Pick a favorite out of these 5....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Pick a Favorite out of these 5

Delica
21%
Native
24%
Para3
29%
UKPK
8%
Caly 3
18%

Total votes: 157

MichaelScott

Re: Pick a favorite out of these 5....

Post by MichaelScott »

Delica. Outstanding value. The ergonomics are amazing recognizing that this may vary for others, but they absolutely fit me. It is light, sharp, colorful and has the best all-around blade length and shape.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
tjsblade

Post by tjsblade »

I picked them Para 3 because that and Manix are my two favourite spydies. Para 3 seems to be getting some blade steel variation which is nice. I wish they would stick their Manix Maxamet blade in a G10 version and not just the lightweight.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

It's a 3 way tie between the Para 3, Delica 4, and Caly 3. I sold most of my Natives and am now only down to 1 (fluted carbon fiber/S90V). I have no interest in UKPK because my local knife laws are super chill, and so locking folders all the time. I voted Para 3 since it's been getting a lot of pocket time recently (particularly CruWear and M390).
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Delica. I own more Natives, but carry the Delicas more. Really wish there was an FRN Caly option.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Native5.
It was a hard choice. I love Calys as well, but Native5 feels in my hand a little better.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Native 5 all the way. Real good ergos for my hands, and a nice variety of colors, and a flat-ground blade, and a perfect size, and FRN. Perfect knife.
Rtal

Post by Rtal »

UKPK gets the most carry time, but the venerable Delica or the Native 5 Lightweight are close seconds. All three carry small and are lighter than most three inch blades.

Own A Hap40 Caly 3, but it’s mostly a shelf queen due to weight. The Para just takes too much room in the pocket for a three inch blade. That said, both are great knives, but just prefer the smaller/lighter three above for edc.
Try to out love, out serve and out forgive.
My EDC rotation: Urban Elmax, Lil Native backlock, FRN Chaparral
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OK "ZRoW" I did your poll and I picked the Native model. There are many reasons I picked the Native and maybe too many to list so I'll try to keep it compact. One of the biggest reasons is that all of my current Native models are Golden, CO made. Also I've always loved the Native because you can get easiliy in PE & SE both. Probably one of the most important reasons is their endurance at doing extremely rough jobs>> I literally more or less tried to destroy one on a "job out of ****" that was given me when it was working for an "auto-mod" shop. For a relatively short, stout folder it's dimensions and grip are close to perfect.

I still say that the older GOLDEN, made 440V, full Spyderedged Native is one of the very best ever made IMO. The Native is just one of those GOLDEN made models you simply can't go wrong with. It's also one Spyderco model that's close to perfect even with an FRN handle. I wasn't a Native fan until I tried to destroy one but I was very pleasantly surprised to see that they are not an easy folder to abuse. I'll always be a Native fan and I'm really glad that they have made quite a few with Supersteel blades.

No other Spyder on that list comes close to the Native as far as I'm concerned. Yeah I noticed that the Para3 is also on the list but I still like the Para 2 the very best of those models so I'm still giving it to the Native.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Nice to see that the Native has taken the lead at this point!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I chose the Para 3 by default. Back locks don't rinse out like a flow through constructed knife. Compression locks are probably my second favorite lock behind frame locks. If Spyderco makes a titanium compression lock that's integral to the scale like on the original ATR I might not be able to stop myself from buying it.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Caly 3, it is the only one I have left out of the four ther choices and for a good reason. Awesome knife!
Josh
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

Native 5 is my choice, like the fit in my hand and the leaf blade shape. Especially like the liner less versions
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Delica, it fits my hand better and it doesn't have a choil.
The only knife that kicked the Delica out of my pocket for more than a few days was the Salt 2 (and that's a Delica salt anyway).
PStone

Post by PStone »

For me it’s the native. Not just outta the 5 choices here, but my favorite pocket knife, EVER. It’s also the only knife I have multiple versions of.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Caly 3 followed by the delica.

I have never been much of a native fan and have not tried a para 3 yet.
UrbanMoose

Post by UrbanMoose »

I chose the UKPK followed by the Caly 3, followed by the Para 3.

Being British, the UKPK was designed for the likes of me so it's the obvious choice. The Caly 3 as the locking version of the suberb UKPK is an easy second. The Para 3 interests me as I've had a couple of Para 2's and liked them a lot and the handle of the Delica always looked odd to me.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Of the 5, I have Natives and UKPKs. But I voted Delica, because I really should have one (I do have and love its derivative Tasman Salt).

That I don't yet have a Delica (or an Endura, except its derivative Pacific Salt) gives me reason to wonder why.

I think the reason is I came to Spyderco not that long ago at a point in my life where I could throw dollars at discretionary things.

This, plus a prejudice for leaf-shaped blades and G10 (thank you Tenacious) saw me overlook the pointy and flimsy models...

Well, tastes change (I love PM2s and Millies) and misunderstandings get corrected (no such thing as a flimsy Spydie).

I'm calling my imminent Delica the favorite because it symbolizes something I detect in the Glesser approach to knives: a well-designed, well-built knife should not be beyond anyone's means.

EDIT TO ADD: This is such a dangerous place. My first Delica is on the way. Thank you Spyderco for the military discount.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu May 17, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

I voted Caly 3 but only becauseCaly 3.5wasn't on the list. 3.5 has better blade ratio and is the same size as the Delica when closed. Hard to beat.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
elqfaltaba

Post by elqfaltaba »

I voted for Caly 3, the perfect knife to me.

Greetings.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:15 am

EDIT TO ADD: This is such a dangerous place. My first Delica is on the way. Thank you Spyderco for the military discount.
Boy ain't that the truth :D
Which Delica did you go with?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal