Ebay

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RickC27

Ebay

Post by RickC27 »

I just recently started browsing around on Ebay, bored at work. I'm honestly very shocked at some of the prices people are asking or, or people are bidding, for knives that aren't even sprint runs. Some knives are exclusives, but are currently in stock through the distributors and people are bidding WAAYYYYYY over the price of what you could get them for straight from the website. Instead taking the chance of someone selling a particular knife dishonestly in terms of use or what have you. Am I missing something here, or are some people just unaware that you can get these knives cheaper and in, what I would think a safer way?
MichaelScott

Re: Ebay

Post by MichaelScott »

In the main, i’d say yes. But, eBay is an example of the market in action. The market, composed of millions of sellers and potential buyers, sets the price of an item.Too high and not many will sell. Too low (for a higher value product) and their prices will climb as sellers realize they aren’t making an acceptable profit. It’s kind of a long-run process that tends to stabilize over time.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I've never used Ebay for anything, so it was totally new to me. I just flabbergasted at seeing a knife that's bids are currently $40 over the price from a distributor and the auction doesn't end for another 2 days! I mean hey, good for the seller I guess if you can pull that off.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

I've been looking at/ for and buying the odd used Endura SE. I am stunned what some people pay for really well used / worn examples (like the serrations really worn down) including those with damaged tips.

Some only $20 less to almost the same price as a new Pacific Salt SE or current Endura!
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Yeah there must be people who have no idea that exclusives are still available from distributers for less than what they're willing to pay on ebay......

Another thing that always puzzles me is the RIDICULOUS buy it now prices all over ebay. I've always wondered how often those sellers get lucky and someone pays WAY over a realistic price for a knife.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

RickC27 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:11 am
I just recently started browsing around on Ebay, bored at work. I'm honestly very shocked at some of the prices people are asking or, or people are bidding, for knives that aren't even sprint runs. Some knives are exclusives, but are currently in stock through the distributors and people are bidding WAAYYYYYY over the price of what you could get them for straight from the website. Instead taking the chance of someone selling a particular knife dishonestly in terms of use or what have you. Am I missing something here, or are some people just unaware that you can get these knives cheaper and in, what I would think a safer way?
Some distributors don't ship to foreign countries, so eBay allows people from all over the world to purchase items that they couldn't get otherwise. I sell things (knives I no longer want included) here and there on eBay and I make use of their awesome Global Shipping program, and I would say half of the items I sell go to buyers overseas. Overseas buyer will pay more because that is the only way that can get that knife. Supply and demand, with the supply available to overseas buyers very small in comparison to the demand on these exclusives. For US buyers that are paying more it is probably a case of someone who isn't internet savvy and doesn't think to google the knife to see if it is still in stock. Or they have money in PayPal to burn, or the eBay coupons that come up frequently make the knife cheaper than going straight through the retailer, etc. Any number of reasons.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I'd imagine there's some mathematical formula for placing false bids that works in your group's favor, despite fees, if you sell enough to the irrationally exuberant.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sigh.
Last edited by Evil D on Thu May 17, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Not all who buy Spydercos are forum-informed.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

You can find some good deals on used Spydies if you look long enough. Stay away from common fake models like Military and PM2. You can usually tell when someone owned a knife, used it, etc from the pics. I got an assist for a great price on ebay. Same with a used mule
allhatnocattle

Post by allhatnocattle »

I Also have picked up several spydercos at good deals, sometimes people start their auctions too low or their title on the listing puts it into the wrong category. And some people just dont know what they have for one reason or another. As was previously stated watch out for the commonly faked models. And if an item looks too good to be true it probably is.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I just sold my m4 blade hq exclusive military for $150 and it was a factory second that had been sharpened, and the **** cat jumped in my lap while I was sharpening it and I scratched the blade. I was fully honest from the get-go. Typically that knife goes for $225 or more. eBay has enabled itself to invite (and have buyers becoming accepting of) inflated prices, as in the users do it to themselves. Supply and demand. Some prices are straight outrageous though.

I've seen the manix 2 xl s90v sprint for $499.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I've never seen a Spyderco auction close that wasn't regular street price or lower. Lots of auctions have ridiculous prices, but nobody is buying those.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

zhyla wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:21 pm
I've never seen a Spyderco auction close that wasn't regular street price or lower. Lots of auctions have ridiculous prices, but nobody is buying those.
Sprint runs and exclusives sell for more than retail all the time.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

zhyla wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:21 pm
I've been on ebay since 2001, you'd be surprised what happens on that site.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:20 pm
I just sold my m4 blade hq exclusive military for $150 and it was a factory second that had been sharpened, and the **** cat jumped in my lap while I was sharpening it and I scratched the blade. I was fully honest from the get-go. Typically that knife goes for $225 or more. eBay has enabled itself to invite (and have buyers becoming accepting of) inflated prices, as in the users do it to themselves. Supply and demand. Some prices are straight outrageous though.

I've seen the manix 2 xl s90v sprint for $499.
I almost jumped on that one, lol.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Just before PlayStation 3’s were released there was quite a bit of buzz they were going to sellout immediately, despite the $600 price tag. This was 2006, my wife and I were fresh college grads and flat broke. It just so happened we were off work for a couple days right around that release so we stopped in at the local middle-of-nowhere-Tennessee Walmart to see if they would be getting any machines. We found a line of ten people and were told there was 12 machines in stock going for sale in 20 hours at midnight; yes we visited at 4 am. We pulled up a couple bean bags to snag spots 11 and 12 in line. The store manager thought it was so funny, he bought pizzas and took a picture of us to hang in a collage for the store year in review. Midnight came and we bought two PS3’s on credit cards that we then sold on eBay 24 hours later for over $800 PROFIT! Paid off the cards and bought our first washer and dryer.

Some people just have more dollars than sense I suppose, I’ve made a little money on eBay and scored some good deals there too. Some knives I bought on closeout a few years back are apparently worth quite a bit more to certain people now although they never clicked with me. I sold them and bought knives more to my liking instead. Used knives are especially good deals and frequently are in very good shape aside from poorly sharpened edges. Be careful though, I have a rant thread up in the off-topic section about a recent bad experience. You’re still relying on an honest seller, and as my grandpa once told me, never trust a salesman.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:56 pm
I stay off there. Flippers make me sick.
I agree. I feel terrible for people paying $270 for a $160 knife. But as been stated, maybe they don't reside in the US, or are lucky enough that money isn't a big issue for them. I felt slightly angry while browsing honestly though at such jacked up prices. Though I did succumb and found a "new" (please be new) Centofante 3 for $60 and took my chances. Should be here Monday...first eBay purchase ever, definitely a little cautiously pessimistic.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I should have known better.
Last edited by Evil D on Thu May 17, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Evil D wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:02 pm
RickC27 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:01 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:56 pm
I stay off there. Flippers make me sick.
I agree. I feel terrible for people paying $270 for a $160 knife. But as been stated, maybe they don't reside in the US, or are lucky enough that money isn't a big issue for them. I felt slightly angry while browsing honestly though at such jacked up prices. Though I did succumb and found a "new" (please be new) Centofante 3 for $60 and took my chances. Should be here Monday...first eBay purchase ever, definitely a little cautiously pessimistic.
I understand things increase in value and such, I just have a problem with the people who buy them and immediately list them for a profit.
Coming from the greatest capitalist society, both your comments surprise me.

Every retail shop could be classed as flippers, they get stock in for say $10, immediately put it out in stock
and try and sell it for $20.

Some of these comments also don't take into account different circumstances around the world,
from people where it is cheaper to buy from the US at what seem inflated prices to you (or as someone
else pointed out above, they might not be available locally to them). In addition, where as $100-$200+ might
seem a lot to someone in the US earning minimum wage of ? $8 ? an hour, it's less than a days pay for people
in some other countries.

An item is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, which may be more than your prepared to pay.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.