Which Spyderco to Get a None Knife Person?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyderman91

Which Spyderco to Get a None Knife Person?

Post by Spyderman91 »

Good Evening Gents and Gals,

I have a question for the forum group,

So my father's birthday is coming up and I want to get him a Spyderco that he would really enjoy. The thing is he's not much of a knife guy, and when I ecstatically brought my Manix lw SV110 to show him, his response was "why do you need a knife that big" (reality, guess I don't but why not).

Also, last night when I whipped out my pm2 at the dinner table (my mother requested to cut some cord on a large Flower necklace) he quickly scoffed at the surgeon's scalpel.

I was thinking of getting him the Dragonfly2 Knifecenter exclusive because it is compact and classy, or gifting him my native 5 fluted titanium but I fear that may also be on the "big side". What do you all think, I'm definitely going to get him a portable ice maker but the knife would be more of a bonus.
TomAiello

Re: Which Spyderco to Get a None Knife Person?

Post by TomAiello »

Dragonfly. The pakkawood is classy enough for a gift, and the knife itself is useful and ergonomic enough to be good for anyone.
anycal

Post by anycal »

From my experience of giving a knife to a non-knife person, I bet the knife is still in the box where he put it away. I have never seen him carry it.

Depends on how non-knife a person he is. If a person never uses one, will cut something with scissors or a key instead, and expresses no enthusiasm or appreciation toward works of art like :spyder: (like you have experienced), it may be a lost cause.

One the other hand, if someone is always borrowing yours, uses knives on regular basis, and expresses some interest in your collection, that person is in a need of a gift.
Peter
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Pakkawood Dfly would be nice, an SE H1 Dragonfly would be more useful maybe (especially if he can't sharpen) tell him he can use it on food or in the kitchen and that it's rust proof and washable. I got my father a ZDP-189 Manbug for his Birthday (he doesn't carry it much). I got my mom a Hawkbill ladybug that she uses a lot.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

You can lead a horse to water...

EDIT TO ADD: Perhaps an unassuming Gent's would find a use, or a Manbug Salt. There is no clamshell it won't take down.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu May 17, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

H1 steel definitely crossed my mind because he has property in Hawaii, and last I was there a lot of the knives were rusted or pitted (they've been there quite some time).

I wish the Native 5 lc200n came out because I would get him that :( definitely thinking Salt 2 with yellow handle, or the salt h1 dragonfly 2 (if not the Knifecenter Exclusive).
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Your father seems like a person who values things that are practical and simple. I'd go with a Roadie. Remember your getting a knife that suits him not you, but I'm sure like most dads he will appreciate a gift from his son no matter what you decide.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
allhatnocattle

Post by allhatnocattle »

maybe a native 5 or delica. A basic lockback design in one of spyderco’s classic patterns. One that you wouldnt worry if they never use it or lost it.
Foolish Mortal

Post by Foolish Mortal »

Are you buying him a knife because he needs or wants one, or because you're a knife enthusiast?

My brother has a beard. I do not. My brother has all sorts of expensive, fragrant beard conditioners and other such things. If he bought me expensive beard oils and such that he uses, and then expected me to grow a beard to appreciate them, I would smile, thank him, and they would go to waste. I would have been better served, and he would have been more thoughtful, by buying me cheap razor blades.

...but it's the thought that counts, right?
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Buy him a gift card instead of a knife. A fancy knife would go to waste on him by the sounds of it, and a gift card is a nice way of giving someone a thing as a gift even when you don't know exactly what thing they'd like. If he decides that he wants a knife after all, he can spend the gift card to buy one, and you can recommend the Salt knives to him as a potential option.
Last edited by embry386 on Wed May 16, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Your dad sounds like mine. :)

I bought him a little Puma Four Star with genuine pearl scales about twenty years ago. He said it was nice, thanked me and put it back in the box. I’m tipping it’s not seen the light of day since. :rolleyes:

I buy him lottery packs for his Birthday, Father’s Day and Christmas. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I second the Roadie. It is unusual, great pocket carry and definitely not a big knife.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I think a Tatanka would be well received. :)
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Cold Steel all terrain chopper.

Lol, nah... I think that pakkawood dragonfly would be nice. I'd say delica but if he's scared of a manix, might want to go small.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
npad69

Post by npad69 »

based on my experiences, the non-knife people i have known has tendencies to use their knife in ways it is not supposed to be used (prying, opening cans, using the blade to drive screws, storing it dirty, losing it, etc) so what you need is a spydie which can do all those without being too expensive. this is why my suggestion is the clipitool standard
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The ZDP dragonfly converted my dad from being a "non-knife" person (never carried a knife, used cheap knives). He ended up with 2 ZDP Dragonflies (one for the shop and one to carry) and then a RN Chaparral (to carry, one Dragonfly is now his "house" knife, and the other is still in the shop).

So I'll vote for the Dragonfly again. :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Successful knives I have bought non-knife people are:

Wife: Dragonfly FRN. It is so light and easy to carry and fits in her small pockets.

Friends: Victorinox Classic SD. The knife is so small they feel as though they are not carrying a knife, plus it has a toothpick and tweezers, among other great tools.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

UK Penknife, Roadie, Manbug.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

The newest Dog tag knife, why not?
jacala

Post by jacala »

What about getting him a Spyderco Clipitool. Does he like a beer or three ?