AFI Performance Flash Batch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

AFI Performance Flash Batch Yes or No?

Yes
92%
No
8%

Total votes: 178

tvenuto

Re: AFI Performance Flash Batch

Post by tvenuto »

I believe they did actually finish the Hap40 models with a thinner grind. It was probably slight but I remember reading about it. (Rex 45 is supposedly similar, is why this is relevant)
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I wish Sal would chime in, guessing he's getting ready for Blade
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Ha yea at some point we have to realize that, as cool as it is he finds time to talk to us, he does have to keep driving Spyderco forward. If he only talked to us the ideas would get implemented as fast as if he never did.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:54 am
The mid year just dropped. What about a thinned out Rex 45 model?
Now you're talking.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

This thread got me to thinking about comparing apples to apples. I started looking through my collection and found a great donor candidate to be thinned for comparison, FFG JD Smith. If I can find a member with a user factory model (or one that has already been reground) I would be willing to sponsor a pass around. This means the other volunteer would need to be equally as willing.
Anyone interested please quote me here and message me for further details.
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

SO tonight I needed to get to work on a project I am in charge of (VBS creative director) and that means I needed sets. I wander to the basement and set up my cutting station where I am making improvised boards for a half-pipe. Anyway, I have about 200' of 3/4" rigid foam insulation to rip through. Reach for my trust Cruwear Mule that continues to ride on my hip, nearly everyday since the fixed blade edc challenge thread from November. I make it through the first 4' cut, but quickly realize the blade stock length is wedging in the rigid media. I also noted the edge was not as sharp as it could be and therefore I reached for the Maxamet Manix 2 that I carried as well today knowing it had a razor sharp and fresh edge. Before my thumb could find the spydiehole, I saw the problem again, I needed thinner stock.
Walking upstairs I made my way to where my Phil Wilson is kept, then I also noticed that it still might be too thick. As I looked past the tip of the blade, I saw my 4" K05 Paring knife. Remembering that Sal did talk about opening packages with a kitchen knife and the discussions of this thread gave me a big smile.
200' later without a resharpen or touchup.... the project is done and this is the tool for the job. Thinner blade stock for slicing purposes is not a pipe dream. The knife is barely a usable edge now, but it still worked.

*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

In my youth I did things with my mother's kitchen knives that some people wouldn't dare doing with a proper fixed blade, and those knives were all probably less than 2mm. They were also really soft/flexible steels though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

xceptnl wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:20 pm
200' later without a resharpen or touchup.... the project is done and this is the tool for the job. Thinner blade stock for slicing purposes is not a pipe dream. The knife is barely a usable edge now, but it still worked.
Great post :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Voted yes - but I could be a little biased.
This thread needs some regrind pics. :)

Own (4) PM2's:

(2) Cruwear + S35VN:
Enjoy these knifes for harder use around the home, hiking or camping. Toughness, corrosion resistance, sharpen ability, etc. I feel these knives serve their intended purposes, and I keep them sharp at 15/30 inclusive on the sharpmaker. Overall, very happy with their performance.

(2) CPM-M4 + M390:
Both with Krein Regrinds. Oh man, do these knives slice. You can definitely tell the difference between a factory and thinned out edge. Spyderco leaving it thick behind the edge is understandable, but I like it thin. Mainly I use these knives as my edc around the house, light to medium use, not seen any chipping yet. -C
Attachments
2018-05-28 11.02.13.jpg
2018-05-28 11.02.13.jpg (112.36 KiB) Viewed 3836 times
2018-01-22 20.32.08.jpg
vivi

Post by vivi »

I put thinner edges on every PE knife I buy. It'd be nice not having to once in a while. I could go for thinner stock and FFG on saber ground models I carry as well, both for cutting performance and to trim weight.
:unicorn
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Love to see a Ti Millie with thinned S110V, M390, or other stainless.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Yes.

I would buy all models.

So much win with this idea.

Can’t see it happening because lawyers and law suits are a thing.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:24 am
Yes.

I would buy all models.

It's all about the disclaimer. I doubt anyone is suing Opinel if they break a blade.

Speaking of Opinel, if anyone wants to try a thin blade for cheap they can be had for less than $20 and are possibly the best slicing knives available for the price.
~David
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Evil D wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:31 am
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:24 am
Yes.

I would buy all models.

It's all about the disclaimer. I doubt anyone is suing Opinel if they break a blade.

Speaking of Opinel, if anyone wants to try a thin blade for cheap they can be had for less than $20 and are possibly the best slicing knives available for the price.

just look at some videos of Opinel use (and abuse!) on YouTube
They take a beating, bend, twist, and do horrible things without breaking :eek:

imagine now modern steels, grinds with the current knowledge applied to them, etc. :rolleyes:
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Vivi wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:25 am
I put thinner edges on every PE knife I buy. It'd be nice not having to once in a while. I could go for thinner stock and FFG on saber ground models I carry as well, both for cutting performance and to trim weight.
Is this with a belt sander?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:

There is an ocean of difference between a thinner edge bevel and a thinner blade grind ;)
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:58 am
Vivi wrote:

There is an ocean of difference between a thinner edge bevel and a thinner blade grind ;)
Precisely. I would venture to bet money that an Opinel with a 25dps will cut far better than a factory Millie with a 17 or even 12 dps edge.
*Landon*
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

My Opinel is the meanest (folding) slicer I own. I'm constantly impressed by its cutting performance especially relative to its price point.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Vivi wrote:

Thanks sherlock :rolleyes: point is if the knives were thinner I wouldn't have to spend my time making them thinner by hand.
vivi

Post by vivi »

xceptnl wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:55 am
Evil D wrote:
Vivi wrote:

Precisely. I would venture to bet money that an Opinel with a 25dps will cut far better than a factory Millie with a 17 or even 12 dps edge.
A Millie with a 10DPS edge will outcut Opinels in most materials. I've EDC'd both.