have a tight/strong spring while open and still be able to open the knife one handed, is all about thumb hole size and placement.

Example, the Kiwi 3(?) slip joint is not easy to open one handed because the overall package is very narrow when closed and the hole is on the small side. By comparison if you made a Manix 2 into a slip joint with a strong back spring it would be much easier to open because the knife is wider when closed which gives you more purchase on the knife while opening, and the thumb hole placement is further out which makes the circle of motion that your thumb travels much shorter. You could even raise the hole higher and reduce the travel needed to open the knife and it would be even easier, but then you start making a very wide knife when folded so there's definitely a balance.

On that note, one thing I pay attention to with different models is how they feel during opening, how the thumb travels and how that circle of motion feels. One of the absolute best feeling knives I've had in this regard was the Vallotton..
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

How is that proto working out, Sal?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Molle Ninja wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:12 am
Nice, who made those?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:26 am
Molle Ninja wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:12 am
Nice, who made those?
Thanks—Tisurvival did the anodizing. He does amazing work ... and has quick turnaround times, too. Highly recommended.
sal

Post by sal »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:59 am
How is that proto working out, Sal?
Hi Jazz,

I like it as far as the design and function. It looks fugly. Lotsa knife people use "too much eye and not enough brain", so it might not appeal. But it is a real two hand opener in that inertia opening is just about impossible, so it meets the letter of the law for Canada and Germany. I'll try to get a pic posted and maybe a thread for feedback.

It's a bit of a conundrum, If we make it in G-10, it will be expensive, which is hard on sales. I might try to make it in China, but it's a lock-back and spring strength is critical. Also China needs volume and I'm not sure we can do that?

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

UrbanMoose wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:02 pm
That jigged Ti UKPK is absolutely exquisite. A beautiful blend of the old and new.
Wow! That's fantastic.

Did you have those scales made custom?