Attack of the modern slipjoints!!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Attack of the modern slipjoints!!!!

Post by Liquid Cobra »

So it would seem that modern slipjoints are all the rage lately. 3 separate companies (that I’ve found so far) have very recently released their take on a modern slipjoint. They are making these knives with S35VN, CPM-S30V, CPM-20CV, titanium, micarta, g10, carbon fiber, mokume etc..
They’re not cheap either. A quick scan on BladeHQ shows the following:

Benchmade Proper $115.75

Hinderer XM Slippy $275.99

Chris Reeve Impinda $450

I know Spyderco released the PITS Folder and were well ahead of the game but that knife is on its way out. All of these new designs, while nice don’t come close to the UKPK. I hope Spyderco sees that the market is ready for a new high end slipjoint. FRN is great, but g10 offers most people more confidence and even pride of ownwership.

Please bring back the g10 UKPK with some funky colors!

PS..I can’t beleive I started another thread about this. :o
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
timlara

Re: Attack of the modern slipjoints!!!!

Post by timlara »

I'm with you! I have been almost exclusively carrying my UKPK 110V for several months now, and have pared down my collection quite a bit since I just wasn't carrying anything else. I regret not picking up a Ti UKPK at the last Seconds Sale when I had the chance.

Although I'm honestly perfectly fine with FRN, an upgraded UKPK would no doubt be very enticing and superior to all three of the options you pictured above.
Tim
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

That silly button on the Hinderer -- need to lose that thing. If you are going down that road, it has to be the good old thumbnail groove or nothing.
This is all about "retro charm" is it not? (which is in general lost on me, but not always).
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think Lionsteel makes a nice modern traditional knife and it comes in M390. Pic borrowed from collectorknives.
61823661-FD14-4C50-B168-45C29E5A82B0.jpeg
The nicest UKPK I have seen is Landon’s modified Ti UKPK with the faux jigged bone. That thing is exceptional. ;)
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:22 pm
I think Lionsteel makes a nice modern traditional knife and it comes in M390.

The nicest UKPK I have seen is Landon’s modified Ti UKPK with the faux jigged bone. That thing is exceptional. ;)

I forgot to add that one to the list! Thanks Darby!

Yes, Landon’s UKPK is insane.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:13 pm
That silly button on the Hinderer -- need to lose that thing. If you are going down that road, it has to be the good old thumbnail groove or nothing.
This is all about "retro charm" is it not? (which is in general lost on me, but not always).
Notice how the groove on the Hinderer is open on top at the back of the groove? That's to allow the "silly" button to be removed so you can run it nail nick only if you want. Besides, the Hinderer is basically an XM-18 slip joint. It's as retro a Spyderco UKPK, Urban, or Pits. It looks to be Hinderer's non-locking offering for legality in restrictive jurisdictions, like the UKPK, et. al, not a retro design like the BM Proper. In typically Chris Reeve style the Impinda seems to fit perfectly into both retro style and modern yet legal. The Roadie walks a similar line.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I have the wood version of the Lionsteel. They are a good quality knifemaker. I saw a Cruwear or Z wear slippie made in Europe some months ago but lost track of who it was. I tried to get one as soon as I became aware of the knife but they were already pre sold. They looked a lot like the Lionsteel offerings.

Joe
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have to admit the BM Proper intrigues me. The CRK Impala does too but the price keeps me from buying any CRK. The nail nicks on these are classic and certainly appropriate but I much prefer the easy one-hand opening of the UKPK.

Give me a OD green G10 (or Micarta) UKPK with a tool steel blade and I won't be able to get my wallet out fast enough. As long as I'm dreaming I'd like a drop-point blade too.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

It's a pity the Lionsteel Roundheads are an exclusive only available through collectorknives. The blend of traditional style with modern materials is pretty awesome.

The Victorinox Cadet alox versions are also pretty sweet and not so pricey.

Would be pretty cool to see Spyderco do a collaboration with Fontenille Pataud the French knifemaker. They make some really nice traditional Laguiole knives and they have done some in the past with an opening hole.

Or maybe we should just keep perstering Michael Reinhold (Spydernut) to make a prototype. A Rhino Grande Slipit could be pretty cool ;)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:22 pm

You mean this old thing? :D It is truly an example of how good a slipjoint could be.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
PStone

Post by PStone »

xceptnl wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote: [quote=bearfacedkiller post_id=<a href="tel:1239482">1239482</a> time=<a href="tel:1528867367">1528867367</a> user_id=23528]

You mean this old thing? :D It is truly an example of how good a slipjoint could be.

[/quote]

Wow! That is beautiful. Where can I get one?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I can only imagine a blue titanium Urban in Elmax :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

My bone handled squeak
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

That bone-handled Squeak is awesome ^^^. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Count me in! I would love to see a new Spyderco slip-joint, maybe something along the lines of the C131 by Bob Terzuola:

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=416
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

DirtMcGirt wrote: Wow! That is beautiful. Where can I get one?
It was customized by a member of BF a few years ago.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I believe Sal has said another slipjoint version of Alistair Phillips' Kapara is in the works somewhere. (The original custom versions were slipjoints.) I guess they'll watch and see how sales go on the upcoming compression lock model.
sal

Post by sal »

We have a few we're working on at this time.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I thought there was a Barlow in the works? Sounds promising. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PStone

Post by PStone »

xceptnl wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:21 am
DirtMcGirt wrote: Wow! That is beautiful. Where can I get one?
It was customized by a member of BF a few years ago.
Roger that :spyder:

Being one of a kind makes it even more amazing! My spyderenvy is tingling