Canadian UKPK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hey-you

Re: Canadian UKPK

Post by Hey-you »

Cheers!

If the para 2 is a sweet spot with users, then okay that sounds like a good length. You would have the data (from sales?) I expect. I know my opinion doesn’t always match the middle of the distribution.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am so glad to see all the Canadian Spyderco knife enthusiasts here. Welcome to the forum all new people.

I'll put my input on this: I would be all for a LC200N UKPK Slip Joint Folder with a 3.5 inch blade.

sal and others: Please tell me about the new development in German knife laws that you mentioned above; am I correct in that they now can carry knives with blades 3.5 inch and over or what is the change?
sal

Post by sal »

As I understand, No one hand open locking folders. No knives over 4" in blade length. If I am not correct, perhaps one of our German forumites can explain.

sal
skeletor

Post by skeletor »

sal wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:46 pm
As I understand, No one hand open locking folders. No knives over 4" in blade length. If I am not correct, perhaps one of our German forumites can explain.

sal
Hello sal,

the blade length limit in Germany only concerns fixed blades, it is 12cm (4,72"). For folders the shall not be one-hand-openers AND locking: only restricted, if both features are fulfilled. As far as I know (and I watch knife legislation very carefully), there are no changes planned.

And of course for German Spyderco fans another version of the UKPK or a different SlipIt would be much appreciated, because they are compliant to the German laws!!! :spyder:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

What about a 2 hand opener that locks?
- best wishes, Jazz.
sal

Post by sal »

HI Skeletor, Jazz,

Thanx for the clarification.

FYI, We're working on a THO (two hand opener) for Germany and considering another larger Slipit.

sal
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Not my discussion at all so please forgive my intrusion, but what about a "giant" Roadie? I don't know what it would take to alter it to have the stiff spring like the UKPK but the platform seems to check a lot of the boxes here and it is a great design.
Foolish Mortal

Post by Foolish Mortal »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:52 pm
sal wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:02 am
The fear of flickable knives in Canada, as I understand, is based on someone's ability to conceal a knife in a closed hand, get close to a Police Officer (or other innocent) and instantly produce a deadly force that was not visible and cause harm or kill someone.

sal
You may be correct. As we know, rational considerations will conclude that the tool is merely the means, the intent and willingness to act on it is the problem. And we also know that, unless vigorously opposed, politicians will always opt for the easy and most newsworthy response to evil acts. Some sort of personal response by Canadians is needed to combat such moronic rules that accomplish little. Write, call, email, join.
This sounds like a post by someone who has experienced such attitudes first hand, sadly.
Last edited by Foolish Mortal on Tue May 22, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
skeletor

Post by skeletor »

sal wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:22 am
HI Skeletor, Jazz,

Thanx for the clarification.

FYI, We're working on a THO (two hand opener) for Germany and considering another larger Slipit.

sal
Those are indeed wonderful news! Thank you very much, sal! :)
Ric

Post by Ric »

Same Boker knives have 42a variants for Germany.
Standard model have a thumb stud or flipper tab plus liner lock, 42a variants only a nail nick plus lock.

So a ladybug or dragonfly are illegal - beside size they are one hand open AND lock therefore illegal.

If you have a legal knife 12cm 2hand open at a Christmas market you might also get in trouble.

Blades longer 12cm should better be in locked containers.

Beside that there are more illegal knives.
Doubleside blades, Balisong, OTF, ...
Hailon

Post by Hailon »

I would love a G10 UKPK i just cant get into the frn handle stuff other than the salt/delica handles.

M4 jade UKPK!!! lol

Imagine that!
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Slipjoint Native? Nice size, finger choil for safety, should just be a small tweak to switch out lockback for non locking spring no?
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
skeletor

Post by skeletor »

Ric wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:27 am

If you have a legal knife 12cm 2hand open at a Christmas market you might also get in trouble.

Blades longer 12cm should better be in locked containers.

Beside that there are more illegal knives.
Doubleside blades, Balisong, OTF, ...
Please! do not cause confusion. 12 cm/4,72“ ONLY affects fixed blades, not folders. And back to topic, please...
sal

Post by sal »

Hailon wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:02 pm
I would love a G10 UKPK i just cant get into the frn handle stuff other than the salt/delica handles.

M4 jade UKPK!!! lol

Imagine that!
Hi Hailon,

The problem we run into is that many wont pay or can't afford the price of a G-1-0 version. G-10 has to be machined which raises the mfg costs.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

spyderg wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:15 pm
Slipjoint Native? Nice size, finger choil for safety, should just be a small tweak to switch out lockback for non locking spring no?
Hey Spyderg,

It's not a tweak, It's a whole new design. Lock well has to be eliminated. Tang of knife has to be changed. Spring has to be fastened, etc.

sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

sal wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:58 pm
Hailon wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:02 pm

M4 jade UKPK!!! lol

Imagine that!
Hi Hailon,

The problem we run into is that many wont pay or can't afford the price of a G-1-0 version. G-10 has to be machined which raises the mfg costs.

sal

I would think more people are forced to carry non locking knives now than there used to be when the g10 UKPK was available. Perhaps the market is ready for a pricier UKPK again? I know I am.

The g10 versions are highly sought after now.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

sal wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:00 pm
spyderg wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:15 pm
Hey Spyderg,

It's not a tweak, It's a whole new design. Lock well has to be eliminated. Tang of knife has to be changed. Spring has to be fastened, etc.

sal
But still, it would make for a good platform to work from. I’m not the knife designer but doesn’t seem to me like it would be terribly difficult to make a slipjoint version of the Native.

To be honest I wasn’t overly impressed with my Urban, just not the kind of action I prefer on a slipjoint. I think Spyderco should consider a design similar to the Viper EZ open, You guys know how to get a detent just right after all!

I’m really just hoping to be able to get my hands on the Smock somehow when it comes out. Got his custom SK23 and would really love to have the Spyderco version. Seems to incorporate his SK45 design as well.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

spyderg wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:14 pm
But still, it would make for a good platform to work from. I’m not the knife designer but doesn’t seem to me like it would be terribly difficult to make a slipjoint version of the Native.

I don’t think he means that it’s a difficult thing to physically do. More that it would take a lot of work, time and money on Spyderco’s part to invest to bring such an endeavour to the market.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

sal wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:22 am
HI Skeletor, Jazz

sal

Is the 2 hand opener a back lock?

For what it's worth, I'll post these again. They're from the other Canadian thread. The lock could be switched to the 2 hander, and vice versa.

- best wishes, Jazz.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:23 pm
spyderg wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:14 pm

I don’t think he means that it’s a difficult thing to physically do. More that it would take a lot of work, time and money on Spyderco’s part to invest to bring such an endeavour to the market.
That’s kinda why I suggested it. My thought is it would need less development to bring to market. Blade and handle already fit and work, and replacing the lock back with a slipjoint spring should fit easily requiring just an adjustment to the tang. Plus, many already know and love the design so it’s pretty much a guaranteed seller. Again I’m not the expert but it works in my head, lol!