What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Post by JRinFL »

vivi wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:24 pm
trimming back some thorns on a bike trail
Good on you! Those thorns would be a painful slap in the face to someone otherwise.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
KillaCaltron

Post by KillaCaltron »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:56 am
Please come and do my kitchen next! We can chat about Spydercos as well. :D
I'll check with Boss man, but I think were busy til sometime next year.

As for talking about Spydies, I seem to always find time in my schedule. :rolleyes:
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

lunch.jpg
lunch
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Pacific Salt SE, cutting open a pallet of 20 gauge perforated galvanized steel.
Every time I cut these plastic bands I get rolled teeth, no matter how carefully I try. :(
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:14 am
Every time I cut these plastic bands I get rolled teeth, no matter how carefully I try. :(
Are they banded tightly with thick plastic banding? When I encounter that type of banding and have an SE blade, I normally lay the blade flat on the surface of the product and try to pull up on the banding a bit (if possible) and just slide/cut through the banding. I don't angle the blade at all, and haven't had that kind of issue. SE knives are in VG10 though, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference as well.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:18 am
The Meat man wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:14 am
Are they banded tightly with thick plastic banding? When I encounter that type of banding and have an SE blade, I normally lay the blade flat on the surface of the product and try to pull up on the banding a bit (if possible) and just slide/cut through the banding. I don't angle the blade at all, and haven't had that kind of issue. SE knives are in VG10 though, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference as well.
Yeah it's thick stuff. I always pull up on the strap with my free hand and cut straight upwards from underneath, no angling or anything like that. It cuts pretty well but I can't seem to get away from the rolling no matter how I try.

It's not too bad to fix and I'm hoping that as I sharpen the teeth down, they'll become more resistant to that kind of pressure. Time will tell I suppose.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Did some batoning and made some piss-poor feather sticks with the Mule this weekend. While the edge did hold up really well, I'm not sure the Mule is going to replace my Mora Kansbol for camp chores anytime soon. The handle is a bit cramped for me and the blade is not quite as long as I'd like. That's ok, because I mostly use my axe anyway. :-) Maybe I'll try the Mule in the kitchen next.

I'll be looking forward to the larger Enuff, or if I'm lucky, the Cruwear Proficient after all.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I cut some cowhide to make leather strops using my Maxamet Native 5. It was a total of 132" x 3/16". (335 cm x 4.8 mm) I made multiple passes because I didn't want to cut the bench in half on one pass. :D It did take off the hair-popping edge, but a few passes on the white Tri-Angle and it was back to popping hairs off again.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Scale swap to get ready for football season
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

The last Spyderco I used was a Mule Pd#1. I used it for tying knots, practicing patients and reaffirming that cord wraps suck.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I used the Canis to practice making feathersticks.
Attachments
canis_featherstick.jpg
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Before I tell you what I used it for, first the backstory.

My Manix 2 XL with CPM M4 is a pretty cool knife. I only carried it a couple days with some light use before setting it aside. Frankly, the clip makes it stick way to high out of my pocket. During the week I dress like a big boy, shirt tucked in, and a knife sticking high out of my pocket doesn't add to the look I'm trying to achieve.

So I ordered up a MXG clip, and installed it last night. The clip looks great, and now the knife only slightly peeks out of the top of my pocket. Before I put the knife away, I touched up the edge, so the knife was ready to go.

Today was the knife's first "real" day out. And half way through the day I got a big box of toys, so I eagerly whipped out the giant Manix. It easily pushed through the sides of the box that were sealed with reinforced tape. Then I slashed right down the middle of the box. But the tape didn't slice right through. Huh. Do over. And it didn't slice again! WTF? My edges can slice like Jon Snow's broadsword, so something strange was definitely afoot. Closer examination revealed that the blade DID cut through the tape, but it choked on the staples hidden beneath. First full day out, first cut, staples. Shucks.

A gander with the 'scope revealed that the M4 rolled a bit and got some small chips. A bummer, to be sure, but also an opportunity to get out the stones.

The damage cleaned up reasonably well. There's still some irregularity at the apex, but it was time to stop sharpening. It's a good edge now, but will be even better next time. The takeaway? Maybe I should feel beneath the tape on big boxes, before just hacking through the tape.
IMG_8555.jpeg
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ykspydiefan wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:03 pm
The last Spyderco I used was a Mule Pd#1. I used it for tying knots, practicing patients and reaffirming that cord wraps suck.
Man, I tried that when I got my PD1 Mule in also. I used to be pretty good at Macrame in Summer Camp, but this skills were clearly fleeting. Halpern Scales are for sure the way to go!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
vivi

Post by vivi »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:04 pm
Before I tell you what I used it for, first the backstory.

My Manix 2 XL with CPM M4 is a pretty cool knife. I only carried it a couple days with some light use before setting it aside. Frankly, the clip makes it stick way to high out of my pocket. During the week I dress like a big boy, shirt tucked in, and a knife sticking high out of my pocket doesn't add to the look I'm trying to achieve.

So I ordered up a MXG clip, and installed it last night. The clip looks great, and now the knife only slightly peeks out of the top of my pocket. Before I put the knife away, I touched up the edge, so the knife was ready to go.

Today was the knife's first "real" day out. And half way through the day I got a big box of toys, so I eagerly whipped out the giant Manix. It easily pushed through the sides of the box that were sealed with reinforced tape. Then I slashed right down the middle of the box. But the tape didn't slice right through. Huh. Do over. And it didn't slice again! WTF? My edges can slice like Jon Snow's broadsword, so something strange was definitely afoot. Closer examination revealed that the blade DID cut through the tape, but it choked on the staples hidden beneath. First full day out, first cut, staples. Shucks.

A gander with the 'scope revealed that the M4 rolled a bit and got some small chips. A bummer, to be sure, but also an opportunity to get out the stones.

The damage cleaned up reasonably well. There's still some irregularity at the apex, but it was time to stop sharpening. It's a good edge now, but will be even better next time. The takeaway? Maybe I should feel beneath the tape on big boxes, before just hacking through the tape.

IMG_8555.jpeg
I like that clip mod. I bet it makes it easier to take the Manix out of your pocket.

Do you think you'll dye your scales for a more muted look? I like their color but I'm tempted to go with a darker forest green.

Which stone did you use to clean up that accidental damage? I've only touched up my M4 Manix so far, no full sharpenings.
:unicorn
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Dinner prep and the like.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:48 am
Which stone did you use to clean up that accidental damage? I've only touched up my M4 Manix so far, no full sharpenings.
I hadn't noticed if the knife is easier to draw, but it's definitely not as easy going back into the pocket. As of now, I still think the lower carrying height is worth the more difficult clipping. Initially, I thought I'd dye the scales, but I kind of like them as they are, especially with the contrasting DLC.

For sharpening potentially tricky steels, I've been using the diamond matrix stones sold through Edge Pro. They are BY FAR the best stones I've ever rubbed metal on. From the coarsest through he finest, I'm always left smiling by the way edge progresses. The gentleman who makes the stones is over on that other knife forum. I don't think he makes other sizes, but it would be worth a look.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Used my Astute to open a package of sidewalk chalk for my son
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Red

Post by Red »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:09 am

Did some batoning and made some piss-poor feather sticks with the Mule this weekend. While the edge did hold up really well, I'm not sure the Mule is going to replace my Mora Kansbol for camp chores anytime soon. The handle is a bit cramped for me and the blade is not quite as long as I'd like. That's ok, because I mostly use my axe anyway. :-) Maybe I'll try the Mule in the kitchen next.

I'll be looking forward to the larger Enuff, or if I'm lucky, the Cruwear Proficient after all.
Thats a great photo!
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Cutting a hole in a heat shield so I can replace the valves under my sink.

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:23 pm
under my sink.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin