AFI Performance Flash Batch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

AFI Performance Flash Batch Yes or No?

Yes
92%
No
8%

Total votes: 178

Mattysc42

Re: AFI Performance Flash Batch

Post by Mattysc42 »

The Laconico Keen was the knife that made me want keener grinds. That blade was .010 1mm bte and 18dps from the factory, .008 after reprofiling to 15dps. I’m really hoping to see some Spydercos with equally keen grinds, though I’d prefer something out of Golden if it happens. I’m not a fan of most of the seki knives I’ve held. I have a zdp endura and delica, a hap40 wharncliffe delica, as well as an Atlantic Salt, and all have much more blade play than any of my Golden and Taichung lockbacks. The hap40 wharnny even had the pivet warp somehow (I haven’t pried with it) and doesn’t close anymore; the edge just cuts into the handle.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:55 am
I see a lot of request for the delica here. I do like the delica, but it's plenty thin enough for me the way it is. I'd prefer a classically thicker model, slimmed down and souped up in some way. E.g. The military/paramilitary series. Etc
You have to keep in mind that picking a thicker model means they will have to use the same thickness blade stock, so the lock and pivot will work, and the gind away all that extra steel. Thats wasted steel, and wear on the equipment. It's only money but how many people would be willing to pay what spyderco would have to charge to make something like that? PM2 and Millies are already in the 150-200 range. Add in a fun steel and grind costs and you have a shrinking number of people willing to buy. A delica won't break the bank, and since it's already got a thin blade stock, they won't have to waste as much steel to get it where we want it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:40 am
DOUBLE D wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:55 am
I see a lot of request for the delica here. I do like the delica, but it's plenty thin enough for me the way it is. I'd prefer a classically thicker model, slimmed down and souped up in some way. E.g. The military/paramilitary series. Etc
You have to keep in mind that picking a thicker model means they will have to use the same thickness blade stock, so the lock and pivot will work, and the gind away all that extra steel. Thats wasted steel, and wear on the equipment. It's only money but how many people would be willing to pay what spyderco would have to charge to make something like that? PM2 and Millies are already in the 150-200 range. Add in a fun steel and grind costs and you have a shrinking number of people willing to buy. A delica won't break the bank, and since it's already got a thin blade stock, they won't have to waste as much steel to get it where we want it.

Yea I understand what your saying, but I still feel like it totally defeats the point. And I don't think the market will be there for a crazy slicing delica, because the delica is already a crazy slicer. Why pay $150ish for a ridiculous slicing delica, when the standard is already only one step behind ridiculous in the slicing department. However a PM2 with a a blade stock like a standard delica... That's something that I believe will be a huge hit among knife afi's. And will be a gigantic difference in performance.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The reality of this happening is going to come down to production feasibility. You can't simply change the Military blade stock down to 2mm without also changing the standoffs/lanyard/pivot and lock geometry, unless they leave it at 4mm and take the blade grind down to 2mm, which would result in more machining than they probably want to do. You can thin the blade grind down so it's thinner behind the edge and it'll improve slicing, but if you do the same with an already thin blade stock it's even better. It makes sense to start with a thinner blade, and with a model that already has a thinner blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I think you will see a huge difference in performance between a stock FFG Delica with a BTE thickness of .028 (thank you bte database :D ) and a Superblue Delica with an extra high hollow grind that's .010 BTE. Trust me, there will be a difference.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'd vote for the Endela over the Delica. Why not? It's affordable and it's a new model that people are excited about. It's also thicker at the spine than the Delica so it will benefit more from a thinner grind.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

One of my top picks would be a Stretch. It already has a thin(ish) blade and lots of distal taper. If they did nothing more than thin the blade grind out it would be a great slicer.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:26 pm
I think you will see a huge difference in performance between a stock FFG Delica with a BTE thickness of .028 (thank you bte database :D ) and a Superblue Delica with an extra high hollow grind that's .010 BTE. Trust me, there will be a difference.
That's thicker than I thought. I figured the Delica was closer to .020 than .030 :eek:

ABX2011 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:44 pm
I'd vote for the Endela over the Delica. Why not? It's affordable and it's a new model that people are excited about. It's also thicker at the spine than the Delica so it will benefit more from a thinner grind.

I doubt Spyderco would put a brand new, unproven model out in "afi spec". They might after the Endela has proven itself, but I think that's unlikely. As others have already said, it makes less sense, from a cost and difficulty standpoint, to grind a thicker stock down, instead of using a knife with an already thinner stock.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Caly Jr seemed to be a success in Superblue, perhaps we could use this wide leaf blade as an AFI platform? Thicker stock than the Delica, but ......
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Albatross wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:53 pm
I doubt Spyderco would put a brand new, unproven model out in "afi spec". They might after the Endela has proven itself, but I think that's unlikely. As others have already said, it makes less sense, from a cost and difficulty standpoint, to grind a thicker stock down, instead of using a knife with an already thinner stock.
I respectfully disagree with both of your points.

First, it won't take long for the Endela to prove itself.

Second, a knife with thin stock like the Delica will benefit greatly from simply reprofiling the edge bevel. Anyone with a coarse sharpening stone should be able to turn their Delica into a slicing beast with minimal effort.
In contrast and to illustrate my point, take a knife like the Paysan with thick stock and a saber flat grind. You would need to regrind the primary bevel to make it really perform.
I'm not suggesting that Spyderco change the spine thickness of the Endela and I'm not worried about them grinding slightly thicker stock. They work with Maxamet, S110V, K390, etc.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I'd go with a thinner blade stick model for a single afi model, but thin blade stock is not necessary to see the benefits of a steeper primary grind. A thicker blade stock that tapers down to .0010 bte instead of .0025 will get a huge boost in slicing performance.
PStone

Post by PStone »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:26 pm
I 1000% agree. Plus the high hollow would let us keep that .010 BTE through many multiple sharpenings. As we will no doubt be sharpening/honing more than the average Joe/Jane for which the stock delica grinds are geared towards.

And if the high grind goes up into the spyderhole, I won’t mind because it won’t have any negative affect on what we are trying to gain in the edge.
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

If you had if you forumites had your choice in blade length for an AFI thin grind what would it be?
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

A.S.O.K.A wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:22 pm
If you had if you forumites had your choice in blade length for an AFI thin grind what would it be?
My first choice would be something like 4".

But I'd be glad for whatever Spyderco comes up with.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Personally, I would want the Baby Horn as my AFI knife.
(or the Caribbean)

But, I feel the Kapara screams for a trip through Sal's workshop. Turn it into a monster.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

A Spydiechef? Totally reasonable, right? :eek:
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:06 pm
A.S.O.K.A wrote:

A Spydiechef XL with a 4' blade? I love it the size it is, but would probably buy a bigger one too.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Delica is a good size.

A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

Enactive wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:42 pm

A Spydiechef XL with a 4' blade? I love it the size it is, but would probably buy a bigger one too.
I think would go for a dragonfly or lil native to test the waters of an AFI piece. Knowing how I handle knives, I would say a smaller knife to start with is best for me
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Enactive wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:42 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:06 pm
A.S.O.K.A wrote:

Sure, that would make it more of a kitchen folder.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"