Spyderco Reinhold Rhino Giveaway!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Filoso-

Re: Spyderco Reinhold Rhino Giveaway!!!

Post by Filoso- »

I’m in. This is a very generous giveaway, thanks for the chance Michael!

My hero is my dad. When he was 17, his father passed away and he was the older son, so he had to stop studying and start to work to take care of his mother and his five brothers... He gave up having a good education to support his family, and waited to found his own family so that everyone was working or receiving a higher education.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

I’m in. My grandfather was in the Navy and my son is planning on going into the air force. It so important for us to never forget the sacrifices.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I’m in.

Very kind of you Michael to do a giveaway. Glad the happy day is finally here. Congrats.

I always think of my grandfathers who both served in WWII. Especially my dad’s father, who was a heavy gunner in Europe and came back a changed man. He was one of the lucky ones who came back at all.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm in.

Many of my family members served our country in the Army and Navy during ww2, Korea, and Vietnam. My Uncle in particular was a hero to me, not for his service in the Army, though I believe all who put their lives on the line for our freedom are heros. He was a hero to me for being a positive influence and roll model in my life at a time I desperately needed one. For teaching me how to work on old cars, how to fight, teaching me about music, how to be cool, how to be a man really. For always encouraging me to follow my own path, not someone else's vision of what my path should be. He bought me my first real knife for which I will always be greatful. He was a true hero and he is dearly missed.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
PStone

Post by PStone »

Wow! Very cool! I’m in!

My grandfather was in WW2. He was the trigger man for those big howitzer guns. I believe 644th tank destroyer batallion. He was deaf in one ear beacause he could only cover one. The other hand pulled the string that fired that huge cannon.

He’s my hero not only because he fought for our country. But because he taught me one valuable lesson. Happiness doesn’t come from getting what you want all the time, it comes from loving what you have.
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

i’m in!

ibe to give the hero status to my mum who raised my sister and me as a single mother to be decent human beings!

that’ll you for the opportunity
attila

Post by attila »

I'm in!

Whenever I am asked who my hero is, I immediately think of my dad. I know it's probably the most common answer, but having just become a dad, I have a better understanding of why that is.

He grew up as an immigrant without a father after coming through Ellis island with my grandmother with nothing but a few posessions. They received $5 each to start a new life. He later served 4 years in the Navy, married my mother, provided for 4 kids, and has since retired. He taught me many things including work ethic, critical thinking, ingenuity, tolerance, and introspection.

However, seeing the challenges mothers face, and considering that my mother was a stay-at-home mom to 4 rowdy kids, she is also a hero of mine. She had the fortitude to deal with our nonsense, get us ready for whatever we had to do, prepare meals, and so much more. I am ashamed of how hard we as children made it for her at times. Among other things, my mom taught me patience, perseverance, compassion, cooking, and the value of handcrafting things myself.

If my wife and I are half as good at parenting and life as my parents were, we'll be able to call ourselves great parents.
Last edited by attila on Mon May 28, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Count me in.

One of my heroes is Sgt. Jacob H. Demand, KIA Sept 14th 2004 in Mosul, Iraq when his patrol came under attack. At the time he was assigned to 1/14th Cavalry, but I knew him from our time together with 2/187th Infantry. He was suppose to be getting out of the Army, but had been put on Stop Loss and ended up getting sent back. From the info I gathered they were ambushed and Demand provided covering fire until his patrol got safely under cover, but took a round right above the chest plate.

We both came to 2/187th Infantry in 1995 - I came from an Army Reserve hospital unit, Demand was straight from Infantry AIT. Our 1st field exercise together he almost shot me. Him and another soldier were new as our squad gunners, I was new as a Infantry Medic. I just knew my job was to follow our Plt. Sgt unless someone needed aid. During the live fire part of our field exercise things went wrong and the squad gunners forgot to shift fire. Our Plt. Sgt. jumped up to run over to them and I followed. Halfway there he noticed I was behind him and he told me to get the **** out of there and in the bunker. That was when I noticed I had tracers on BOTH sides of me. I ran like **** and dove headfirst into the bunker. Afterwards he came up to me apologizing profusely. Told him no worries, just try not to shoot me anymore. He was a big baseball fan, as was I, an we spoke often about that.

So fast forward some and I end up getting diagnosed with 4th stage melanoma (skin cancer). Even though I was offered a medical retirement I was doing everything I could to stay in. Even though the surgery/meds/treatment had me feeling like crap I was trying to stay at my unit too. My immunotherapy treatments caused my pulse to elevate, which in turn caused issues with my running. On my 2 mile runs it wasn't as bad, but for longer runs I would start getting worn out. So one day we had a Brigade run of 4 miles. So all 3 battalions of the 187th Infantry (around 2400) are running in formation - By battalion, then by company. As we are somewhere around mile 3 I start falling behind of HHC Company (where I was assigned as a support unit) and back into Alpha Company (where I was assigned as a medic). As I'm struggling, my guys start calling out "C'mon Doc don't fall out, run with us." and other encouragement. One of those calling out was Demand.

Anyway I ended up getting retired out in '99 when I lost use of my left arm. 9/11 kicks off and I'm a civilian. Couple years later and I learn of Demand's death. I had less than a 5% chance for survival due to the nature of my cancer, yet here I am. I wear his memorial bracelet to this day.

Good write up on Demand
https://www.seattlepi.com/local/article ... 154374.php
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I’m in! My heroes are my uncles who served in the Korean War and never wanted to talk about it. I guess the horrible reality of it was something they wanted behind them. I should have told them how proud I was when I could have. If you are in that situation don’t wait.
Thanks for the chance to win an awesome knife!
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
rescueseven

Post by rescueseven »

I'm in!

Thank you Michael.

Mom.

Son, wife.

A true hero.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’m in.

I am positive there are very many unsung, ordinary men and women who perform bravely in difficult circumstances, who wouldn’t consider themselves heroes, but probably are.

I will however mention my great uncle Frank, wounded at the Battle of the Somme in 1916. Killed by shrapnel in February 1917, he’s buried near Festubert, France. My late mother always quoted her Grandmother, Frank’s mother, as saying “the army just patched him up and sent him back to be killed”. That’s just the way it was.

It was extraordinarily difficult finding anything out about him when I did some research a few years ago : most records were destroyed in the 1940 bombing of WW2. It felt doubly bad that not only his life but much of the history of his existence had been extinguished by warfare.
Flizwit

Post by Flizwit »

I’m in!

My hero is my Wife, she is active duty military in the Navy. She sacrifices and works so hard for us everyday, while also showing me what can be achieved through dedication and hard work. Military life is not easy but it can be rewarding, I want to thank every member of the armed forces and their families for their sacrifice as well. Hope you all had a good Memorial Day.

Thank you Michael for the opportunity to win a Reinhold Rhino, it is an amazing design, I’m glad to see the upgrades as well, and that it will be finally available for all to enjoy!
Last edited by Flizwit on Tue May 29, 2018 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Own: SpyOpera, Kapara, AEB-L Urban, Techno 2, Cat, S30V Dragonfly 2, REC Lil Native, St. Nick’s Lil Native, V-Toku2 Meerkat, McBee, Cruwear Delica.
Previously Owned: CF Caly3 ZDP-189, Sage 1, Lil’ Nilakka
Want: Birdseye Maple Chaparral, Pochi, LC200N Para 3 LW
cutraleufu

Post by cutraleufu »

I'm in!

This is my first post and I'm thankful to all of those that defend us, not only the US but the whole western hemisphere!

I have been following the forum for a while and have joined a few weeks ago, really awesome forum!

Thanks,

Lucas
Foolish Mortal

Post by Foolish Mortal »

I'm in!

My cousin was my best friend for my entire life. He was not all that big of a guy, but he didn't like to lose. He used to kick my backside in tackle football every chance he got. He became a Marine, went off to Iraq, and was injured pretty badly in a firefight. The doctors told him that he was going to lose his leg. He told them, "Under no circumstances are you to amputate". Now normally, the docs aren't going to honor such a request. It's their job. They know what they're doing, but for some reason, the surgeon in charge decided to to what he could, without amputating, but letting my cousin know in no uncertain terms that if things turn sour, he'd go back in and finish the job.

It's been a few years, my cousin still has his leg, and darnit, he now beats me in FLAG football. :mad:

Bless all of the men and women who served, both in and out of uniform.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Thanks for the generous giveaway Michael. I'm in.

My hero is probably my grandmother. She was a tough Irish bird, that didn't put up with any bs, not from her kids or my grandfather.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Thank you for such a tremendous display of generosity, I am in for sure!

My paternal grandfather is my greatest hero. He is everything I aspire to be when I reach his age in life.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I'm in.

Thanks for your generosity. The hero in my life is my father. He never served, but he has been one **** of a role model. His list of traits is too long for a post. I wish I had paid more attention and been more grateful when I was growing up.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I'm in! Thanks for the giveaway Michael!

I'd like to honor my great uncle, who honorably served in WW2.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

I’m in!

A friend of mine enlisted in the Marines right out of high school and went to Iraq to fight for our freedom. Adam lost his life over there but I will never forget him because he was one of the bravest and most selfless people I’ve ever known. God bless all of the fallen heroes.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I’m in too.

I would like to remember my Navy shipmate and best friend Richard Jenks who, after serving in the Navy joined the army, learned to fly helicopters and who died in his on December 13, 1967 in the Republic of Vietnam.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation