Knife to raise support for cancer in men?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Knife to raise support for cancer in men?

Post by Doc Dan »

This year there will be:
About 164,690 new cases of prostate cancer
About 29,430 deaths from prostate cancer
About 10,000 new cases of testicular cancer
1 in 41 men are going to die from prostate cancer

Yet, there is not much support for defeating these cancers. A friend's 25 year old son just had an emergency operation because of testicular cancer (it is usually younger men). He can never have children, a family, and other things. This got me to thinking, can't something be done to raise more support just as is being done for breast cancer in women (men also get this, but not commonly)?

How about a knife in a particular color, like a special shade of blue or blue-gray?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Robbob

Re: Knife to raise support for cancer in men?

Post by Robbob »

Apparently, light blue is the color for prostate cancer. I'm thinking powder blue tuxedo.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

That’s a very fine idea.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Very cool idea. I hope it happens.

Also, super blue blade with the blue scales would be fantastic!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Wonderful idea Doc. I’d support it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yes, support can be hard to come by. Five years ago when I finished my beam radiation therapy and brachytherapy I received this small blue ribbon pin. Hardly anyone knows what it means. Now, having “progressed” to stage four Prostate cancer, support is more available but if I did not have the cancer team at University of Colorado Health in Aurora (Denver) on my side I would be in much worse shape than I am. I have fired two oncologists, two urologists and a big Walmart-like “Cancer Center”. The reasons were due to my study and association with the Prostate Cancer Research Institute in California. They educate and promote the latest and best Prostate cancer research and treatment anywhere. Men need to be armed with knowledge about prostate cancer even if you don’t have it otherwise it is difficult to separate good advice from the bullshit.

https://pcri.org

They would be a fine candidate for support in my opinion and experience.

Strange thing, Cancer. Because of my hormone therapy (which has put the cancer into a dormant state) I’ve lost muscle mass which has put stress on my already weak knee which led to a brace and cane and a couple of falls which aren’t good due to decreased bone density. Too much information perhaps, but there are things it is good to know when a loved one or friend has cancer. The treatments have their down sides. Most usually prostate cancer is not a death sentence. That’s important to know. Life is a death sentence so we must live it with as much meaning and goodness as we are able.

Blue is the Prostate cancer color. I have a blue Delica for some reason. :)
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

good to raise awareness. sounds like a fine idea!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

A powder blue Native 5 LW, perhaps? It needs to be inexpensive enough that people will buy it, and popular enough, as well.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Personally, I would rather have an Urban LW (not a UKPK) but the Native would be a fine choice and so would a Manix 2 LW.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:32 am

A powder blue Native 5 LW, perhaps? It needs to be inexpensive enough that people will buy it, and popular enough, as well.
I like the bracelet. I’m on a Google hunt… https://www.choosehope.com/product/no-o ... uick-order

A powder blue Native 5 LW would certainly find a home with me. Good suggestion. But CristinHove has an excellent point. It would be most appropriate for the knife to be legal everywhere.
Last edited by MichaelScott on Thu May 24, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:35 am
Personally, I would rather have an Urban LW (not a UKPK) but the Native would be a fine choice and so would a Manix 2 LW.
The lower price point and universal legality would act in the Urban’s favour. Time to resurrect the Elmax Urban LW, perhaps?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I would support this as well. Have had several family members pass away from cancer. Powder blue looks great.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Whatever is chosen it should have a ball bearing lock... because..... ya know... :rolleyes:

:D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

My dog just got colon cancer surgery a week ago, thank fully he made it out good. If you make another urban please release the wharn version. Also consider adding a back lock? I really wish the urban had a lock.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
PStone

Post by PStone »

Evil D wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:56 pm
Whatever is chosen it should have a ball bearing lock... because..... ya know... :rolleyes:

+1

Or is it +2?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:56 pm

Haha, i would definitely buy one...

Maybe two would be more appropriate lol.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:35 am
There's nothing stopping several models in the color. I can think of 3 models in pink off the top of my head.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I think it’s a great idea! :cool:

My best friend was diagnosed with prostrate cancer last week as a matter of fact.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Great idea. I’m in🙂
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

There are as many preferences to knives as there are members and I’d personally like a power blue G10 Military in a manly rusty steel but not everyone would or necessarily could buy one.

Perhaps a little powder blue FRN Manbug with the standard VG10 blade and the prostrate cancer ribbon etching may be a good start?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin