Canadian UKPK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
talesk

Re: Canadian UKPK

Post by talesk »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:44 pm
talesk wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:05 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 10:58 am
I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but I keep thinking about the Spy-DK as a possible solution https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=879. What are the legal blade length requirements in Canada? The Spy-DK's blade length is only 58 mm, so I'm guessing this might meet legal requirements. Additionally, the Spy-DK was designed to be opened with two hands only, and is likely nearly impossible to open with a wrist-flick or similar. Just a thought, but if this design meets criteria for Canada's new laws, what if Spyderco made a special G-10 version of the Spy-DK?

From Spyderco's Website:
"The Spy-DK is based on the platform of Spyderco’s revolutionary UK Penknife, but specially modified to allow it to conform with Danish knife laws. Its blade is full-flat ground from Böhler-Uddeholm’s premium N690Co stainless steel, but its length is reduced to 68mm (2.69 inches). The Trademark Round Hole™ clearly identifies it as a Spyderco knife and provides a handy purchase for two-handed opening, but the hole is purposely small to prevent one-handed blade-opening methods. Its stout notched-joint mechanism is also powered by a strong spring that helps hold the blade securely in the open and closed positions, supporting its safe use as a cutting tool while precluding one-handed opening.

The Spy-DK’s lightweight handle is constructed of injection-molded fiberglass-reinforced-nylon (FRN) scales attached directly to the stainless steel back spacer/spring. The molded checkered pattern on the scales and a textured index-finger choil at the juncture of the blade and handle ensure a secure grip and allow the user’s index finger to serve as a natural stop to prevent unintentional closure during use. A reversible deep-pocket wire clip provides both left and right-side tip-up carry, keeping the knife accessible for immediate use while naturally blending with virtually any color of clothing.

Although created to conform with Danish knife laws, the Spy-DK’s highly functional design and socially friendly demeanor make it a perfect choice for knife users everywhere. It combines convenient clip carry and a purposeful two-hand-opening into a design that redefines the non-locking pocketknife."

Spy-DK Specifications:

Overall Length
6.26" (160 mm)
Blade Length
2.69" (58 mm)
Steel
N690Co
Closed Length
3.60" (91 mm)
Edge Length
2.30" (58 mm)
Weight
1.9 oz (54 g)
Blade Thickness
0.112" (2.8 mm)
Handle
FRN
Clip Position
Ambi
Tip Carry Position
Tip-Up
Lock Type
N/A
Grind
Full-Flat
Sheath
N/A
Origin
Italy
The issue is not the Canadian criminal code, or a societal fear of knives. The issue is a recent change the Canadian boarder services Agency made regarding import of knives.

See my post here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79998

Canadians can carry any knive regardless of length as long as it is not spring or centrifugal opening. You can get exemptions from this if you are handi-able and need an assisted tool.

As Sal pointed out in an earlier post this criminal code is to protect law enforcement.

I just got a spy dk, and it was inspected by CBSA. No issues.

Actually most of my recent spyderco have been examined and passed.

Endura, my second delica, Pingo, spy dk, manix 2 lw.

Zero issues getting them across the boarder. When talking to local shops they haven't had any shipments ceased any they included benchmade flippers.

I think there is a lot of fear and tail waging the dog right now. Wait until the current motions to reverse the CBSA changes fail before we go full chicken little.

There are many people like you that haven’t had knives stopped. But there are a lot of people I know that have had plenty stopped at the border since this started. You’ve most likely been lucky. I hope your luck continues...

Many businesses have had their shipments stopped including a $200,000 Spyderco shipment to my local shop. This is a very real problem. Some shops have gotten creative getting shipments across, but they never used to have to do stuff like that just to order knives. ZT flat out refuses to ship to Canada (dealer or personal) until this is sorted.

Make no mistake, where knives are concerned in Canada, the sky is falling.
Truly sad.

I recently ordered from the spyderco factory outlet and they were more than happy to work with me to get the order together over the phone. It pleases me that spyderco is still open for business.

I still feel it is premature to make a Canadian knife from the ground up...

However, if a sprint or two for Canadian knife nuts occurs, and it made available with Canadian dealers as a priority I would feel obliged to order.
Haves: Hungarian x5, Firefly x2, Orange Dragonfly 2, Orange Delica 4, Blue Delica 4, Orange Endura 4, Sliverax, Blurple Manix 2 s110v, Burnt Orange Meerkat hap40/sus410, spy dk orange, Pingo orange, Military Fluted Titanium, Lil sub-hilt, para 3 Rex45, friction folder, cricket, techno v1 xhp, spydiechef, slysz bowie, paysan, nirvana, subvert, ikuchi, smock, shaman (4v), shaman (cruwear), drunken, Caribbean (pe sheep)
Wants: parata, kapara
In the mail:
awa54

Post by awa54 »

If this border enforcement issue doesn't blow over, what might the prospects of major makers starting to *assemble* knives in Canada? It would be a big PITA for everyone, but might be a valid way to avoid the importation bottleneck.

talesk wrote:

Zero issues getting them across the boarder. When talking to local shops they haven't had any shipments ceased any they included benchmade flippers.

I think there is a lot of fear and tail waging the dog right now. Wait until the current motions to reverse the CBSA changes fail before we go full chicken little.

This one always makes me scratch my head... a well set up Manix with CBBL will fall open or shut when the ball cage is retracted manually, they also flick open with no finger to blade contact required and only moderate wrist action, so it has always seemed like the Manix 2, Sage 3 and any other ball/bolt/axis lock knives would be easy for regulators to include in the "gravity" or "centripetal" opening knife category.

I guess it's good that most anti-knife regulators are ignorant of how knives work?!?
Last edited by awa54 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

awa54 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:50 am
talesk wrote:

I guess most anti-knife regulators are ignorant.
Shortened the quote for accuracy.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam