Newspaper stropping?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
legOFwhat?

Re: Newspaper stropping?

Post by legOFwhat? »

What's newspaper? 😁

My dad use to clean his windshield with it as well as strop his knife along a tightly rolled newspaper.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I use printer paper with diamond pastes. My favorite, and I've tried almost everything. I'll make new ones every other knife or so, but you don't need much paste, and there are very good affordable pastes out there now a days so it's not a big deal. Quick, easy, and very effective. Leather may be preferable sub .5 micron though.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Interesting. I find it pretentious saying news paper can't strop things like HAP-40 or S30v. It does. Just with less forgiveness.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I think newsprint may be more abrasive than we give it credit.

I’ve found it will actually leave scratches on mirror polished bevels on garden variety high carbon steels and the like.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Not great stuff to test a finished edge on either lol
Crux

Post by Crux »

You'll get better results from a phonebook. Trust me. Besides, you have to pay for the newspaper while you can run around any neighborhood and find dozens of abandoned phonebooks.

Or get married and you'll have plenty of useless magazines to strop with. Just don't let her see you do it. No reason, but I'm guessing don't let her see it as it is like a guy joke. They never, ever laugh and somehow things don't go as hoped.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: