Police or Millie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NFMee

Police or Millie?

Post by NFMee »

OK guys, I'm torn between a G-10, flat ground, PE police model, and the smae in the millie. I would use it for general purpose, but also for food prep when backpacking (both are big and light, great for that). Which one has better, ergo's, better lock, easier to clean, etc??

Thanks
glockman99

Post by glockman99 »

I've had a Millie, but because I'm a "lefty", the linerlock didn't work very well for me, so I'd chose the Police model.

Actually, I think the Millie has a better style of blade, with more "belly" for slicing, but because of the liner-lock, I'd have to pass on it...

As far as which one feels better in the hand, that's a pretty subjective thing, so you would have to handle both and make your own choice.

Dann Fassnacht Aberdeen, WA glockman99@hotmail.com ICQ: 53675663
J'man

Post by J'man »

Which one is better? I have owned both, and as a retail meatcutter, I carry and use a pocketknife EVERYDAY. I tend to abuse my knives. For pure, unadulterated blade strength, the Police wins hands down. It doesn't ever break. The blade gets loose in the all steel handle, but it will never let you down. I carried a Millie,(as you call it) for 3 years, before about a half inch of the tip of the blade( an early non-CPM blade) broke off. Yes it was being abused, but the Police wouldn't have broken. The Millie is easily brought to the ready, holds an edge better than ANYTHING else(CPM), stays sharp, and is closed one-handed and easily cleaned. I have broken 2 Military models, one of which was a CPM blade. No fault of Spyderco, I was abusing them past the point of practical usuage. However, I did email Syderco, and they sent me new ones both times. For pure strength, the Police wins, for day to day carry the Millie is still my choice o' the day. Syderco should make a military model with a clip-type bowie blade, 50%/50% combo edge, same steel and thickness as the Police model, with the oversize thumb hole. Then it truly would be a knife fit for heavy military use. Just my humble opinion.
wire edge

Post by wire edge »

The police has a 1/8 inch blade thickness and the military has 3/16 blade thickness, the police has a sharper thinner tip than the military and is more likley to be broke off than the millitarys, the hollow ground police models tip is even weaker with the top grind (false edge). As mentioned, the military is a much better all around knife and even makes a good hunting knife in my opinion. The CPM steels used in the military also offer better edge retention.
The military also offers a bigger more secure grip in my opinion and is easier to clean with its open spacer build, also the lock on the police is more likely to get gummed up with debris causing a locking falure than the linerlock design of the military.As far as lock strength they are about equil. In case you dont know, the police uses the rocker lock called by spyderco the front lock.

Edited by - wire edge on 4/13/2003 1:20:59 AM

Edited by - wire edge on 4/13/2003 1:24:57 AM
gadfly

Post by gadfly »

I prefer the Military to just about anything, but I've been getting sucked in by the 'Lil Temperance, Leaf, of late.

The Police is 4 1/8 long which may make it too long to carry in some juristictions, e.g.,Denver, CO.

The best advice I can give you, is pick up the knife and hold it - You'll know which one to choose. See if you can try the Police with G-10 scales.

Good luck!

One way or the other, you pay for your tools!