Cru-Wear for a standard production model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knivesandbooks

Cru-Wear for a standard production model

Post by knivesandbooks »

Pardon me if this has previously been addressed. I just purchased the KC Exclusive smooth g10 and Cru-Wear PM2. While I haven't tried Cru-Wear before, my favorite steels are k390 and m4, so I will surely be pleased. I've missed my chance trying Cru-Wear in the past because I've missed the sprints. I'm wondering why at least one model from Spyderco cannot be made with this steel full time. There's three reasons why I wonder this. First, Spyderco has one model, and only one model, in k390. To me this means that it can't be such a hardship to have just one knife in a specific steel. Second, Boker just released a stag-handled lockback traditional model in Cru-Wear that is not a limited knife. Third, Cru-Wear seems to be very popular among knife guys and gals.

Any knowledge on this would be appreciated. I'm in no way dissatisfied by current offerings and s30v, vg10, and 1095 gladly make up the bulk of my collection.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
koenigsegg

Re: Cru-Wear for a standard production model

Post by koenigsegg »

M4 would be the most produced tool steel they use I believe. They are stopping using it future releases for stainless steel. Doesn't seem likely imo though I thought the same thing because I also missed it. Have been kicking myself for like 2 years for missing that Grey PM3 in Cruwear now they go for double what they cost new.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Has been adressed before but should be said again. Should definitely be some affordable production Cruwear available! :D
With the option of US steels going to Japan being available there should at least be an Japanese 'FRN family' sprint in Cruwear!!
Would also really like a Manix2 LW in Cruwear, am sure it would sell enough for regular production.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

M4 may be more abundant but cruwear seems like it would be more user-friendly from a practical standpoint. More corrosion resistance and ease of sharpening is through the roof.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I totally support the idea. I have said before that I think the Shaman could have been a great platform for a regular production model in Cruwear.

I do think that there is hope and here is why. Traditionally Spyderco’s in house designs used stainless steels because that best suits a wider market. Many of the non stainless Spydies have seen collaborations where the designer chose the steel like the K2 or Bradley folders. More recently we have seen the K390 Police4, the M4 Mantras and the Maxamet knives. Considering Cruwear is noticeably more corrosion resistant than those I don’t see why we can’t see it used in a regular production in house design.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Agreed, i would love to see Cruwear as an option for all Golden Made models. Both the G10 and lightweight variants of them as well. And if they can indeed make Japanese models in Cruwear as one poster said, some of those would be great. I would love it in a Dragonfly 2! I can't get enough DF2 variations!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 5:58 am
I totally support the idea. I have said before that I think the Shaman could have been a great platform for a regular production model in Cruwear.

I do think that there is hope and here is why. Traditionally Spyderco’s in house designs used stainless steels because that best suits a wider market. Many of the non stainless Spydies have seen collaborations where the designer chose the steel like the K2 or Bradley folders. More recently we have seen the K390 Police4, the M4 Mantras and the Maxamet knives. Considering Cruwear is noticeably more corrosion resistant than those I don’t see why we can’t see it used in a regular production in house design.
I agree, the Shaman isn't a slicer and can use a steel like CRUWEAR to synergize it's strength.

a hard use folder.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
FDE

Post by FDE »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 8:52 am
Agreed, i would love to see Cruwear as an option for all Golden Made models. Both the G10 and lightweight variants of them as well. And if they can indeed make Japanese models in Cruwear as one poster said, some of those would be great. I would love it in a Dragonfly 2! I can't get enough DF2 variations!
This +1. I've been carrying a Para 3 Cruwear daily since they were released, and I'm here to say corrosion isn't an issue with the steel for the normal user. Cruwear needs to become Spydercos new S30V.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

FDE wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:36 pm
....I've been carrying a Para 3 Cruwear daily since they were released, and I'm here to say corrosion isn't an issue with the steel for the normal user. Cruwear needs to become Spydercos new S30V.
I haven't experienced any corrosion issues (or even light staining) on my Cruwear models either. But you have to consider that, because Cruwear isn't specifically categorized as being stainless, a lot of potential buyers who aren't knife afi's would likely shy away from purchasing a model that doesn't have a stainless steel blade. You also have to consider price. If using Cruwear increases the price of all these models that now use S30V then that might effect sales in a negative way.

I really like cruwear and I'd definitely like to see it used in more models but I don't see it replacing S30V as the base steel.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’m in for some Cruwear regular production. I would definitely buy another Millie with it. I kick myself every day darn near for selling my Cruwear Millie. I think the steel really doesn’t shine until it’s in a larger folder but that is just my opinion.
Josh
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I think Cru-Wear does a good job covering all the bases, even if it's not tops at anything. If you've got one of these types of diagrams, but with steel attributes at the corners, the shaded area is big:

Has anybody seen graphs like these for knife steels, BTW?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I could easily jump on this bandwagon. But I would go for CTS PD1 instead of Cruwear.

I wonder though if it makes sense from Spyderco's point of view. In particular, I wonder what percentage of sales comes from total steel nerds and knife AFI's like people on this forum. What if we are 5 percent of their sales and they need to consider what a shift to Cruwear would do with regard to the satisfaction of the "less informed" other 95 percent (if that is what it is). Maybe anything that isn't totally stainless would bring an unacceptable number of complaints due to corrosion, whereas folks like us "understand" what the risks and tradeoffs are. I just dunno.

But that isn't my problem, is it? So from the seat I am in, yes indeed -- I think the concept of a "well balanced" steel like Cruwear would be a wonderful thing to be generally available in a production knife. I am particularly fond of a steel that someone like myself can sharpen to an amazing edge. My view towards knives is that if they aren't sharp (and I mean really sharp), the heck with them. At this point the two steels that are eager to give this to me seem to be 52100 and Cruwear, so I give them a special gold star.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Yeah, I'm thinking that Spyderco has turned Cruwear into a well known fast selling steel option. In effect it has created a brand whether they were trying to or not. PD#1 has a certain draw now but Cruwear is much more well known at this time and will get accepted by larger numbers even though they are for our purposes same performance wise. I'd have no hesitation betting on Cruwears success on the larger market. It's still an AFI steel but that will change with availability IMO.

Joe
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

dj moonbat wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 9:26 pm
I think Cru-Wear does a good job covering all the bases, even if it's not tops at anything. If you've got one of these types of diagrams, but with steel attributes at the corners, the shaded area is big:

Has anybody seen graphs like these for knife steels, BTW?
I haven't, but I do work with data a lot and like the possibilities in that kind of visualization. The simplicity in conveying a message this way is appealing, and I might have liked some graphs like this when I was first trying to digest the hardness/toughness/stainlessness of various steels and what they might mean for me.

I also think it might be difficult to decide on a group of attributes; and equally challenging if there are additional subjective characteristics. But people here generally follow Sal's lead and play nicely...
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

i totally got distracted by the pretty picture. Oops.

I am really liking cruwear so far. It seems kind of fine-grained, if that makes any sense - and seems plenty stainless so far, at least to me...