So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Post by Pelagic »

Anything in maxamet is going to sell.

The manix and native models would have sold a lot more quickly (imo) if they weren't restricted to the lightweight model. The maxamet pm2 is the rarest and most expensive maxamet model because (other than that knife being one of the most popular within the knife community) the blade size suits the needs of the average user best.

Maybe spyderco has looked at their sales vs the difficulty of working with maxamet, and is in no hurry to continue use with it (although I'm sure more maxamet is on the horizon). But I think any disappointment in sales is due to the exact models they chose to use maxamet with. Maybe they wanted to keep the price down by going with FRN, but (and there is always a limit to this, but...) most people eager to buy maxamet are probably willing to pay a little extra (namely for g10 scales). Hopefully the sales of the pm2 and pm3 have shown them that the desire for steels like maxamet is worth any cost. I would love to see HAP72 or Rex 121 one day. They can cite difficulty working with the steel just as the consumer can cite difficulty reaching that deeply into his or her pocket, but both can be done.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:04 am
It sure would be reassuring if someone from Spyderco would chime in here and say "don't panic, Maxamet is here to stay" or something along those lines, though.

This seems to be one of those “hope for the best, expect the worst” type of deals.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Oh noes, we only have Cru wear, s110v, m4, CTS 204p, etc. What are we gonna do?!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:37 pm
Oh noes, we only have Cru wear, s110v, m4, CTS 204p, etc. What are we gonna do?!
Aside from s110v, none of those steels really possess nearly the same qualities.

I'm not saying steels ultra-rich in carbides are necessary, but there is a market for them and they ARE excellent performers.

Steel qualities aside, it's never fun to have something come around for a few months and disappear.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

I am sure sal will chime in if maxamet is dead......
EngDevGr3

Post by EngDevGr3 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:37 pm
Pelagic is correct. Maxamet is unique in it's composition and it is in a different class of performance in regards to edge retention. As he said, it may not be needed for knives but if we are going to look at it that way, what is needed?
Spyderco has done an outstanding job in bringing Maxamet to the production knife market as well as being the tip of the spear in general for innovations in cutlery. I hope they push through and continue to bring new and exciting steels that others will not, or more often, cannot work with.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Not much love for K390 ?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

shunsui wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:31 pm
Not much love for K390 ?
Why choose?
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

shunsui wrote:
Not much love for K390 ?
I actually love K390 quite a lot.

But K390 looks like it's being used in Maniago models, with Maxamet the equivalent for Golden models. The cost of shipping steel probably means we're most likely to see European steel (K390) in models produced in Europe and American steel (Maxamet) in models produced in the USA. So the Urban is N690, with K390 and Elmax sprints, the UKPK is available in s110v and BD1N.

I doubt we'll see K390 in Golden models anytime soon. If we do, that would be awesome, but I'll settle for the Maxamet for now.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:20 pm
shunsui wrote:
Not much love for K390 ?
I actually love K390 quite a lot.

But K390 looks like it's being used in Maniago models, with Maxamet the equivalent for Golden models. The cost of shipping steel probably means we're most likely to see European steel (K390) in models produced in Europe and American steel (Maxamet) in models produced in the USA. So the Urban is N690, with K390 and Elmax sprints, the UKPK is available in s110v and BD1N.

I doubt we'll see K390 in Golden models anytime soon. If we do, that would be awesome, but I'll settle for the Maxamet for now.
I'd like definitely like see to a k390 run like what they are doing with the rex45.
K390 has great strength, toughness and Sharpening.

I just like Maxamet because of how aggressive the edge gets and that it just doesn't stop cutting. Sure the cutting quality drops as it wears but it never goes completely blunt. Very cool stuff. Just keeps shredding.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am in love with K390 and want to see more knives in this steel.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:11 pm
I am in love with K390 and want to see more knives in this steel.
Yes, something in-between a police 4 and a Urban :D
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Don't make me give BBS $300.00!
AGMartinez

Post by AGMartinez »

All black DLC Maxamet 3.5in length and thicker blade with a 1/3 toothless alternating large-and-small serration (for conical sharpeners) lock back in steel liners with G10 scales. With an alternate model in CTS 204P.

Long live tungsten-alloyed steel blades!!
No more liner locks. Lock backs and fixed blades are the only knives. Get rid of the weak. Our desire for steel is as our desire for gemstones, they are software to our bioelectric hardware.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

AGMartinez wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:33 pm
All black DLC Maxamet 3.5in length and thicker blade with a 1/3 toothless alternating large-and-small serration (for conical sharpeners) lock back in steel liners with G10 scales. With an alternate model in CTS 204P.

Long live tungsten-alloyed steel blades!!
Give me plain edge, or give me death
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:14 pm
The manix and native models would have sold a lot more quickly (imo) if they weren't restricted to the lightweight model.
Maybe yes, maybe no. Personally, I would not have purchased the Maxamet Native in any format other than the lightweight FRN model.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

dsvirsky wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:09 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:14 pm
The manix and native models would have sold a lot more quickly (imo) if they weren't restricted to the lightweight model.
Maybe yes, maybe no. Personally, I would not have purchased the Maxamet Native in any format other than the lightweight FRN model.
There's no way to tell obviously as this is all hypothetical, but I do think g10 is more popular than FRN generally.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I wonder if Spyderco is afraid to come out with a G10 Manix in Maxamet because of the price increase? Personally, I really rather prefer the heavier more solid feeling of the G10 Manix over the LW and if they came out with a G10 version I would buy 2 immediately. I can't think of any other reason why they don't produce it since they don't appear to have the trouble producing this blade shape compared to the PM2/para 3.
basedlarrydavid

Post by basedlarrydavid »

Just a heads up, I spoke with someone who went to Blade Show and he said that Spyderco had all of the Maxamet models on display. He was told that they would be available again in late summer.

I wasn't there myself, so I won't put my name on it. But if I were any of you, I wouldn't be paying some of the prices that some people are paying for Maxamet PM2s. I think they'll be back.

I hope this means they found a way to make Maxamet work, because I would love a Millie in Dark Grey/Maxamet.
More K390 and 10V, please.

Instagram: @ohioapexing
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

basedlarrydavid wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:00 pm
Just a heads up, I spoke with someone who went to Blade Show and he said that Spyderco had all of the Maxamet models on display. He was told that they would be available again in late summer.

I wasn't there myself, so I won't put my name on it. But if I were any of you, I wouldn't be paying some of the prices that some people are paying for Maxamet PM2s. I think they'll be back.

I hope this means they found a way to make Maxamet work, because I would love a Millie in Dark Grey/Maxamet.
That will be Radical
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives