C-60 Ayoob model: It's Way Past Time For An Upgrade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

C-60 Ayoob model: It's Way Past Time For An Upgrade

Post by JD Spydo »

OK I know I'm not the only guy here who dearly loves the C-60 Ayoob model and regards it as one of the all time best Spyders ever. And it's one of the very few Spyders that I loved it equally with an SE or PE blade>> yeah the knife was just that well designed. But it's even way past time for another Sprint Run of this "Ultra-Classic" model and with all these new resources now available to us like a wide array of newer/better super blade steels, new handle materials and maybe even consider another locking system to give this "Ultra-Classic" a serious new look all together.

Now with the Ayoob being one of the great Japan made Spyders it might be fitting to bring it back with one of Japan's newer/better blade steels? Although you would not see me object to having one made at the GOLDEN, CO plant. Even though I dearly loved the G-10 handle on the most recent C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run ( 2011) I would be all for something even having a bit more grip/purchase>> or I could be totally content with the G-10 handle. But a new blade steel is way overdue for the C-60 Ayoob model.

There are so many new guys and gals here that have not got to experience the C-60 Ayoob model that it just would not be fair for them not to have an opportunity to own the most ergonomic folder Spyderco ever made IMO. OK I know I'm not the only one here who dearly misses the C-60 Ayoob model so lets talk this over.
Evil D

Re: C-60 Ayoob model: It's Way Past Time For An Upgrade

Post by Evil D »

I'm in.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:22 am
I'm in.
Oh I figured you would be in for a C-60 Sprint Run ;) because you were one of many of the latecomers that sort of missed the boat on the first two runs they did. Okay do you agree with me that it would be good timing for them to do a Sprint Run with either a Japanese or any other newer/better blade steel. I would ask for M390 but I just know in my gut that can't happen for various reasons. But even Japan's HAP 40 would be superb in my humble opinion for that particular blade style>>and what potential it might have in Spyderedge would be colossal :cool:

I'm even open to suggestions on handle material although I could cave in and use the same G-10 they did on the previous C-60 Sprint. I've even thought it would be a great model for another handle color if everyone else would like it. But it would need a new blade steel this go-around for sure to do it justice. I've waited so long for Mr. Massad Ayoob himself to come up with another model with Spyderco and if it isn't going to happen anytime soon then I for sure want another C-60. I've also wondered what a black blade might look like with that model.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

How do you feel about a Lil' Ayoob? I like the negative blade angle, lock, and overall design... but it looks a little big for me.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Foolish Mortal

Post by Foolish Mortal »

I'd get one just because I admire Massad Ayoob.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:45 pm
How do you feel about a Lil' Ayoob? I like the negative blade angle, lock, and overall design... but it looks a little big for me.
Oh I've gone on record saying that I would love a scaled down version of the C-60 Ayoob model on at least two occasions. There are also models I would love to see bigger versions of too and the one that tops my list in that category would be a bigger Dodo model.

It's been a while but I also said at one point that I would also love to see a fixed blade version of the C-60 Ayoob model as well.

A smaller version of the C-60 Ayoob would be an ergonomic dream no doubt. Even at full size it's got a very versatile blade design but a smaller one would be really handy IMO.
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

I would take one in the original size or a scaled down version.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've always thought it would make a great addition to the Salt family. Give it a SE H1 blade and FRN handle.
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm a fan of Ayoob (the man, not the knife), so I'd buy it just for that. :)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:34 pm
I've always thought it would make a great addition to the Salt family. Give it a SE H1 blade and FRN handle.
You remember when Sal was asking what we wanted next in a Salt and I proposed this very thing. Sal was all ready to do it and commented it would be easy but Gringo and a few others had bigger aspirations and the Caribbean was born.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:43 pm
Out of curiosity, why? There are trainers who have long passed him and he was always really worried about the leagalities that it felt like those worries smothered the tactical message. Like "plan on going to jail" to the point that it was overthinking
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 5:21 pm
Evil D wrote:
You remember when Sal was asking what we wanted next in a Salt and I proposed this very thing. Sal was all ready to do it and commented it would be easy but Gringo and a few others had bigger aspirations and the Caribbean was born.

I don't remember that, but I can't be all sad since the Caribbean is shaping up to be a great knife. I'd still like to see a Ayoob Salt. I think at this point I've fallen way down the SE/H1 rabbit hole.
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 5:23 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:43 pm
Out of curiosity, why? There are trainers who have long passed him and he was always really worried about the leagalities that it felt like those worries smothered the tactical message. Like "plan on going to jail" to the point that it was overthinking
Because he was willing to take a lot of time to give (free) advice to several people I know (including me). Not because he was getting paid, but just because someone asked him.
markg

Post by markg »

I would be all over any Ayoob reboot or just reissue... One of my all time favorites.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
I wouldn't at all object to a Salt Version of the C-60 Ayoob. Albeit I would want both the PE & SE both in LC200N and not H-1 on that model.

But my first pick is to have a revamped C-60 in a newer/better blade steel and I'm wide open for suggestions on the blade steel.

I do have to admit that the C-60 Ayoob would look cool in yellow G-10 scales. But again my first pick would be a new Ayoob in a really top notch blade steel.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:
It reminds me of the catcherman.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:20 pm
Evil D wrote:
It reminds me of the catcherman.

Yeah I guess they are pretty similar. The magic of the Ayoob is the crazy blade angle. I normally wouldn't care for a blade shape that has so much belly, but the crazy negative blade angle manages to put the blade tip so low that it doesn't function the way a typical blade with lots of belly would function. It's a really interesting design that I think got overlooked just because it's weird looking. It's a great exercise in form following function.
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I like the blade angle a lot as well.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

markg wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:13 pm
I would be all over any Ayoob reboot or just reissue... One of my all time favorites.
Hey great to see you again "markg" :) I knew a thread on the C-60 Ayoob might just have a few of the old school Spyderville folks come out of the woodwork :D I wonder where our friend "Mark Greenman" has been? He's even a bigger Ayoob fan than I am :rolleyes:

Yeah I don't want to see this "Ultra-Classic" die out. The more I'm thinking about it I would not mind seeing a somewhat thicker handle on a new Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob model. So with that being said anyone who has any ideas about possible improvements or modifications I would love to hear them.
levs18

Post by levs18 »

I would absolutely be down for an updated Ayoob. In addition to a sprint of the classic with an upgraded steel, I think a salt version in FRN and LC200n would be amazing. I know the tooling/molding for FRN is pricey and might be a deal breaker for a low volume model, but a leight weight and slim Ayoob would be an incredible edc. Since i’m dreaming anyway, please add a wave to it as well.