Actual users

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: Actual users

Post by Sumdumguy »

Bloke wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:36 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:16 pm
When we moved to Idaho, my wife (she's a doctor) had the nurses at the hospital trying to show off their carry pistols to her.
Tom, do nurses shoot unruly patients in the US? :eek:
No, but they'll cut you if you eyeball em' wrong.

Well my wife will. :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

Techno and Spydiechef.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Bloke wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:36 pm
TomAiello wrote:
When we moved to Idaho, my wife (she's a doctor) had the nurses at the hospital trying to show off their carry pistols to her.
Tom, do nurses shoot unruly patients in the US? :eek:
Only with hypodermic needles. :)
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

I’ve worked in Tennessee and Oregon so very close to Georgia and Idaho respectively. Just seems to be the tone of people I’ve encountered, especially Spydercos, they’re scared of what they don’t understand. Other than that ER doc I mentioned, I can’t recall ever seeing another knife at work; lots of trauma scissors though.
TomAiello wrote:
tvenuto wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 1:56 pm
@Hops

It’s so interesting to me that in a profession where people are almost fascinated by blood and guts, not to mention surrounded by tools to disassemble the human body, that there is such an aversion to edged tools. I can assure you that your experience isn’t an isolated one, i’ve heard many in healthcare relate similar stories.
Where are you guys located?

When we moved to Idaho, my wife (she's a doctor) had the nurses at the hospital trying to show off their carry pistols to her. She said the difference between Georgia (where she's from) and Idaho (where we are now) was "in the South, every boy has a gun...in Idaho, _everyone_ has a gun."

I don't think I've ever heard a story from her about anyone in healthcare here being averse to edged tools.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

tvenuto wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 1:56 pm
@Hops

It’s so interesting to me that in a profession where people are almost fascinated by blood and guts, not to mention surrounded by tools to disassemble the human body, that there is such an aversion to edged tools. I can assure you that your experience isn’t an isolated one, i’ve heard many in healthcare relate similar stories. And there always seems to be so many things to cut, packages to open, etc!
Having seen my fair share of stab wounds, I actually kind of “get” the squeamish reactions to knives. Experiencing people in shock with their body forever disfigured in a brief moment makes for some of the most searing memories of my career. It’s typically kitchen knives though that do the damage, not folders. I’ll share one very graphic story...girl showed up to the ER, driven by her friends, very pretty and in her early 20’s, had HUGE lacerations to the bone on both thighs, her abdomen, hands, arms, but somehow had avoided taking one to the face. Just looked like hunks of meat hanging where there were multiple wounds close together, and yes, her bones were easily visible. We patched her up quickly, placed her on a ventilator, and sent her to the OR for extensive reconstruction of complete muscle lacerations. Apparently she had got into it with a girl at a club who was a cook and had just had her chef’s knife professionally sharpened that she was carrying in her purse, over a guy. Can you imagine? A 9” razor sharp Victorinox swinging at you because some jealous chick. As they say, nothing good happens after 2am. I was fairly uncomfortable even pulling out my Ladybug around the nurses I was working with that night.

At the patient care level, i.e. bedside healing, there’s actually very few edged tools. You’ll see the occasional scalpel with central line placement and the like, but usually it’s a single cut made an inch or less in length before the scalpel is immediately discarded. Even the ER doesn’t have much flesh cutting; all I can come up with on the top of my head, aside from line placement, would be abscess drainage, and that’s usually a hole gouged out with blunt objects like fingers after the initial cut. I’ve always thought that could be done more efficiently with edged instruments, but it’s just not common practice. Move into the operating room and that’s a different matter, but frequently the patients are sedated and everyone is covered in a sterilize gown. No personal items are accessible in the OR.

Knive culture is a funny thing, it’s nowhere near mainstream. “Polite” society has very little need for high quality edged tools in our pockets. Once you get one in hand and use it though they become fairly indispensable. Still, good luck convincing a NKP a Ladybug is “worth” the cost when compared to a $10 pair of scissors.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Ha yea. “I don’t like knives.” [Folds open scissors and holds them grasping one edge]

Interesting story on how the experiences in the fragility of humans can affect you. Thanks for relating that.
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Easy.

PM2
SAK cadet
CRK sebenza 21
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

As an update post, after a few days of using my new cruwear pm2, this knife is permanently in my rotation. Toughness and corrosion resistance are very important to me and I'm finally beginning to understand why so many of you are cruwear nuts :D

So it's now:

s110v Military
204p Military
CruWear Paramilitary 2

One day in a perfect world:
DLC Maxamet Military or Shaman
CruWear CQI Military or Shaman (fine with either in titanium as well).
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:51 pm
I’ve worked in Tennessee and Oregon so very close to Georgia and Idaho respectively. Just seems to be the tone of people I’ve encountered, especially Spydercos, they’re scared of what they don’t understand. Other than that ER doc I mentioned, I can’t recall ever seeing another knife at work; lots of trauma scissors though.
Which part of Oregon?

Oregon has two very different cultures. There's southern/eastern Oregon, which is very much "mountain west" and then there's Portland.

FWIW, my wife carries her Ladybug everywhere, which includes work in hospitals.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Ha! You already know it, Portland. Once passed a kid and his dad out on a trail, they appeared to be from Portland and had .22’s for squirrel hunting. The kid apologized to me for carrying a gun and I just laughed, “this is an open carry state, no need to apologize!” The dad looked grateful as I’m sure he had a **** of a time convincing his son it was okay.
TomAiello wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:57 am
Hopsbreath wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:51 pm
Which part of Oregon?

Oregon has two very different cultures. There's southern/eastern Oregon, which is very much "mountain west" and then there's Portland.

FWIW, my wife carries her Ladybug everywhere, which includes work in hospitals.
vivi

Post by vivi »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:41 pm
Vivi wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:31 pm
If I paired down my collection to the essentials, it'd be:

Pacific Salt SE (EDC)
Pacific Salt PE (PE EDC)
Swick (FB EDC)
Aqua Salt (Camping/hiking FB)

I'd only carry one at a time.

Everything else is fluff for me.
H1 is great stuff.
I carry a 'salt' knife pretty much every day. My only ask would be a few more FRN colors besides yellow and black.
It's either a Pacific Salt or Large Voyager for me these days. I love simple FRN lockbacks in quick to sharpen steels. Both are easy to get hair popping sharp on my UF bench stone I keep on my dresser.
:unicorn
DVC

Post by DVC »

Military+PM2 CTS-204P
Don W

Post by Don W »

Manix 2 x30V and a tasman salt