Actual users

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
quattro98

Re: Actual users

Post by quattro98 »

If I had to pick two, it would probably be the Para 3 in S110V & the DF2 in ZDP-189. I have plenty of Spyderco's and others that don't get carried, but these are the ones I use regularly:

DF2 in ZDP-189
Chaparral FRN
Native 5 LW in S110V & Maxamet
Native 5 40th in Damasteel
Para 3 in S110V & Maxamet
PM2 in S110V & Maxamet

Non-Spyderco that make it into the key & wallet drawer:
Opinel No 6 in lunchbox
CRK Mnandi
Klotzli ACC M2
Lionsteel TRE
Lionsteel CK slipjoints (multiple blade patterns)
Ohta custom slipjoint (#126)
CRK small Sebenza (CF/KA model)

SAK
Manager or Rambler on keychain
Cybertool M in daily bag
SwissTool Spirit around the house
Farmer for outdoors carry & travel (checked luggage)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:02 am
Militaries, Native 5 and Dragonflies have come up frequently. I’m using smaller knives these days. I may get one more Spyderco but I am going to wait until I get to SFO this summer and handle every one of interest to me. Nothing like having a knife in hand to make a decision on it. And a visit to SFO is always a highlight of the day.

Holding it is definitely an advantage before buying but for me I didn't love the Military until I used it. It's just the best knife of this size I've ever really used. It's overkill for most casual EDC needs but when you really need to do knife work it's the next best thing to a fixed blade as long as you're not trying to breach doors and split firewood. It carries so well for it's size. I really like the Military/Dragonfly or Military/Ladybug combo.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Manix -- especially the backlock. Tough design. A perfect blade size for me. PM2 would be my second choice -- a close second.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Evil D wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:55 am
MichaelScott wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:02 am
Militaries, Native 5 and Dragonflies have come up frequently. I’m using smaller knives these days. I may get one more Spyderco but I am going to wait until I get to SFO this summer and handle every one of interest to me. Nothing like having a knife in hand to make a decision on it. And a visit to SFO is always a highlight of the day.

Holding it is definitely an advantage before buying but for me I didn't love the Military until I used it. It's just the best knife of this size I've ever really used. It's overkill for most casual EDC needs but when you really need to do knife work it's the next best thing to a fixed blade as long as you're not trying to breach doors and split firewood. It carries so well for it's size. I really like the Military/Dragonfly or Military/Ladybug combo.
I certainly hear you about using. That is where it all comes together for a knife or it doesn’t. If I had any use at all for a large folder I would likely get a Military. Too many great comments about it not to. I will check one out at SFO just to experience the feel, but life has moved past the Military. Wish I’d had one earlier but I am satisfied with my small, thin ones.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I carry the Military 95% of the time. If I could only have two other knives for the 5% of the time I am without the Military they would be the Manix2 and the PM2 serrated. The Manix 2 is a tank of a knife, and never lets me down. And the full spydie edge PM2 is great for the outdoors.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

If answering this question honestly, I could get by quite well with only a Ladybug. Seriously. :)

I started collecting/accumulating Spydercos in 2001, so I am fortunate to have a decent number of models to play with and enjoy. However, the little Ladybug is all I’ve ever really needed for an EDC. Now, if I had to choose two designs that really resonate with me, I’d choose the Centofante II and original Starmate.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

My modified GB1, native 5 linerless G10 M4, delica hap40 ... in that order.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:25 pm

I certainly hear you about using. That is where it all comes together for a knife or it doesn’t. If I had any use at all for a large folder I would likely get a Military. Too many great comments about it not to. I will check one out at SFO just to experience the feel, but life has moved past the Military. Wish I’d had one earlier but I am satisfied with my small, thin ones.

What's your take on serrations? The Dragonfly Salt can handle literally anything that isn't limited by length or hard prying. It's a super capable little knife. I think if I were limited by length laws it would probably be my primary user, at least until the Native 5 Salt comes. I recently gifted a Salt 2 to a friend and I was very impressed by it, the finger grooves bother me but otherwise it's another great knife that cuts above it's size.
~David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have no experience with SE knives, other than my small Spyderco kitchen knife which cuts anything. Since I do love my Dragonflies (I don’t have my former ones because I lost them.) I should give a SE version a try.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Delica by far is number one. Next, probably my Pac salt. Lastly, my 10v Mule for real work.

Stretch almost made the list, probably my favority folder, but the delica is so light and easy to carry. I have a pac salt tucked IWB right now. Sneaky small IWB
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Carrying my Kiwi 4 today (funeral/light dress carry) and I'm wondering why I don't carry it more. It really isn't the best one handed opener but for a gent's knife it works great (well after I polished the scales it does).
~David
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Evil D wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:24 pm
Carrying my Kiwi 4 today (funeral/light dress carry) and I'm wondering why I don't carry it more. It really isn't the best one handed opener but for a gent's knife it works great (well after I polished the scales it does).
Don’t carry it enough you say?

Seems like you should maybe sell it to a handsome retired soldier.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I could sell all of my knives, save three.
Listed in order of importance.

1. S110V Paramilitary 2, the end all be all of solo carry.

2. S110V Native 5, better blade shape than PM2 and easiest carry.

3. Dodo SE, best as my work EDC. SLAYS the competition in that category.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:16 pm

They really need to do a Sprint run of the Dodo :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:29 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:16 pm

They really need to do a Sprint run of the Dodo :D
Yes, yes they do. In S110V SE.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

PM 2 in S110 V, Spydiechef, Chapparal in Raffir Noble. DF 2 in ZDP 189. Hard use knives, one rust proof, a gent’s knife and a lightweight slicer. I don’t think I could narrow it down that much though.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

I try to only keep users in my collection. When considering a new purchase, I compare it against which knife it would replace. If there's no real advantage to the new model, I don't buy it. I don't like spending my time at work to earn money to sink into things that sit in a box in my house and offer me no utility.

If I paired down my collection to the essentials, it'd be:

Pacific Salt SE (EDC)
Pacific Salt PE (PE EDC)
Swick (FB EDC)
Aqua Salt (Camping/hiking FB)

I'd only carry one at a time.

Everything else is fluff for me.
:unicorn
tjsblade

Post by tjsblade »

My three keepers.
Manix S30V hollow grind for work bench heavy use.
Para 3 Maxamet for edc.
Chaparral S30V for dress occasions.

The other 5 or so I usually have are "extras" .
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

If I was limited to one knife period it would probably be my Dice. It's big enough in grip for medium duty use, but it's short enough in blade to be legal most places. It's dressy but still durable. I can open it in the conventional manner, or spyder-flick it, or use the flipper tab. The Dice's jack of all trades abilities would have it barely edging out my Spydiechef as an only folder.

If I got to keep three folders though, the Dice probably wouldn't make the cut though. With three I'd take my ZT 0562CF for a true full size folder with excellent steel and excellent ball bearing pivot flipper opening. Second, I'd keep my Spydiechef because it's nearly corrosion proof, it's simple, it's thin and light to carry, and it sharpens easily. My BHQ exclusive blue G10 CRKT Vox Pilar would replace the Dice as the small knife supplement to the previous two. The Pilar is smaller and lighter, so easier to carry than the Dice. Despite that it gives up little in blade length, cutting edge, or ergos to the Dice. With the premium materials on the other two, the Pilar's base level materials are less of a concern. Give me a a fourth slot and the Dice is back in.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I'd be quite happy with just an Endura and a Sharpmaker including the Diamond rods.

For a work knife, I find the Military is the most comfortable in hand and is available in many of the better steels.

A Spyderhawk and Para2 would be a couple of other models I'd keep around.