V-TOKU 2 Love

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Re: V-TOKU 2 Love

Post by archangel »

Observation: according to Spydiewiki, the Endura was designed by Sal. There is no respective laser marking on the blade. Why is that?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Lordwilson86

Post by Lordwilson86 »

Here is mine. Love this knife!

blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I broke down some cardboard boxes last night and was blown away how fast I got it back to hair popping sharp with just the medium rods of the SM. I’m really enjoying these easy to sharpen steels and glad I have a cruwear Manix and a 52100 PM2 to rotate between but lately I’ve been all about the endura!
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Am I the only guy with a Delica in V-toku right now? BTW, the Delicas are great! Edited with a pic - because proof is necessary.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

SolidState wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:28 pm
Am I the only guy with a Delica in V-toku right now? BTW, the Delicas are great!
You have a V-Toku Delica?? How?
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Slumblor wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:43 pm
SolidState wrote:
Am I the only guy with a Delica in V-toku right now? BTW, the Delicas are great!
I think there was an error at SFO.
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

SolidState wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:36 pm
Slumblor wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:43 pm
SolidState wrote:
I think there was an error at SFO.
Nice! :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Saweet! These are about to drop!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:34 pm
Saweet! These are about to drop!
YES!!!!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Has anyone else had issues with edge damage on thin-ish blade grinds? I'm not even certain what I cut that caused the damage on my Endura, but a 30mm section of the edge had rippled and chipped out at the point where the blade curves up to the point. The edge is at 15DPS with no micro bevel, an edge profile that has worked well for me with other high hardness (though this one feels softer than Spyderco Super Blue or 52100 on the stones) HC steels.

After repairing the damaged area of the blade I'm also no longer quite as impressed with the sharpening characteristics compared with SuperBlue, 52100 or CruWear, it seems to be harder to get a high polish edge on V-toku than those steels, though it does seem to work better with lower grit finishes than the others mentioned.

** it seems like this might have been caused by wire-edge that hadn't separated... while I was re-profiling this morning (had given up on using it as a beater and was in the process of making it the best slicer I could without a re-grind) I found that what looked like a well apexed finished edge, actually had a solid .1mm of flexible "edge" that extended past the supported apex. I knocked it off with the points of the Sharpmaker medium rods and then finished with the flats of the fine rods, the edge isn't bad, but it still needs more work... V-toku isn't responding to my bonded diamond stone progression well at all :( Maybe the next sharpening is going to be a freehand run on the water stones.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Bruce Mack

Post by Bruce Mack »

I find that it does not hold a working edge. After a few uses the edge shreds cardboard or even paper with both push and pull cuts. This is after reprofiling to 15° and many passes on the Sharpmaker.
This is my first Endura. I like the blade length but I will probably toss it if I can't "fix" this problem. I'll first examine the edge for chips with a magnifier and then micro bevel to 20°.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

My Endura has some micro chipping in the belly that I first noticed after cutting a nectarine and making contact with the pit. I've touched it up half a dozen times on the sharpmaker (with the 15DPS setting) but can't get those chips out yet. I think I may need to sharpen the bevel which I just haven't gotten around to yet since it takes such a good edge with minimal effort on the SM.

Before this I sharpened the bevel to the 15 deg setting on my EP but I used the primary grind as my anchor point instead of the flat area behind the hole so my bevel is slightly less than 15 deg per side.

I have noticed after cutting any type of fruit or slightly acidic food it does tend to loose a little of the bit. It's been so easy touching up on the SM though it really hasn't bothered me.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Interesting that all of the folks chiming in with edge damage have re-set their edge bevels! I'm thinking that the problem is a wire edge that doesn't get cut off of the apex... Bruce Mack and blueblur, try running the blade past your thumb nail or a plastic ballpoint pen with the edge trailing and firm pressure, look carefully for the apex to be bent by that, if it is, then I think we all may have created wire edge, instead of a burr when sharpening.

When I re-re-profiled my Endura (now about 12.5DPS down from 15), I paid extra attention to this and now I don't see that tell-tale deflection when I try to cause it. Time will tell, but I'm not expecting to have the rippled/chipped edge issue again.

I figured out what caused my edge damage, it was debarking and whittling on a small piece of fully dried wood I cut out of an old rose bush, maybe not oak or rock maple, but certainly a dense and hard wood!

On the same subject I have a hand forged V2 gyuto (V-Toku2 is essentially V2 with the addition of tungsten and vanadium and the removal of copper), which rippled badly when I cut a crusty baguette (yeah, there's a reason bread knives exist!), the damage was very similar to what I saw on my Endura, but much less surprising, since it has a typical Japanese kitchen knife grind primary bevel of about 2DPS, with the apexed bevel angle being closer to 4 or 5DPS. Lesson learned: don't cut crusty bread with a razor blade, but if it's a V2 razor blade, expect it to bend before it breaks!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Mine hasn't hit the stones yet. I just got it yesterday but it will soon!

Here it is with the SB Delica.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I've got mine coming in tomorrow. I'm very excited. Love trying new steels.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Bruce Mack

Post by Bruce Mack »

awa54 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:18 pm
"Bruce Mack and blueblur, try running the blade past your thumb nail or a plastic ballpoint pen with the edge trailing and firm pressure, look carefully for the apex to be bent by that, if it is, then I think we all may have created wire edge, instead of a burr when sharpening."

No expertise here, but I get good cutting at 15 or 20° for a few cuts, then not so good. Would wire edge do this? I'll keep trying. Thanks.
fixall

Post by fixall »

Bruce Mack wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:33 pm

No expertise here, but I get good cutting at 15 or 20° for a few cuts, then not so good. Would wire edge do this? I'll keep trying. Thanks.
That’s exactly how a wire edge bur would behave. Super sharp until it folds over.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:10 am
Mine hasn't hit the stones yet. I just got it yesterday but it will soon!

Here it is with the SB Delica.

I'm excited to hear your thoughts off the stones Darby
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

...But what I really want to know is.... Will there be a Wharncliffe version?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bruce Mack

Post by Bruce Mack »

Bruce Mack wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:33 pm
awa54 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:18 pm
"Bruce Mack and blueblur, try running the blade past your thumb nail or a plastic ballpoint pen with the edge trailing and firm pressure, look carefully for the apex to be bent by that, if it is, then I think we all may have created wire edge, instead of a burr when sharpening."

Still trying and doing better thanks to you. I could not feel or see (10x loupe) wire edge but after some reading I resharpened on the Sharpmaker, using much less pressure against the rods, also trying to finish using a trailing edge stroke. Then held the blade perpendicular to the softwood base of my strop and ran it lightly from choil to tip to remove any residual wire edge. Then a light stropping after which I disposed of 4 cardboard boxes and sub containers in which $500 of canned cat food had arrived at our home yesterday (lots of cardboard, many cats). This time the Endura did me proud and retained working sharpness throughout the task.