Premium delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rorshah

Premium delica?

Post by rorshah »

I was wondering why to this day there is no such delica? I would love one made of premium steel and handles. Something similar to Native 5 C41CFFP5 - carbon fiber + nice stainless steel. M390/20CV + carbon fiber scales, with no extra metal liners would be awesome. I would buy 2 right away ;) What do you think guys?
polyhexamethyl

Re: Premium delica?

Post by polyhexamethyl »

there was the damascus version in titanium and jigged bone

i think the delica is rather a worker and not a show piece.

if you want a premium delica check out the mantra 1 ;)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Rorshah,

Welcome to our forum.

We've built quite a few premium Delica models over the 28 years we've been making them.

sal
Username827

Post by Username827 »

While it is not a stainless blade, the Knifecenter Pakkawood Delica is quite impressive. It has Hap40 steel and these awesome scales/liners. Not quite titanium/m390, but I am quite fond of it!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

There's also the titanium/damascus Delica

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

ZDP-189 is pretty premium, in my opinion.
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

I'd love to see some Delica sprints from Golden or Taichung, potentially non-FRN. A high-end steel (M390? M4? Damasteel?) and maybe some very nice handle materials (Micarta? CF?), coupled with the higher-end F&F and better value that those factories provide, seems like a winner.

The Pakkawood Delica has sort of reduced the immediacy of my need there as it's a very nice sprint, and the XHP on the FRN Chappie means that I've got non-VG-10 options in a similar FRN form factor, but my heart will always be close to the Delica, so I'd love to see that model getting the high end love it deserves.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

NickShabazz wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:44 am
I'd love to see some Delica sprints from Golden or Taichung, potentially non-FRN. A high-end steel (M390? M4? Damasteel?) and maybe some very nice handle materials (Micarta? CF?), coupled with the higher-end F&F and better value that those factories provide, seems like a winner.

The Pakkawood Delica has sort of reduced the immediacy of my need there as it's a very nice sprint, and the XHP on the FRN Chappie means that I've got non-VG-10 options in a similar FRN form factor, but my heart will always be close to the Delica, so I'd love to see that model getting the high end love it deserves.
You sure love that grey Delica of yours! Very rarely does it not make an appearance in your videos.
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

RickC27 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:48 am
You sure love that grey Delica of yours! Very rarely does it not make an appearance in your videos.
Yep. He's a Gem. The Delica 4 is (and remains) one of the very best everyday carry designs out there, which is why it's my token size comparison, and a solid functional comparison too, particularly for carryability. I think the recent price hikes, particularly for the Japanese FRN models, make the FRN/VG-10 version struggle a bit more to compete, particularly with the FRN/XHP Chapparal only a few bucks more, but it's still a great knife.

That said, I am deeply hoping for a Delica 5 which hits a nicer price point, or has the materials/F&F upgraded to match the price, and which will restore order to the Force. Particularly if shifted to Golden, for better value and easier sprints...
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Nick,

Although we have changed makers on some models, it is something we rarely do, and there has to be a very good reason. The Delica is a very popular model and the maker has been making the model since 1990. Has to do with loyalty, giri, etc.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The delica4 has come in Titanium/Damascus, jigged bone/Damascus, g10/vg10, pakkawood/hap40 and a super nice 40th anniversary model. I know there was an older carbon fiber Delica as well. There have been a few premium variations.

I personally really like my Pakkawood Delica.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Given that the Delica has evolved to its present excellent incarnation I can see little reason for major changes in design or manufacturing. CQI, but otherwise leave it be.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I'm with Darby, my Pakkawood Delica is amazing. Also lucked out with gorgeous grain/color scales on both sides. I don't have any other model Delica, but feel like none of the others can compare to this. It's beautiful and classy, but gets right down to business when needed.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

For me a “premium Delica” would be Delica with an improved backlock.... I am so frustrated when my Delicas develop vertical blade play in time and I never abuse or even hard use my folders. Why not implement a Chaparral-like backlock ? It’s a mistery to me ...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Marius,

Different makers have their ways of doing things and are difficult to change. It took us years to get the Seki makers to use non Japanese steels.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:13 am
For me a “premium Delica” would be Delica with an improved backlock.... I am so frustrated when my Delicas develop vertical blade play in time and I never abuse or even hard use my folders. Why not implement a Chaparral-like backlock ? It’s a mistery to me ...
This is really the only thing I would like to see: improve the lock. It is very strong now, but the lock rock could be removed with the current technology found in either the Chaparral or the Native 5. I am a huge Delica fan so anything I want will only be to make the current design better.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:33 am
Hi Marius,

Different makers have their ways of doing things and are difficult to change. It took us years to get the Seki makers to use non Japanese steels.

sal
I understand that. I’m just saying that this iconic, most loved and appreciated(for good reasons) folder deserves the best. That being said, I love all my 30+ Delicas and I shall keep buying them :)
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
FK

Post by FK »

I have a Delica4 in daily use for three years,,, not a hint of lock rock.
None of my 20+ Delica4 knives have exhibited any lock rock.

The only Spyderco in my experience that had the dreaded lock rock was the early C41 Native with purple FRN scales, the 2009 forum model,,,, I went through 3 of them and all had problems,,,, gave up and sold off at a loss.

Regards,
FK
Member since Feb 17, 2001
Last edited by FK on Sat May 19, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username827

Post by Username827 »

FK wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:27 pm
I have a Delica4 in daily use for three years,,, not a hint of rock lock.
None of my 20+ Delica4 knives have exhibited any rock lock.

The only Spyderco in my experience that had the dreaded rock lock was the early C41 Native with purple FRN scales, the 2009 forum model,,,, I went through 3 of them and all had problems,,,, gave up and sold off at a loss.

Regards,
FK
Hey FK,
Just for curiosity, do you carry the same Delica every day or do you rotate?
FK

Post by FK »

Carry everyday in upper left shirt pocket,, easier to deploy when sitting.
Same Delica4 in ZDP-189.

I have some Delica/Endura knives from the early 1990's that are tight as new, no lock problems, they have more hard use than any other Spyderco knives I have owned.

Also rotate PM2 models in soft nylon pouch on belt.

Regards,
FK