Non Locking Flipper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Non Locking Flipper

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I would love to see Spyderco come up with a non locking flipper. Flippers have a great fidget factor and aren’t typically seem in a slipjoint. I know it’s silly but the fidget factor is the biggest thing missing from slipjoints (aside from a lock ;) ).

Seems a flipper slipjoint can be achieved through ball detents. Elijah Isham has a new model coming out that does this. Seems like a really neat step forward for modern pocket knives.

Anyone interested?

Here’s a link to an article about his new design.

http://knifenews.com/elijah-ishams-new- ... ditionals/
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
PStone

Re: Non Locking Flipper

Post by PStone »

I’d be in for something like that. The PITS folder is almost there. If only the finger guard were just a tad longer it could be used as a flipper. So we might be pretty close already. Just tweak that design a little tiny bit.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

That's a nice looking knife. And I like the idea.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I guess slipjoint is the wrong term. Non locker?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
PStone

Post by PStone »

I like both designs. I didn’t mean to detract from the Isham knife. I was only pointing out the pits because i always wished it was a flipper. And it just seems so close.

Anyhow, there seems to be a growing number of changes in knife laws everywhere. Some more lenient(Illinois legalized autos for foid card holders), And some stricter(Canada, uk). It’s hard to keep up with everything.

So an non locker is already on a lot of peoples watch list for a new edc. Then toss in ambidextrous and a flipper! I think the list for people NOT interested would be shorter!
sal

Post by sal »

I thought the law said that a knife that could be flicked was prohibitive. Don't remember anything about locking?

sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I was under the impression that the knife has to lock in the open position for them to consider it prohibited.

This is from their ruling (note the part about locking)

2. In accordance with subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code and the CITT's recent decision in T. LaPlante, the CBSA resolves that centrifugal knives will be classified as prohibited weapons if the following conditions are met:

A: a knife has a blade that opens by centrifugal force, when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist;

B: and it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.

Here is the link to their ruling Sal:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publication ... 1-eng.html

@liquid_cobra
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Cobra,

I would be really hard to make a non locking flipper. I think you would have to use a defective lock?

sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

sal wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 1:49 pm
Hey Cobra,

I would be really hard to make a non locking flipper. I think you would have to use a defective lock?

sal

Hi Sal, seems it’s being done just with ball detents. Check out this video. It’s a flipping non locking knive.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bikmj1Cg_sT/

@liquid_cobra
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cobra,

He's using a ball detent to keep the knife open?

sal
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

A ball detent to hold a blade open is an interesting idea, i would be a little dubious of its long term durability in a flipper application however.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

How do you keep the blade from bouncing off the stop without a lock? Seems very challenging. And probably unsafe in or it would have bad “action”.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

sal wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 2:43 pm
Hi Cobra,

He's using a ball detent to keep the knife open?

sal

Yes, I think that’s correct. Here’s a description from Knifenews:

Isham opted for a detent-style slipjoint mechanism on the Blackstar. “There is a spring bar cut into one of the steel liners, yet it doesn’t have a lock face,” he explains. “Just a detent ball that drops into a hole in both the closed and open positions.” Isham acknowledges that similar mechanisms have been in use for years, most famously by Serge Panchenko.

@liquid_cobra
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I suppose if the ball is fairly large..
sal

Post by sal »

We made a Slip-joint some time ago designed by Bob Terzuola that had two ball bearing detents to hold it open.

I think if I were to design one, it would have to have a finger choil for safety and I think I would opt for a stronger "keep open" mechanism. But I think that if one were in production, they would quickly change the law, because it's the "flick" they're trying to get rid of?

sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I guess they’re trying to get rid of the flick but a knife that doesn’t lock would not fit their current interpretation. They would have to revise their interpretation to include knives that don’t lock. That would truly be a ban on all folding knives.

At any rate, it’s important to remember that the actual law hasn’t changed. Perhaps a change in government next year will set things right again.

Thanks as always for having a look Sal.

@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

They purposely leave a lot of gray area in these laws so it's up for interpretation. You could loosen the pivot on a Svord Peasant enough that you an open it with inertia and suddenly you have a gravity knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I actually don’t think that’s entirely true. I think there’s just such an enormous lack of understanding of how these things work, and the large variety of designs available, lawmakers don’t even realize how much ambiguity they’ve built in. I honestly think they see a SAK, and bali song, and an old timey stilleto switchblade and think that everything falls more or less neatly into one of those forms. Admittedly it is quite difficult to articulate the difference between a true Bali, and a pm2 that you can swing out with the lock depressed, and the janisong.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

sal wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:01 pm
I thought the law said that a knife that could be flicked was prohibitive. Don't remember anything about locking?

sal

Exactly, and no thank you to the idea.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Jazz wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 8:18 pm
sal wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:01 pm

sal

Exactly, and no thank you to the idea.

I don’t think that’s correct. It has to lock. And you don’t have to buy one. :D

@liquid_cobra