Canadian UKPK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nate

Re: Canadian UKPK

Post by Nate »

The Native talk just reminded me, is a Slipit Lil Native still happening?
:spyder:
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you, sal, you are amazing my friend.

This thread has made me want to get a current-model UKPK. Would you say I can use it for normal cutting uses without fearing the blade closing on my fingers suddenly?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jazz,

Yes, it's a lock back, but the issue with THO is to make inertia opening impossible, which is very difficult on any locking knife. I believe I can inertia open any of the so called THO models that are considered legal in Germany. Inertia opening is one hand open. We're working on our first proto.

Hey Spyderg,

Not difficult, just $100K investment. We're considering it. We made a proto a while ago that is in England with a forumite.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:28 pm
Thank you, sal, you are amazing my friend.

This thread has made me want to get a current-model UKPK. Would you say I can use it for normal cutting uses without fearing the blade closing on my fingers suddenly?
I designed the knife to be safe. I carry one quite often.

sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

sal wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:03 pm
Hi Jazz,

Yes, it's a lock back, but the issue with THO is to make inertia opening impossible, which is very difficult on any locking knife. I believe I can inertia open any of the so called THO models that are considered legal in Germany. Inertia opening is one hand open. We're working on our first proto.

sal

Thanks. Aren't backlock 2 handers (no stud or hole) fine in Canada? I see a lot of this type still coming in. I'm quite interested in this knife you speak of.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Squawk

Post by Squawk »

sal wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:03 pm
Hi Jazz,

Yes, it's a lock back, but the issue with THO is to make inertia opening impossible, which is very difficult on any locking knife. I believe I can inertia open any of the so called THO models that are considered legal in Germany. Inertia opening is one hand open. We're working on our first proto
Hey Sal,

Those are great news indeed. I've got a lot of knives that are supposed to be THO knives and Boker for example makes a lot of knives for the german market; however, they know that in the end, it's up to the police officer and the judges to decide in any individual case what's legal and what is not. So if a police officer does not like my face then i can get in problems with any THO knife, unless it is absolutely impossible for anyone to open one handed in any way. That's why they never explicitly say of any of their locking knives that it is street legal, except of their slipjoints. So please, make it a knife absolutely impossible to open one handed! And i'd love the bigger Slipit as well!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

If it’s that hard to open, I’ll pass. Seems unnecessary. Might as well lock closed too.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Squawk

Post by Squawk »

Jazz wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:44 am
If it’s that hard to open, I’ll pass. Seems unnecessary. Might as well lock closed too.
I mean it's about legal requirements first, if one is looking for easy to deploy knives in the first place, there are enough options already available. Besides, locking closed is not the worst idea of all times, works well for opinels for example. However, a well designed strong backlock would seem like a good start i guess.

PS: we should not mix up legal requirements for canada and germany. The THO knife Sal said they were planning for the german laws, that's why i chimed in. Might as well be overkill for the CBSA situation.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but I keep thinking about the Spy-DK as a possible solution https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=879. What are the legal blade length requirements in Canada? The Spy-DK's blade length is only 58 mm, so I'm guessing this might meet legal requirements. Additionally, the Spy-DK was designed to be opened with two hands only, and is likely nearly impossible to open with a wrist-flick or similar. Just a thought, but if this design meets criteria for Canada's new laws, what if Spyderco made a special G-10 version of the Spy-DK?

From Spyderco's Website:
"The Spy-DK is based on the platform of Spyderco’s revolutionary UK Penknife, but specially modified to allow it to conform with Danish knife laws. Its blade is full-flat ground from Böhler-Uddeholm’s premium N690Co stainless steel, but its length is reduced to 68mm (2.69 inches). The Trademark Round Hole™ clearly identifies it as a Spyderco knife and provides a handy purchase for two-handed opening, but the hole is purposely small to prevent one-handed blade-opening methods. Its stout notched-joint mechanism is also powered by a strong spring that helps hold the blade securely in the open and closed positions, supporting its safe use as a cutting tool while precluding one-handed opening.

The Spy-DK’s lightweight handle is constructed of injection-molded fiberglass-reinforced-nylon (FRN) scales attached directly to the stainless steel back spacer/spring. The molded checkered pattern on the scales and a textured index-finger choil at the juncture of the blade and handle ensure a secure grip and allow the user’s index finger to serve as a natural stop to prevent unintentional closure during use. A reversible deep-pocket wire clip provides both left and right-side tip-up carry, keeping the knife accessible for immediate use while naturally blending with virtually any color of clothing.

Although created to conform with Danish knife laws, the Spy-DK’s highly functional design and socially friendly demeanor make it a perfect choice for knife users everywhere. It combines convenient clip carry and a purposeful two-hand-opening into a design that redefines the non-locking pocketknife."

Spy-DK Specifications:

Overall Length
6.26" (160 mm)
Blade Length
2.69" (58 mm)
Steel
N690Co
Closed Length
3.60" (91 mm)
Edge Length
2.30" (58 mm)
Weight
1.9 oz (54 g)
Blade Thickness
0.112" (2.8 mm)
Handle
FRN
Clip Position
Ambi
Tip Carry Position
Tip-Up
Lock Type
N/A
Grind
Full-Flat
Sheath
N/A
Origin
Italy
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

We don’t have blade length limits in Canada so there isn’t a reason to have a really short blade.

The Spy-DK is a great design but it’s not the knife I’m hoping this thread will lead to. I’m wanting a Golden made knife with g10 and an American made steel with the possibility of sprints etc.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I just remembered that Spyderco has an Alistair Phillips slipit version in the works. This is pretty exciting.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cobra,

Ali's design was for the UK so it's 3" blade.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

A slipjoint Caly3.5 with a small hole like the SpyDK?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

sal wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 5:48 pm
Hi Cobra,

Ali's design was for the UK so it's 3" blade.

sal

That sounds great to me Sal!

@liquid_cobra
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

Wow, this is interesting. I’d be in, especially being in Germany. Would like to stay on the right side of things and still be able to carry. Thanks for the many options and new possibilities!
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
CanaBrit

Post by CanaBrit »

Hey, I thought I'd report from Canada here.
I was talking to the owner at the local cutlery store. Apparently this whole 'banning lock knifes' situation is something that the border patrol just decided to do. The courts have since found out about this and are not happy (the border patrol isn't supposed to be inventing laws), and the store owner is expecting the courts to overturn the ban towards the end of the year. He was saying that he's waiting for a decision before new stock is ordered.
So he didn't seem worried about all this, he's just mildly annoyed because he won't be able to buy any stock till November time but its doesn't seem like they will be banned.

How accurate that is I have no idea but that seems to be the low-down from people in the know.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

CanaBrit wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:28 pm
Hey, I thought I'd report from Canada here.
I was talking to the owner at the local cutlery store. Apparently this whole 'banning lock knifes' situation is something that the border patrol just decided to do. The courts have since found out about this and are not happy (the border patrol isn't supposed to be inventing laws), and the store owner is expecting the courts to overturn the ban towards the end of the year. He was saying that he's waiting for a decision before new stock is ordered.
So he didn't seem worried about all this, he's just mildly annoyed because he won't be able to buy any stock till November time but its doesn't seem like they will be banned.

How accurate that is I have no idea but that seems to be the low-down from people in the know.

Good info, thanks for the update. I’ve heard some rumblings about action scheduled for later this year as well.

@liquid_cobra
CanaBrit

Post by CanaBrit »

yeah, well I hope they sort it all out because I have my eye on a Caribbean sheepfoot but their just not bringing anything into the country right now. Waiting for this mess to clear up I guess.
The shop owner seemed to think this was all about assisted knives anyway, rather than just a locking knife. The Canadian law is very specific in that any knife that can't be opened under gravity, and the customs people decided that assisted openers were in that class. As a store owner buying stock, I guess if there is 1 assisted opener somewhere in the entire batch you just bought then they all got confiscated.
talesk

Post by talesk »

SpyderNut wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 10:58 am
I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but I keep thinking about the Spy-DK as a possible solution https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=879. What are the legal blade length requirements in Canada? The Spy-DK's blade length is only 58 mm, so I'm guessing this might meet legal requirements. Additionally, the Spy-DK was designed to be opened with two hands only, and is likely nearly impossible to open with a wrist-flick or similar. Just a thought, but if this design meets criteria for Canada's new laws, what if Spyderco made a special G-10 version of the Spy-DK?

From Spyderco's Website:
"The Spy-DK is based on the platform of Spyderco’s revolutionary UK Penknife, but specially modified to allow it to conform with Danish knife laws. Its blade is full-flat ground from Böhler-Uddeholm’s premium N690Co stainless steel, but its length is reduced to 68mm (2.69 inches). The Trademark Round Hole™ clearly identifies it as a Spyderco knife and provides a handy purchase for two-handed opening, but the hole is purposely small to prevent one-handed blade-opening methods. Its stout notched-joint mechanism is also powered by a strong spring that helps hold the blade securely in the open and closed positions, supporting its safe use as a cutting tool while precluding one-handed opening.

The Spy-DK’s lightweight handle is constructed of injection-molded fiberglass-reinforced-nylon (FRN) scales attached directly to the stainless steel back spacer/spring. The molded checkered pattern on the scales and a textured index-finger choil at the juncture of the blade and handle ensure a secure grip and allow the user’s index finger to serve as a natural stop to prevent unintentional closure during use. A reversible deep-pocket wire clip provides both left and right-side tip-up carry, keeping the knife accessible for immediate use while naturally blending with virtually any color of clothing.

Although created to conform with Danish knife laws, the Spy-DK’s highly functional design and socially friendly demeanor make it a perfect choice for knife users everywhere. It combines convenient clip carry and a purposeful two-hand-opening into a design that redefines the non-locking pocketknife."

Spy-DK Specifications:

Overall Length
6.26" (160 mm)
Blade Length
2.69" (58 mm)
Steel
N690Co
Closed Length
3.60" (91 mm)
Edge Length
2.30" (58 mm)
Weight
1.9 oz (54 g)
Blade Thickness
0.112" (2.8 mm)
Handle
FRN
Clip Position
Ambi
Tip Carry Position
Tip-Up
Lock Type
N/A
Grind
Full-Flat
Sheath
N/A
Origin
Italy
The issue is not the Canadian criminal code, or a societal fear of knives. The issue is a recent change the Canadian boarder services Agency made regarding import of knives.

See my post here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79998

Canadians can carry any knive regardless of length as long as it is not spring or centrifugal opening. You can get exemptions from this if you are handi-able and need an assisted tool.

As Sal pointed out in an earlier post this criminal code is to protect law enforcement.

I just got a spy dk, and it was inspected by CBSA. No issues.

Actually most of my recent spyderco have been examined and passed.

Endura, my second delica, Pingo, spy dk, manix 2 lw.

Zero issues getting them across the boarder. When talking to local shops they haven't had any shipments ceased any they included benchmade flippers.

I think there is a lot of fear and tail waging the dog right now. Wait until the current motions to reverse the CBSA changes fail before we go full chicken little.
Haves: Hungarian x5, Firefly x2, Orange Dragonfly 2, Orange Delica 4, Blue Delica 4, Orange Endura 4, Sliverax, Blurple Manix 2 s110v, Burnt Orange Meerkat hap40/sus410, spy dk orange, Pingo orange, Military Fluted Titanium, Lil sub-hilt, para 3 Rex45, friction folder, cricket, techno v1 xhp, spydiechef, slysz bowie, paysan, nirvana, subvert, ikuchi, smock, shaman (4v), shaman (cruwear), drunken, Caribbean (pe sheep)
Wants: parata, kapara
In the mail:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

talesk wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:05 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 10:58 am

From Spyderco's Website:

Spy-DK Specifications:

Overall Length
6.26" (160 mm)
Blade Length
2.69" (58 mm)
Steel
N690Co
Closed Length
3.60" (91 mm)
Edge Length
2.30" (58 mm)
Weight
1.9 oz (54 g)
Blade Thickness
0.112" (2.8 mm)
Handle
FRN
Clip Position
Ambi
Tip Carry Position
Tip-Up
Lock Type
N/A
Grind
Full-Flat
Sheath
N/A
Origin
Italy
The issue is not the Canadian criminal code, or a societal fear of knives. The issue is a recent change the Canadian boarder services Agency made regarding import of knives.

See my post here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79998

Canadians can carry any knive regardless of length as long as it is not spring or centrifugal opening. You can get exemptions from this if you are handi-able and need an assisted tool.

As Sal pointed out in an earlier post this criminal code is to protect law enforcement.

I just got a spy dk, and it was inspected by CBSA. No issues.

Actually most of my recent spyderco have been examined and passed.

Endura, my second delica, Pingo, spy dk, manix 2 lw.

Zero issues getting them across the boarder. When talking to local shops they haven't had any shipments ceased any they included benchmade flippers.

I think there is a lot of fear and tail waging the dog right now. Wait until the current motions to reverse the CBSA changes fail before we go full chicken little.

There are many people like you that haven’t had knives stopped. But there are a lot of people I know that have had plenty stopped at the border since this started. You’ve most likely been lucky. I hope your luck continues...

Many businesses have had their shipments stopped including a $200,000 Spyderco shipment to my local shop. This is a very real problem. Some shops have gotten creative getting shipments across, but they never used to have to do stuff like that just to order knives. ZT flat out refuses to ship to Canada (dealer or personal) until this is sorted.

Make no mistake, where knives are concerned in Canada, the sky is falling.

@liquid_cobra