Non Locking Flipper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Non Locking Flipper

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Here’s a more detailed look at it..

https://youtu.be/gxkMQK2ClGk
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

And here’s a link to it disassembled so you can see how simple it really is.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjLqaljgCHh/
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'm glad you posted this, Donovan. I was fortunate to spend some time talking with Elijah for a while at the Blade Show. He was carrying the BlackStar prototype and was very kind enough to let me play with it for a while. Its an excellent design and the non-locking flipper mechanism is pure genius! I encouraged him to talk with Spyderco about his flipper mechanism and referenced this thread. Who knows, but maybe something cool will come from this.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:40 pm
I'm glad you posted this, Donovan. I was fortunate to spend some time talking with Elijah for a while at the Blade Show. He was carrying the BlackStar prototype and was very kind enough to let me play with it for a while. Its an excellent design and the non-locking flipper mechanism is pure genius! I encouraged him to talk with Spyderco about his flipper mechanism and referenced this thread. Who knows, but maybe something cool will come from this.

Thank you for sharing! Yeah he seems like some sort of knife prodigy or something. Thanks for mentioning the thread to him. It would be awesome to see what he could come up with for Spyderco should he be interested.

I guess this knife interests me because it pushes the boundaries of what a slip joint could be. Pushing the boundaries is what Spyderco does so it seemed like a good fit.

@liquid_cobra
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

A small flipper without ball bearings!? Where do I sign up? Seriously put a compression lock on that and consider it sold. (I'd be interested in it as a slip joint if the steel is good)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Looks like the detent would wear out and you'd be left with an unusable knife. I'd be curious to see how long that interface holds up.

I'd suggest getting a slipjoint with some nice jigged bone scales to rub on to ease the fidgeting if a locking knife isn't legal there. Or maybe Spyderco could make a fidget spinner?
MMGRenovations

Post by MMGRenovations »

That knife looks pretty sweet. I like that it’s a flipper with no bearings. As Sal also said I would like a finger choil just in case. The whole idea of how this knife works is really interesting. I do have interest in a slip joint. I don’t have any at the moment. I’m waiting till the end of July to buy my first.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

fanglekai wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:04 pm
Looks like the detent would wear out and you'd be left with an unusable knife. I'd be curious to see how long that interface holds up.

I'd suggest getting a slipjoint with some nice jigged bone scales to rub on to ease the fidgeting if a locking knife isn't legal there. Or maybe Spyderco could make a fidget spinner?

I’ve yet to wear out the detent on any of my knives so far. Have you had some experience with that?

No interest in a fisher spinner thanks.

@liquid_cobra
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:46 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:40 pm

Thank you for sharing! Yeah he seems like some sort of knife prodigy or something. Thanks for mentioning the thread to him. It would be awesome to see what he could come up with for Spyderco should he be interested.

I guess this knife interests me because it pushes the boundaries of what a slip joint could be. Pushing the boundaries is what Spyderco does so it seemed like a good fit.

Yes, this exactly! When I first became aware of the BlackStar via social media, my first thought was, "Spyderco needs to see this!"

You're very welcome. :) I'd be pretty thrilled to see an Isham/Spyderco collaboration. The man is indeed a design genius.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The knife itself is beautiful. That's what I like - beautiful clip points. Put a back lock on that and I'll get one. I don't trust that detent is strong enough.
- best wishes, Jazz.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

I'd just like a choil on it because it's nonlocking. It really is a gorgeous design with great flow. Without any size references in the pictures, the sweeping lines make it look a lot bigger than it really is.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Serge Panchencko has been doing dual detent flippers for a while—this is my Bean Cleaver flipper:

gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Those are some very interestingly shaped flipper tabs. I assume they're fully recessed in the handle when the blade is in the open position?
brancron

Post by brancron »

The Serge Bean flipper uses a "double detent" mechanism that could probably be used with some success on a larger knife. Also, the Viper Dan series has a similar system, but has a "half-stop" detent that prevents front-flipping. However, it can be modified to remove the half-stop, which turns it into an effective front-flipper: https://www.reddit.com/r/knifeclub/comm ... moval_mod/

With strong enough detents and the right sort of geometry, I think this double-detent system is a great way to approach non-locking flippers.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

gundamaniac wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:38 pm
Those are some very interestingly shaped flipper tabs. I assume they're fully recessed in the handle when the blade is in the open position?
The Bean Cleaver’s flipper tab completely disappears. So does the Orbit’s flipper, actually. It is the best-positioned flipper tab I’ve experienced. Can be front-flipped, normal flipped, flipped off of a random object, etc.

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Looks like Boker is making a non locking front flipper too. It’s held open by a detent ball. Not bad for 50-60 bucks.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BO01BO ... er-handles

@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Hard to find a video in English on the knife but you can see the action here.

https://youtu.be/useZCUMHER4

@liquid_cobra