2019 Forum Calendar Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

2019 Forum Calendar Contest!

Post by TazKristi »

2019 Forum Calendar Contest! Enter the 2019 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest today (but read the entire post first please ;) )!

Contest Overview:
We are again making a 12-month wall calendar using images created by you, our forum members (this will be our 8th year). We're going to tweak it a bit this year – we want to see your best VERTICAL shot. Just like anything that we do… we keep evolving and pushing into that which is new and different!

We’re also asking that you post your entry in this thread AND upload it along with your information through the link provided below.

Contest starts today, 1-Jun-2018 and ends at 16: 00 MDT Friday, 03-Aug-2018. Winners will be selected by Spyderco and will be posted on the forum by Friday, 17-Aug-2018.

Calendars will be available for purchase this fall through the Spyderco Factory Outlet Store (in person or online at https://spyderco.com).

The Prizes:
If your image is chosen as the Grand Prize Winner, you will receive a Spyderco Kapara (C241CFP - MSRP $289.95) AND a Spyderco Rhino (C210CFP - MSRP $199.95). Your image will be featured on the cover AND on a calendar month page.

Artists who have their image chosen to represent a specific calendar month (a total of 11 winners) will each receive a Spyderco Rhino (C210CFP - MSRP $199.95).

Each member who enters the contest (and uploads their high-res image file along with their contact information) will receive a 2019 calendar at no charge when the calendar becomes available.

Please enter to WIN - don’t enter just to receive the calendar. We appreciate everyone’s interest and support and look forward to another fantastic calendar!

Please read ALL the information below before posting. We know it’s a lot of words, but it’s important!

Submission Guidelines:
Please include a 2-5 sentence description of your entry - why you chose the product(s) featured, the history of the image, etc.; something to give us a better understanding of your submission.

Please include the product name (if you know it) in your post.

Entry must include a Spyderco product (at least one, but multiple are welcome). Any product Spyderco has ever made is fair game. Your chosen product can be pristine, used or radically modified.

We encourage you to use your imagination and show us your creativity. Just remember, family-friendly!

Themed images are welcome. Have a favorite season or holiday? Showcase it in your image.

If your camera or image software can manipulate it – we’ll consider it. Be creative!

Entries must be in a digital format and meet the formatting requirements below.

Only ONE image submission per person. You are permitted to modify your submission after posting. If you decide to modify your entry, you must edit your original submission and re-submit the new image before the contest deadline. Having multiple photo submissions in THIS thread at the end date of the contest will invalidate all your submissions. Your final image submitted in this thread MUST also be uploaded through the link noted below by the close of the contest. If you end up uploading (through the link below) more than one image, the image last posted in this thread is what will be considered.

Posting your image in this thread: It is not necessary or recommended that you post a 300 ppi image to our Forums (heck, it’s not even possible!). Keeping up with web standards, a 72 ppi image preview that does not exceed 960 px in width for the forum will be just fine. You may use a photo sharing site to provide a link to your image so long as all other requirements are met within your post. If you use a photo sharing site, the image must remain publicly available online until 18-Aug-2018.

NEW THIS YEAR! When you post your submission in this thread please ALSO upload your hi-res image and contact information by visiting https://www.spyderco.com/contests/calendar/. If your final submission is not uploaded (hi-res) AND posted in this thread by the close of the contest, your submission will be forfeited.

FORMATTING Requirements:
The Spyderco 2019 Calendar will be printed in an 11” by 8 ½” VERTICAL format. Only VERTICALLY formatted images will be considered, and significant cropping/resizing may occur to winning images. All landscape formatted images will be disqualified.

Final Print Image Guidelines (ABSOLUTE MINIMUM – Images should be no smaller than this):
Width: 2700 px
Height: 3450 px
Resolution: 300 ppi
(This translates to 9” x 11.5” to account for a ¼ inch bleed)

Image Preview (for posting on the forum)
Width: 960 px
Resolution: 72 ppi

Content Restrictions:
The submission must not contain any copyrighted material (unless you own the copyright).

Your submission must be entirely original and created by you.

Images may not contain any kind of promotional material - this includes trademarks and logos for non-Spyderco businesses, even those for your own personal endeavors.

Only family-friendly, tasteful submissions will be considered. Remember this calendar will be hanging in someone’s home or office.

NOTE: If you upload an image that we feel might violate our content restrictions, we will do our best to contact you and let you know that your image might be disqualified prior to the end of the contest. However, we cannot guarantee this so be sure to meet all requirements and review the content restrictions carefully prior to posting.

Eligibility:
The 2019 Spyderco Calendar Contest is open to all members of the Spyderco.com Forum who are at least 18 years of age. Proof of age may be required.

Employees, relatives of employees of Spyderco, its partner companies, and manufacturers are not eligible to enter or win.

Obligatory Fine Print:
Submitted images become the exclusive property of Spyderco Inc. By posting your photo in this thread, user grants unencumbered, free usage and printing use solely to Spyderco Inc.

This contest is subject to all laws and void where prohibited.

Please keep in mind that there are various laws and regulations regarding knives throughout the world. If you are selected as a winner and you live in a region that prohibits us from sending the intended prize we have the right to substitute your prize as we see fit.

We reserve the right to substitute prizes if any unforeseen issues arise with availability.

Hints for success:
If this is the first year that you’ve seen this contest, please take a moment and look at past calendar contests to get an idea of what has been submitted and what has won. Here are a few links to get you started.

2016 Submissions: https://tinyurl.com/2016CalendarSub
2016 Winners: https://tinyurl.com/2016CalendarWin

2017 Submissions: https://tinyurl.com/2017CalendarSub
2017 Winners: https://tinyurl.com/2017CalendarWin

2018 Submissions: https://tinyurl.com/2018CalendarSub
2018 Winners: https://tinyurl.com/2018CalendarWin

Be mindful of the placement of the Spyderco product. Items that are too close the edges can be cut off when we format for printing.

We are consistently in awe of the talent that our forum members have, and we’ve seen the level of talent and creativity increase every year. Give us your best! We can’t wait to see this year’s submissions! Good luck to everyone!!
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Mushroom

Re: 2019 Forum Calendar Contest!

Post by Mushroom »

I've been eagerly waiting for this to start! Been taking pictures all year in prep for it!

Thanks again for hosting this contest, I have had fun entering and competing the past few years!

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Looking forward to participating and seeing all the great submissions.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:51 pm
I've been eagerly waiting for this to start! Been taking pictures all year in prep for it!
Haha, me too. I had a couple potentials to consider for submission, but now that they need to be vertical it's back to the drawing board for me!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Wow I can’t believe it’s that time again! Now which spydie should I take a photo with..decisions decisions.
Josh
attila

Post by attila »

Does anybody know if an iPhone 6 SE camera has high enough quality for this? I don't have any fancy photography gear but would still like to participate. Thanks!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Vertical pictures now ... :eek:
So I can forget all the taken pictures showing different seasonfeelings. :(
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

I've always wanted to participate in Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest. I'm definitely in!
Good luck to everyone and many thanks to Kristi and all the Spyderco crew!
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Great to see this thread pop up; I was wondering when it'd be that time of year again :D
I'm definitely in once again!
I like the fact that it's vertical pictures this year, but the pictures I took in preperation for this year's contest will be useless :p

Good luck to everyone participating!
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have had some great pictures in previous years that were portrait so this sounds great. I may just be able to dig through the crates for a submission. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Cool that it's a different format this year. It's time to get back in the calendar game!
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

Vertical format? Cool! Vast scope for creativity.
CommercialDalton

Post by CommercialDalton »

Never posted an image on here so hoping this works ;)

I am a commercial diver that has used Spyderco knives on my dive harness for over 10 years. We beat the crud out of our knives offshore. I Haven't found another knife brand that would come close to taking the abuse we put them through. Was very excited about the Carribean once I had seen it in the product guide due to the fact they were using the LC200N as well as the compression lock. I was lucky enough to be gifted a pair, (one sheepsfoot and one leaf) from a very generous friend. The moment I held the knife, I loved it. It was more lightweight than I could have ever imagined, while still feeling sturdy. The ability to open the knife with the "Spydie Flick" and then close it with the same hand is a great feature not usually available on a Salt Series knife^^ Good luck to all those that enter!
Last edited by CommercialDalton on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

attila wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:58 pm
Does anybody know if an iPhone 6 SE camera has high enough quality for this? I don't have any fancy photography gear but would still like to participate. Thanks!
It has enough resolution. In portrait orientation, you get 3024x4032 pixels, exceeding Spyderco's specification of 2700x3450.

https://developer.apple.com/library/con ... meras.html
-Kyle

attila

Post by attila »

jabba359 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:17 pm
attila wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:58 pm
It has enough resolution. In portrait orientation, you get 3024x4032 pixels, exceeding Spyderco's specification of 2700x3450.

https://developer.apple.com/library/con ... meras.html
Thanks!! I had my doubts because of some grainy photos, but perhaps that's just the lighting factor at work.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

attila wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:21 pm

Thanks!! I had my doubts because of some grainy photos, but perhaps that's just the lighting factor at work.
Yeah, as long as you feed your camera enough light, it should be fine. They tend to get grainy when you start dipping into low light, so bright and sunny are your friends with phone cameras. ;)
-Kyle

jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

As in years past, if anybody needs any assistance upscaling photos that are just a little short of the required pixel count or changing the resolution to match the requirements (300 dpi upload, 72 dpi forum post), just shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to run it through Photoshop to get you in spec. I won't do any artistic changes for you (that's up to you), but am happy to help with meeting technical requirements.
-Kyle

i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Vertical format will make this one interesting!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

jabba359 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:51 pm
As in years past, if anybody needs any assistance upscaling photos that are just a little short of the required pixel count or changing the resolution to match the requirements (300 dpi upload, 72 dpi forum post), just shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to run it through Photoshop to get you in spec. I won't do any artistic changes for you (that's up to you), but am happy to help with meeting technical requirements.
I will keep that in mind! Thanks jabba that is very generous!
Josh
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

jabba359 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:51 pm
Thank you!