Canadian UKPK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SharpCdn

Re: Canadian UKPK

Post by SharpCdn »

sal wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:02 am
The fear of flickable knives in Canada, as I understand, is based on someone's ability to conceal a knife in a closed hand, get close to a Police Officer (or other innocent) and instantly produce a deadly force that was not visible and cause harm or kill someone.

sal
I like your optimism and glass-is-half-full attitude.

However, if this truly was the case, that concern has not been communicated to the public in any way by the Canadian Border Service Agency (CBSA).

Nor has that concern been communicated by any other law enforcement agency in Canada.

Nor has that concern been communicated by our Criminal Law maker's in the form of new legislation or new laws.

Nor has that concern been communicated by any Court of law in Canada - which is the ONLY delegated authority on the interpretation of our laws.

Unfortunately, this is just an example of one agency (CBSA) making an arbitrary decision.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SharpCdn,

We spent 2 years waiting for an audience with the Crown with an attorney on retainer. We were seeking a number to which we could build. We built a special machine to measure the amount of force it takes to open a knife and we sent samples to the crown of varying strengths. All were considered "Prohibitive" even though some were certainly not flickable. The above reason was explained to me by the attorney as to why the Crown didn't want a specific measurement law because they wanted to be able to hold a potential criminal on a "Prohibitive" weapons charge while they did further investigations on the suspect. I don't think that most Governments feel it to be their responsibility to explain to the public why they do what they do.

sal
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

sal wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:15 pm
I don't think that most Governments feel it to be their responsibility to explain to the public why they do what they do.

sal

Could be if they told you, then they'd have to kill you. :eek:
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal, that is very insightful and shows that these governments do not want well-defined laws, they prefer vague laws that allow them more flexibility to ban things like knives. Thus the "Dangerous Knife" or "Dangerous Dirk" terms put into anti knife laws.

Welcome to the forum new people.

This situation reminds me of when the Japanese government banned the carry of knives, even those pen knives, after a politician was attacked in the 1960s by someone wielding a sword.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inejiro_Asanuma

I read that after this incident, the Japanese government began to institute severe bans on even small knives being carried in public. Can anyone confirm this?

sal, Cobra, Jazz, and others: I still am confident that somehow you all can engineer a design for a folder that gets around the Canadian Customs ban but is still robust and convenient to use.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

So Sal, I know I’ve bugged you about this a lot, here on the forum, and in person. Any chance this could happen?

I’ll leave you alone on the matter whatever the answer may be after this.

:D
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SharpCdn

Post by SharpCdn »

sal wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:15 pm
Hi SharpCn,

We spent 2 years waiting for an audience with the Crown with an attorney on retainer. We were seeking a number to which we could build. We built a special machine to measure the amount of force it takes to open a knife and we sent samples to the crown of varying strengths. All were considered "Prohibitive" even though some were certainly not flickable. The above reason was explained to me by the attorney as to why the Crown didn't want a specific measurement law because they wanted to be able to hold a potential criminal on a "Prohibitive" weapons charge while they did further investigations on the suspect. I don't think that most Governments feel it to be their responsibility to explain to the public why they do what they do.

sal
Sal,

Thank you for offering the insight, you obviously share the same frustration that Canadian's do, and would have even more to lose, at least monetarily, from this arbitrariness than we Canadians do as individuals.

Back on topic, I think that a Canadian UKPK right now would be bad timing and would be conceding to the CBSA ruling and thereby giving the ruling some legitimacy that it does not deserve. I suggest saving the slipit CPK (Canadian Pocket Knife) concept for after a court has upheld this new CITT/CBSA decision - which I do not think any court would uphold. Until then, the Police 4 is what I consider to be the CPK :)

Having said that, I have the S110V UKPK (Blue) that I use when traveling and I think that it is a great little pocket knife. I would be interested in a LC200N version if there were ever to be more iterations of this design.
Nate

Post by Nate »

SharpCdn wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:42 am
...Having said that, I have the S110V UKPK (Blue) that I use when traveling and I think that it is a great little pocket knife. I would be interested in a LC200N version if there were ever to be more iterations of this design.

In case you missed it, a Salt UKPK with Lc200n sounds like a strong possibility, provided they can hammer out the details:

"We're working on a Salt version. Heat treating the spring is challenging...

sal"

viewtopic.php?t=76646
:spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

OK Cobra, let's talk. How large of a knife would be a good Canuck Slippie for EDC?

sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

sal wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:23 am
OK Cobra, let's talk. How large of a knife would be a good Canuck Slippie for EDC?

sal

Honestly I really like the UKPK’s length but I do get more use out of my Paramilitary 2’s so I’d say the sweet spot is 3.5 inches for the blade. The problem with that though is that the blade length would be too long for other countries wouldn’t it? That’s why I thought a return of the G10 UKPK (red!) would make more sense. More potential customers for Spyderco.

So does this mean you’d consider a whole new model? I wasn’t expecting that Sal! Now you’ve got my brain working overtime. A slippie Caly 3.5 would be great. Or a slippie Para 3 much like how you were working on a slippie lil’ native. Or something completely new.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cobra,

The Germans are also asking for a larger version because of their new laws.

sal
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

A red UKPK with a maple leaf inlay would be pretty cool.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Oh I didn’t know they were having the same problems as us.

So are you thinking g10, made in golden, 3.5” blade? That would be great.

@liquid_cobra
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I bet a 3.5" slip it would sell well everywhere.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 12:31 pm
I bet a 3.5" slip it would sell well everywhere.

I hope you’re right!

@liquid_cobra
delican_38

Post by delican_38 »

A UKPK, or perhaps CPK in this case, would be something I’d 100% buy.
:spyder: Spyderco collector since 2011
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

A 3.5 certainly wouldn't be for me. I vote 3", though I think a two hander is the way to go. I know I'm alone in this though, so whatever is is. As it is, will we even be able to acquire one here? Not from W & W anyway.
- best wishes, Jazz.
chillicheesefries

Post by chillicheesefries »

Definitely in for a G10 UKPK!
Hey-you

Post by Hey-you »

I’ll admit that anything over 3 inches just doesn’t get carried as often. I’ll second a length of 3 or less. Regardless of laws length can be prohibitive of open carry and use, or at least restrictive of area of use. Just my 2 cents which either rounds to a Nickle or nothing.
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

Red G-10 ?? I don't care what blade length it is, I'm in!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Hey-you,

Welcome to our forum.

The more Canucks, the better.

On size, the Para 2 blade size seems to be a "sweet spot", though not legal where 3" is the limit.

sal