What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cambertree

Re: What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Post by Cambertree »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:06 am
Looks great! I'd love to try growing a greater variety of hot peppers. Last year, all I planted were ghost peppers.
Isn't Trinidad 3rd or 4th hottest pepper in the world? Yikes! :eek:
What do you make with the peppers?
Thanks Connor! Yeah I like the Ghost/Bhut Jolokia strain too - it’s about my favourite of the superhot varieties - pleasant tasting without being too over the top with heat. I often have a vial of dried Ghost powder on me for a li’l extra kick when you’d normally use hotsauce on a dish.

Yeah, I focussed on the superhots a couple of seasons ago, but last season I went more for a wide variety of regional types and flavours. I really recommend the Peruvian/Chilean Capsicum Pubescens species, usually found under the common names of Rocoto/Locoto and Manzano. They’re juicy, crunchy and full of flavour, with a heat level kinda similar to habaneros, but quite different.

Those Trinidad 7 Pots are really extreme - I’ll use slivers of Carolina Reapers in my food, but I usually balk at the 7 Pot. They have a very painful heat to them, probably the most painful of any chilli pepper I’ve tried!

I mostly make sauces with them. Feel free to PM me if any of y’all want some good recipes. :)

An old pic of a jar of mine, with some other favourite sauces:

RustyIron wrote: Hey, Camber. You had me goin' for a minute, wondering why you were planting chilis in November! Then I remembered that you're on the other side. I plant a few chilis every year, usually a super-hot variety, just because it's fun. After a ridiculously ample harvest a few years back, I have enough frozen to last me another decade. I don't NEED to plant anything.

Tonights use of a Spyderco for everyday tasks was in the preparation of dinner. Its enchilada night. At my side was our border COLLIE pup, who was overjoyed that I was willing to share raw CAULI flower.
IMG_9980.jpeg
IMG_9977.jpeg
Cool pics and pup, Rusty! Yeah, we’re heading into a hot summer again, down here in Southern Australia.

I still have a bunch of Carolina Reapers in the freezer from a couple of years ago, too. I think they’ll last me a long time!
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

This thread is getting a bump cuz I am so thankful for Spyderedge today. It was 30°F outside while I was trying to repair my well system, and even with a heat gun I was just not getting 1-1/4" plastic pipes off of barbed fittings so I just cut them. I used a saw to cut the lines off, but I needed something smaller to carefully get the remnants off the fittings. Enter Pacific Salt!

The repair was a success (so far, fingers crossed!) and being able to slowly saw into at those pipes in a cramped well pit was such a luxury. I actually started out cutting the pipes off with a serrated Harpy, but the hacksaw was faster there. Thanks for helping me save $1500 from our local disgruntled overpriced plumbers!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tested out my z cut on a very soft tomato. Ripped through the skin with ease. I like how it handles. May have to order one in PE and make some kydex and use it around camp.
:unicorn
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

vivi wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:22 pm

Tested out my z cut on a very soft tomato. Ripped through the skin with ease. I like how it handles. May have to order one in PE and make some kydex and use it around camp.
Please keep us posted on the Kydex sheath. Very much interested.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Testing out the macaroon whittling sharpness of the M4, with nary a chip nor a rolled edge.
IMG_0341.jpeg
prog_knife

Post by prog_knife »

Used the name + serial number of a flash batch knife as the basis for a password.

On more of a real usage front, used my new Parata to shave a lot of spoiled surface florets off of an otherwise delicious head of cauliflower. The curvy blade really excelled!
-Evan
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Opening my factory second, of course! :D

Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
vivi

Post by vivi »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:13 pm
vivi wrote:

will do. i had to order new kydex sheets so it'll be a while. not sure if I'm doing a full on sheath or a simple blade cover. Probably the latter since I don't see myself wanting to carry this on my belt.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:57 am
skeeg11 wrote:
vivi wrote:

will do. i had to order new kydex sheets so it'll be a while. not sure if I'm doing a full on sheath or a simple blade cover. Probably the latter since I don't see myself wanting to carry this on my belt.
Much thanks. Was thinking it may actually make a decent mushroom knife but that would require many unsheathings and sheathing during a day in the field. Maybe a panfish filet knife, too.
SpydieHopkins

Post by SpydieHopkins »

Breaking down all those **** amazon boxes my wife has coming to the house for Xmas
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:45 pm
Testing out the macaroon whittling sharpness of the M4, with nary a chip nor a rolled edge.

IMG_0341.jpeg
:D That gave me a chuckle! Not long ago I used one of my MT's to slice up a banana and while wiping of the blade felt a snag on the paper towel! After a double take, I remembered dropping it in the garage a few days back.

Ain't no 'nanner gonna chip PMA11 :p
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
vivi

Post by vivi »

skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:20 pm
vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:57 am
skeeg11 wrote:
vivi wrote:

Much thanks. Was thinking it may actually make a decent mushroom knife but that would require many unsheathings and sheathing during a day in the field. Maybe a panfish filet knife, too.
Just got the kydex in

skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Looking forward to what you come up with. :)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Carving feather sticks with my Maxamet Manix for tinder out in the woods. It's zero degrees outside with light ice and snow.
Last edited by The Meat man on Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
wirelessjunkie

Post by wirelessjunkie »

Cutting the metal ring off a wine bottle last night. Today I sliced up an Apple for part of my breakfast this morning and then cut up some boxes a few minutes ago. Going on week 3 with this toothy edge I put on this K390 Endura and it just wont stop. Wont shave hair anymore, but still slices paper easily.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Speared some slices of sashimi with my pocketknife, as any civilised person would do. ;) :rolleyes: :D

MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I discovered tonight that a Dragonfly Salt SE is an ideal tool for eating king crab. Pierces and pries the joints apart and zips through the length of the legs with ease. Wiped it off on my napkin and back into the pocket. Perfect!
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
vivi

Post by vivi »

Millie assisted with breakfast. Biscuits and bacon.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Opened and trimmed the cork of a champagne bottle last night.