AFI Performance Flash Batch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

AFI Performance Flash Batch Yes or No?

Yes
92%
No
8%

Total votes: 178

Baron Mind

Re: AFI Performance Flash Batch

Post by Baron Mind »

AFI K390 Delica?! Sal, you never cease to amaze. I've no problem waiting for the k390.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

sal wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:40 pm
The Delica is the current plan. I've got a drawing, now to see if the maker can get to the odd specs. Very thin edge, high hollow grind, high hardness steel, etc.

sal
Sal, Please bring back the pointy tip... please, please! This is what I miss most from the old version.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

sal wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:34 pm
Any suggestions on steel? My first thought was K390, but they aren't planning on making any until OCT '19, though we probably won't have the design finalized until then.

sal
Super Blue would be awesome in thinner stock as well.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

My vote would be to wait for K390 but I am also perfectly happy seeing this knife in Superblue or AEB-L.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
PStone

Post by PStone »

Yes! So this is actually going to happen!!?

K390 is quite alright with me. Even if there is a longer wait. Although I would still be happy with any of the Japan/Hitachi steels. It’s that high/full hollow I am really after.
Trp2080

Post by Trp2080 »

Been wanting a k390 spyder this one sounds perfect
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

At 30+ Spydies, and I am very much looking forward to this K390 AFI version being my first Delica! After the first run in the AFI version, I think a K390 sprint wharnie version in a flat grind would be fantastic, but I admit that I am totally getting ahead of myself.
So it goes.
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

Airlsee wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:02 pm
At 30+ Spydies, and I am very much looking forward to this K390 AFI version being my first Delica! After the first run in the AFI version, I think a K390 sprint wharnie version in a flat grind would be fantastic, but I admit that I am totally getting ahead of myself.
Who knows. If this becomes a success, maybe we can get that AFI wharnie delica
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd buy a high hollow K390 delica.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Definitely in for a k390 Delica. Looking forward to a high hardness, thin ground factory edge. Can we also get a darker blue handle? I’ve heard the police 4 lw may be coming with a darker blue handle and after seeing the recent m390 Delica, something close to that would be icing on the cake. Thanks Sal!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

K390 would be worth the wait. It's a great steel, it performs superbly in the Police 4 platform. I would love to see what it could do with a high hollow and .010bte grind. An inspired choice Sal.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

A.S.O.K.A wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:44 am
Hey Sal, I definitly hope to see more k390 in locking folders. I vote yes to K390 for this project. Hambone, I did an edge holding study with my Para3 in M4 and with some tough material cut hear and there as well as cutting the usual cardboard and rags, M4 held up for 61 days with the help of stropping once a week and no sharpening of any kind during that time.
[/quote]

A.S.O.K.A.,

I saw that! Great to know. I watched the YT video. Thanks for sharing the information!

Hamilton
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

This is great news! Personally I'm happy to wait for K390.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

A.S.O.K.A wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:10 pm
I think would go for a dragonfly or lil native to test the waters of an AFI piece. Knowing how I handle knives, I would say a smaller knife to start with is best for me
yes i would vote for a thinner stock lil native compression lock, with 30 degree edge grind no microbevel at .010.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I am curious as to whether a TiCN coating would further improve the slicing performance of this model via added lubricity?

I've seen various sources say that coatings like DLC and TiCN decrease friction and that is actually why they don't coat the liners on the compression lock models, because the decreased friction where the lockup occurs increases the likelihood of lock failures.

So basically, since we are looking for a high performance slicing machine here, if TiCN will decrease friction and help it blast through cardboard and such, perhaps we should consider coating this new AFI model?

Especially if we go with K390, a corrosion prone steel.

This model in an earth tone FRN with TiCN coated K390 blade and liners would be a dream.

Maybe offer this first model in both coated and uncoated to appease both parties and to allow direct comparisons of slicing performance that can be used for helping decison making on future runs???
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:34 am
I am curious as to whether a TiCN coating would further improve the slicing performance of this model via added lubricity?

I've seen various sources say that coatings like DLC and TiCN decrease friction and that is actually why they don't coat the liners on the compression lock models, because the decreased friction where the lockup occurs increases the likelihood of lock failures.

So basically, since we are looking for a high performance slicing machine here, if TiCN will decrease friction and help it blast through cardboard and such, perhaps we should consider coating this new AFI model?

Especially if we go with K390, a corrosion prone steel.

This model in an earth tone FRN with TiCN coated K390 blade and liners would be a dream.

Maybe offer this first model in both coated and uncoated to appease both parties and to allow direct comparisons of slicing performance that can be used for helping decison making on future runs???

I had a DLC Para 2 for a while and honestly I felt like the coating created drag when cutting boxes compared to a satin blade. Then again there seems to be a change in what they use or how they apply it because that knife looked like a chalk board, while my DLC Manix 2 and Autonomy have a more satin black sheen compared to the flat black Para 2. Maybe it was that difference.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

I had the same experience with a DLC Para 2. Real noticeable when halving apples.

TiNi is slicker, though I don't think it's any slicker than satin finished blades. While it probably helps with corrosion resistance, I've rusted the blade on my black szabo folder. DLC is on an entirely different level in that respect, I've never rusted through DLC.
:unicorn
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I've read that the finish of the blade is what causes differences in the DLC finish. If you polish the blade before DLC it'll be a polished finish. If you bead blast it'll be a matte finish. I wonder if TiNi is the same.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd rather have a satin finish myself.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I'm just not a fan of coated blades. Blade steel is beautiful to me. Let it shine!