Lube behind natural G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RickC27

Lube behind natural G10

Post by RickC27 »

So today I received my BHQ exclusive Manix 2 with the natural G10 scales. When I got home I added a couple drops of the BM Blue Lube to the pivot bushings/washers to ensure smooth operation, as I've done with all my knives. Not thinking about the translucency of the scales, now I see a small dark spot on the outter facing scale side behind the scale next to the pivot screw.

Has anybody else experienced this with their natural G10 scales on any knife? If so, does it eventually dry up and disappear or will I need to remove the scales and clean it up?
Last edited by RickC27 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sirens1

Re: Lube behind natural G10

Post by Sirens1 »

Hi there,

I have not used that kind of lube, but I had a similar issue with the oil I used. To correct it, I placed the knife on it's backside in a warm room, on top of a paper towel. In a day or less, the oil ran down and out of between the scale and liner. Hope this helps, but you can bet that others more knowledgeable than I may have a more definitive solution.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Doesn't take much for that oil to seep between the liner and the scale. I went through this couple of times on my Manix. I thought I put very little amount in, just on the washer, and it still seeped through.

Last time I used grease. Very little. That seems to work the best for me. Very smooth and didn't run between the hardware.
Peter
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

anycal wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:17 pm
Doesn't take much for that oil to seep between the liner and the scale. I went through this couple of times on my Manix. I thought I put very little amount in, just on the washer, and it still seeped through.

Last time I used grease. Very little. That seems to work the best for me. Very smooth and didn't run between the hardware.
Did the oil dry out or run out for you, or did you remove the scales to clean it out?
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

RickC27 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:50 pm
Has anybody else experienced this with their natural G10 scales on any knife? If so, does it eventually dry up and disappear or will I need to remove the scales and clean it up?
Yup, definitely got that when I lubed my M2 in M4/natural. Also from loctite in the factory pocket clip location when I switched it to the other side. And when I wash the blade, I can see if I accidentally got water up in the handle.

I've used rubbing alcohol when I got water in there, but other than that it just looks the way it looks.
anycal

Post by anycal »

RickC27 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:45 pm
Did the oil dry out or run out for you, or did you remove the scales to clean it out?
Yep, took it apart. It actually is not that bad. Do one side at a time. Remove screws from one side, clean it, grease, put it back. Do the other side.

I got water behind the scales bunch of times. It dries out with no issues.
Peter
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Yep happened to me too. I took out the pivot screw and loosened the body screws and slid a piece of paper between the scales and the liner and it soaked up the excess oil. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Foolish Mortal

Post by Foolish Mortal »

holeshot wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:13 am
Yep happened to me too. I took out the pivot screw and loosened the body screws and slid a piece of paper between the scales and the liner and it soaked up the excess oil. :)
Nice.