Which Spyderco to Get a None Knife Person?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
markg

Re: Which Spyderco to Get a None Knife Person?

Post by markg »

I second those who question if he will use it.

I would go with a ManBug or LadyBug he can put on key chain. Make sure you put it on the key ring yourself and he might find himself using it.

As an aside, most non-knife people don't get that you can't take them everywhere. I wish I could count the times I sat in the car taking a knife off my key ring know in I would go through a medal detector. He might just decide to junk it and not walk back to the car...
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

I like your H1 idea; since you're getting him an ice maker, he may use the H1 blade to chip the ice build up...
SG89

Post by SG89 »

My dad has always used cheapo knives and never cared much about knives in general. Last Christmas I gave him the black frn vg10 DF2 and he has carried it every day since and absolutely loves it. When I ask him if he really does like it or if he just carries it bc I gave it to him he swears he likes it for these reasons: he likes the wire clip, that it's lightweight, it's small, grippy, the choil, it's sharp, and cuts whatever he needs to be cut.
Start the non-knife people out small and simple with a DF2 and watch the appreciation and addiction grow
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wait for the stainless Kopa. Nice and shine ....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Jefft51

Post by Jefft51 »

I'd definitely go for something with H1 or LC200n as he has rusty knives. A never rust knife would be very compelling. As a non knife person probably isn't going to spend much time taking care of them.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Chaparral. Small and classy.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

another vote for either the Clipitool or the DF2 Salt
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:13 pm
Dragonfly. The pakkawood is classy enough for a gift, and the knife itself is useful and ergonomic enough to be good for anyone.
I tend to agree with Tom on the Dragonfly selection for conservative size and being sheeple friendly but with a guy who is used to working with tools I've found the Native to be a nice selection.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I believe your heart is in the right place, but you being an knife enthusiast may be clouding your judgement. If your father tends to scoff anytime you pull out a knife, granted the Manix and PM2 are both on the larger "scary" side, Makes me think a knife would end up sitting around unused. Has he ever carried any kind of knife, even some cheap old school traditional style? If you honestly think it may be something he would use, I will agree with the masses here...Roadie, Dragonfly or Chaparral frn. All 3 are nice, small folders and won't break the bank.
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

maybe my judgement is blurred by knives like the military, manix or lionspy - i wouldn’t consider a para a big n scary blade - but a lot of my non knife peers sure do!

so my suggestion would be a dragonfly or maybe a delica and even the native5 would be an option!

for me a delica is the smalles knife i use on a regular basis - maybe also the urban is an idea?
i really like the ergonomics but the blade is rather small - so maybe that model would be considered as non scary
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There are non knife people, as in the person who has never and will likely never carry a knife. Those people I don't bother with. In fact if I've never seen them carrying a pocket knife I don't bother.

Then there are non knife people who may carry a knife but aren't doing so for the hobby reasons that many of us do, the types who turn their nose up at anything that cost more than $20 and can't understand why anyone would waste their money on a $100+ pocket knife. Those types I start out really cheap with, maybe get them a value line knife. It depends on the type of person, if they seem like the type that appreciates a quality tool and will take care of it then I may step it up. I got my brother in law a Delica and he carries it everywhere. My best friend is carrying a SE Salt 2 DLC I got him and the other day he sent me a pic of it after cutting a pop can in half with it, covered in scratches (or maybe rub marks). He couldn't believe it cut through the can but didn't expect it to scratch up either.

What you might need to consider is, depending on who you're giving it to and how close you are, is what kind of knife/steel do YOU want to sharpen later when they being you the knife back?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

H1 Dragonfly 2. Small, light, cool design, stainless, not really intimidating to other non-knife people who may see him with it. Made in Japan, inexpensive, high quality, etc., etc. Can't miss!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is another reason I want to see the Dodo model return on a permanent basis. Because no matter what I've ever used any of my Dodo models for or no matter where I've used one in public I've never had any negative comment on that model at all. The more I think about it I think the Dodo might just be the most sheeple friendly knife out there..

and the funny thing about it is I can't really tell you all why that is. But it is one model I've had and used in public many, many times and never once got any disparaging comment or drew any paranoia from any Ultra-liberal that might be in the crowd. One lady about 5 years ago I was working with couldn't even believe it was a pocketknife>> she even said it was "cute" :rolleyes:

From a pragmatic use standpoint I'll stick with my first pick of the Dragonfly and for hard workers the Native. But the more I think it over the Dodo is the ultimate winner for a "none-knife" person IMO.
Okan_7

Post by Okan_7 »

i have both a Roadie and a Dragonfly 2 and would definitely say either would be a good pick. My dad loved my Dragonfly so much he bought one and (don't tell him) he will be getting a Roadie for Father's Day, because every time I pull it out he always comments on it and seems to like it cause it's similar to the slipjoints he grew up with but a little more modern. (Loves the choil on it)

All that aside, maybe a Chaparral LW and if he likes it you could update it later with a nice wood scales or something like that
Previously OkanSeven

17 :spyder: and growing!!
fdahood

Post by fdahood »

I would vote either a chaparral, or a Delica or Dragonfly in nicer scales. Something small, with an older style locking mechanism, that feels high quality both as an item and as a knife.