V-TOKU 2 Love

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blueblur

Re: V-TOKU 2 Love

Post by blueblur »

awa54 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:18 pm
Interesting that all of the folks chiming in with edge damage have re-set their edge bevels! I'm thinking that the problem is a wire edge that doesn't get cut off of the apex... Bruce Mack and blueblur, try running the blade past your thumb nail or a plastic ballpoint pen with the edge trailing and firm pressure, look carefully for the apex to be bent by that, if it is, then I think we all may have created wire edge, instead of a burr when sharpening.

When I re-re-profiled my Endura (now about 12.5DPS down from 15), I paid extra attention to this and now I don't see that tell-tale deflection when I try to cause it. Time will tell, but I'm not expecting to have the rippled/chipped edge issue again.

I figured out what caused my edge damage, it was debarking and whittling on a small piece of fully dried wood I cut out of an old rose bush, maybe not oak or rock maple, but certainly a dense and hard wood!

On the same subject I have a hand forged V2 gyuto (V-Toku2 is essentially V2 with the addition of tungsten and vanadium and the removal of copper), which rippled badly when I cut a crusty baguette (yeah, there's a reason bread knives exist!), the damage was very similar to what I saw on my Endura, but much less surprising, since it has a typical Japanese kitchen knife grind primary bevel of about 2DPS, with the apexed bevel angle being closer to 4 or 5DPS. Lesson learned: don't cut crusty bread with a razor blade, but if it's a V2 razor blade, expect it to bend before it breaks!
I tried running the edge against my thumb nail and didn't notice anything but when doing the same thing on a pen, I can see the slightest change in light reflection.

Bruce, so it sounds like what worked for you was using lighter pressure and finishing on each stone by using light trailing strokes? I'll give that a shot after I reset this bevel. Thanks for following up.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Hi blueblur, my method of cutting the wire edge off was to use the corners of the brown/medium rods on the Sharpmaker with firm, but not hard pressure, it seemed to work well. When I re-sharpened the V-toku2 Endura after removing the wire edge, I used the grit progression: 150, 400, 1200 at about 12.5DPS, and just paid extra attention to using light pressure (leading strokes though) and cutting the burr off fully at each grit, then I finished with a few strokes of cutting into a hard cork and drawing the edge through (free alternative to rock hard de-burring felt blocks, for those who are wine drinkers), then a few strokes on a hard backed strop to confirm that all of the burr was gone (I made sure I was not letting hanging burr turn into wire edge as I sharpened).

I think I must have done the damage by rushing the stock removal on my first sharpening session... I'm fairly certain that I created the wire edge by using more pressure than I should have on the coarse stone, then since this steel is so resilient and the wire edge never broke off, the wire got sharpened in place of the real apex.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Can I get some good info on different options for maintenance and care with the v-toku2 steel. Normally for my other blades I clean them with alcohol, and then use them without any other maintenance. Mostly because I use them a lot on food, and don't want oil ruining the food etc. Should I look into doing something different with v-toku2?. If I force a patina, well that help with rust, corrosion in long run? Even if go with the forced patina, will I still need to oil it afterwards?

Any info on different options and care instructions/ideas with this steel in particular would be very appreciated

Dave
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Hey Dave, welcome to the forum. I use Nano-oil for the pivot and keep a coat of Mineral Oil on the blade (commonly found in a pharmacy; sold as a laxative) and has worked very well in preventing rust, however this will not prevent a latina :D. Mineral oil is food safe, as it is meant to be ingested, so there are no worries for food contact. You have to consume quite a bit more for it to take effect, so no worries there either :p. V-Toku2 has a very low tolerance towards stain resistance when in contact with certain foods, so I'd say there are no benefits, aside aesthetics, of a forced patina because one will take naturally. I'm experimenting carrying without any oil whatsoever and there have been no signs of unwanted staining. I work in temperature controlled environments ranging from -10 to 80 degrees with various humidity and tons of water and there has been no reaction from the steel while riding in the pocket. I do live in a dry and usually hot environment and used to unload freight trucks in 100+ degree weather daily and have had stainless steels spot rust :eek:. That said, in my use, if you clean and dry your knives following any food prep/use around water or sweat, you should be just fine in preventing rust, but you will get a deserved patina :).
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

weeping minora wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:50 pm
Hey Dave, welcome to the forum. I use Nano-oil for the pivot and keep a coat of Mineral Oil on the blade (commonly found in a pharmacy; sold as a laxative) and has worked very well in preventing rust, however this will not prevent a latina :D. Mineral oil is food safe, as it is meant to be ingested, so there are no worries for food contact. You have to consume quite a bit more for it to take effect, so no worries there either :p. V-Toku2 has a very low tolerance towards stain resistance when in contact with certain foods, so I'd say there are no benefits, aside aesthetics, of a forced patina because one will take naturally. I'm experimenting carrying without any oil whatsoever and there have been no signs of unwanted staining. I work in temperature controlled environments ranging from -10 to 80 degrees with various humidity and tons of water and there has been no reaction from the steel while riding in the pocket. I do live in a dry and usually hot environment and used to unload freight trucks in 100+ degree weather daily and have had stainless steels spot rust :eek:. That said, in my use, if you clean and dry your knives following any food prep/use around water or sweat, you should be just fine in preventing rust, but you will get a deserved patina :).
Thank you so much for your reply! I will definitely look into picking up some mineral oil. I usually do wipe off my knives after use, and hopefully that will continue to work with this steel too. Thanks again for helping a new member out.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

weeping minora wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:50 pm
On a side note. Why do the few posts I’ve made since joining all need to be approved by a moderator? And will they not need to be approved at some point? By the time they get approved, it’s been a day or so, and there are 20+ newer posts on other forums that bump mine from view on that first forum page before it is even up
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

EDCi spray protectorant works amazingly. Not cheap though ($12-$13)
Collector Knives sells a protectant spray that is also great (can't think of the name) and if I remember is a little bit cheaper.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Dmd1987 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:12 pm
On a side note. Why do the few posts I’ve made since joining all need to be approved by a moderator? And will they not need to be approved at some point? By the time they get approved, it’s been a day or so, and there are 20+ newer posts on other forums that bump mine from view on that first forum page before it is even up
Hey, Dave:
I'm sorry for the inconvenience. We moderate a certain number of posts from all new members. This helps us with the battle against spam. Unfortunately, spammers have become more conniving than ever before. It used to be just spam-bots but now, these days, there are actual people sitting in large rooms (like a phone bank room) who also target sites with spam. Our filters typically block more than 1,500 attempts each week but a few do get through. Their tactics include copying old legitimate posts or even making several seemingly legitimate posts only to edit them later and add their spam. It's a PITA but we take our forum community to heart and will do all that we can to protect our members. I've cleared you from the "new member" group so your posts should go straight through moving forward.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I'm amazed that those spammers actually consider it with their time going back and editing old posts. It has to be about the least effective way of doing it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Username827

Post by Username827 »

Does anyone know if the Dragonfly 2 dropped yet? I saw on the Bladehq website that it was "coming soon".
fixall

Post by fixall »

Username827 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:50 am
Does anyone know if the Dragonfly 2 dropped yet? I saw on the Bladehq website that it was "coming soon".
It has not.
Username827

Post by Username827 »

Glad to hear. I am gonna have to snap one of these up!
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:17 am
Collector Knives sells a protectant spray that is also great (can't think of the name) and if I remember is a little bit cheaper.
Is that food safe?. People on the Inter-webs say it is, but their own website didn't mention it anywhere that I could see.

Dave D
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:39 pm
knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:17 am
Is that food safe?. People on the Inter-webs say it is, but their own website didn't mention it anywhere that I could see.

Dave D
I haven't gotten sick
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

Man I've been seeing some wicked patinas put on vtoku2 blade, I've been careful not to put a patina on mine but how are you guys doing this?
I love the edge retention on vtoku2 and how tough it is especially for how hard people say it is, I just don't want to put a crappy looking patina on it and ruin that xD
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

DBCOOPER wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:49 pm
Man I've been seeing some wicked patinas put on vtoku2 blade, I've been careful not to put a patina on mine but how are you guys doing this?
I love the edge retention on vtoku2 and how tough it is especially for how hard people say it is, I just don't want to put a crappy looking patina on it and ruin that xD
I was worried about screwing it up too. But it was a lot easier (but more time consuming) than I thought. And looking back on it, I'm not sure it can really be "messed up". I used the apple cider vinegar, heated it up in the microwave, and let the knife blade sit top down in a cup, in there for a while. I was careful to pour the vinegar to only right above where the v-toku2 stops, (is that called the plunge grind?)

It took way longer than I anticipated. I was figuring that it would stay in there only 20-30 minutes. But it took about 3 hours, and I reheated the vinegar twice. I would take it out every so often and check it, and it would be this B-e-a-utiful dark color. But then I'd wipe it off as it would lighten up considerably. Knowing what I know now, I'd probably have left it in for another few hours, and I'll probably do that next time it needs a full sharpening.

Also, the vinegar steam kinda gunked up the pivot and stuff inside the handle, so after it was out, dried, sharpened, and oiled, I ended up taking the whole knife apart and cleaning/oiling everything. I think it looks awesome now, and would only like it to be a bit darker.

Now I have too figure out how to post a picture of it. (After I was all done, the thought occur that I should have taken pictures of the whole process. Sorry I didn't think about that before)

Dave D.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

7725730D-14BE-4B14-B021-1BBA67D90FEA.jpeg
What's the maximum size for pictures to be uploaded?. I had to downsize it a bunch of times for it to be able to be uploaded
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

DDF842A1-5C74-4918-B823-434AEFC73A81.jpeg
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Honestly, regarding this sprint, I was concerned about how it would stack up performance wise to the plain Jane vg10, but now after having it and seeing how amazing it looks, I wouldn't care if it's on par with vg10 in the wear resistance category, because of how nice it is aesthetically. Plus, as an added bonus, it forced me to behind a part of this forum/community, because this was my first non stainless blade, and I had no idea what to do, so I had to reach out for help.

Dave D
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:25 pm
Honestly, regarding this sprint, I was concerned about how it would stack up performance wise to the plain Jane vg10, but now after having it and seeing how amazing it looks, I wouldn't care if it's on par with vg10 in the wear resistance category, because of how nice it is aesthetically. Plus, as an added bonus, it forced me to behind a part of this forum/community, because this was my first non stainless blade, and I had no idea what to do, so I had to reach out for help.

Dave D
Wow beautiful patina I like that tbh, and it's definitely alot harder then vg10 but I haven't actually compared the 2, sense it wasn't to much more expensive then the regular vg10 model I figure it's no big deal sense I prefer alloy steels
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum