What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
legOFwhat?

Re: What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Post by legOFwhat? »

ThomC wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:54 am
legOFwhat? wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:50 pm
ThomC wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:43 am
Since you've already cleaned it, for the next time I'd recommend a bath of white vinegar. It worked wonders on the used Millie I bought, as it hadn't been used or properly cleaned in a while. One hour did it for S30V, I'd guess a couple more would do it for a tool steel.
Wouldn't that force a patina? Wouldn't be a bad idea ;)
I meant to write minutes instead of 'more'...because a couple hours would definitely force a patina
Forcing a patina on the handle could be a good idea anyway, that would help limit corrosion.

Might be a nice little trial/experiment I can do with two matching PMA11'S. Ordered some Bar Keepers Friend so I should be able to clean up any mess I create. :)
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I used the Utility Knife to cut up an apple, my Endura to slice an onion, avocado, and tomato, and my K390 Ladybug to cut rotisserie chicken. (to force a patina)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Enactive wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:40 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:14 am
To open a new 2.5l Osprey water bladder! The original in my old narrow gauge camelbak was... gross. Pleased to report the Osprey fits my old pack just fine, the fill mouth design I think is better than anything with a cap or plug, and the bite valve rocks!
O/T
Osprey packs and bladders are great. The key for me with hydration bladder hygiene is to have the long skinny hose brush to clean inside the hose.
I’ll be looking into that. My original was probably around 20 years old!
Lilypad87

Post by Lilypad87 »

Used my DLT Manix 2 (in 20CV) to chop veggies for dinner; I'm finding that it ends up in my pocket more than any of my other knives.

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Lilypad87 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:56 pm
Used my DLT Manix 2 (in 20CV) to chop veggies for dinner; I'm finding that it ends up in my pocket more than any of my other knives.

Very nice! Welcome to the forum! ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Ladybug just zipped through ~50 linear feet of cardboard. :)

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:01 pm

Peace, that’s pretty cool!

The little SE, HB is likely the most underrated yet handiest little knife on the planet.

It’s all I’ve carried in many months now and never found it lacking. Petite as it is, for my daily requirement it’s handier than any other knife I own.

It’s taught me how to sharpen SE’s and how well they can perform, given me a great appreciation of FRN’s virtues and just about made every other pocket knife I own redundant. :eek: Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha!

From where I’m standing, I’d reckon it’s the best small folder on Earth, the Universe and maybe even the Cosmos and you’d surely have to say, Mr Glesser does better than average when it comes to knife design. ;) :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
AHarbuck

Post by AHarbuck »

Ughhhhh I hate moving. Except there’s always cardboard to break down. I think I plunged into the fancy steels waaaay too early especially once I got a Sharpmaker and found out how easy and quick blindingly sharp edges are with VG10 and S30v. I’ve been on a plain jane PE Delica kick and while it looks like **** but l couldn’t be happier. Will touch it up again soon with some paint thinner to get the goo off and the brown rods to get it back to sticky sharp. Long live VG10!
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:08 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:01 pm
Peace, that’s pretty cool!

The little SE, HB is likely the most underrated yet handiest little knife on the planet.

It’s all I’ve carried in many months now and never found it lacking. Petite as it is, for my daily requirement it’s handier than any other knife I own.

It’s taught me how to sharpen SE’s and how well they can perform, given me a great appreciation of FRN’s virtues and just about made every other pocket knife I own redundant. :eek: Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha!

From where I’m standing, I’d reckon it’s the best small folder on Earth, the Universe and maybe even the Cosmos and you’d surely have to say, Mr Glesser does better than average when it comes to knife design. ;) :)
I've been nothing but impressed with it! It has a permanent place on a lanyard around my neck and gets used fairly often. It's my first experience with H1 and I like it alot. Such a useable design for being so small. :)
gbcaffee

Post by gbcaffee »

Used my Manix 2 LW S90V to cut up some thin cut pork loin chips and pineapple I grilled last night. The high vis orange and black dlc on the blade added to the feel of the meal.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I handed a coworker my Ladybug to cut the plastic wrap off of a few equipment racks yesterday. I had to scold him, of course, for not carrying his Dragonfly 2.
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Cut up some boxes for recycling with my Shaman :spyder:

Justin :spyder:
RustyIron

Sinh tố bơ for lunch

Post by RustyIron »

I like big knives. My favorite kitchen knife is an eight incher. For me, using a typical folder when there is a real knife available, is both silly and tedious. Recently I’ve been carrying this Spyderco behemoth (which might actually be a cool name for a knife). It’s kind of on the small side for kitchen work, but isn’t so small as to be problematic.

This afternoon, Mrs. Iron and I wanted sinh tố bơ on the patio, so I whipped out my M2XL. Lunch was delicious, and the dogs enjoyed licking the glasses afterward.

IMG_8159.jpg
Red

Post by Red »

I opened a beer bottle and cut off a slice of two day old pizza, I am a bachelor. 😄
59B43BB1-7EC9-4BB3-884D-1903F51CB8E5.jpeg
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

To kill some time and take pictures of! Of course the day I bring a knife that really wants to work...I don't have much cutting to do at all. Go figure!

Resized_20200706_142616.jpeg
Resized_20200706_142544.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Took my kids to visit their grandma today, and brought the sprint rex45 shaman (yeah, yeah, I got one) to tackle the small mountain of cardboard boxes she had "saved up" for me. This was the first real use this knife had seen, and the factory edge still cleanly slices printer paper, but snags on newsprint now.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Rex-y native processed a bunch of cardboard this afternoon

Justin :spyder:
attila

Post by attila »

Took a walk with my smooth green G10 S90V Native through my back acres. I have been curious as to what species of trees I have, so I started collecting the various types.

Clockwise from top left: 7 types of oak, sycamore, pear, red maple, hickory, unknown, sassafras, another unknown, and black locust.
B3DC3258-C93E-46DE-99B2-A2E7521DBCD7.jpeg
I forgot to make an effort to grab a poplar leaf, but I definitely have some of those. There’s more tree species back there for sure, but these are the only species I found the leaves of.

With regard to what I used a Spyderco for, the only thing I had to cut was an immature pear from one of the two pear trees I found.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Did some yard cleanup yesterday, including removing the 3 dividers from a 4-run dog kennel. I’ll eventually demo the whole thing and build a shed on the slab. Baby steps... the bottom bars were overgrown with roots so SE Salt 2 got a workout cutting brambles and kudzu roots away from the chainlink.

Now that those dividers are gone, I can get after it with a flat point shovel, and scoop up all the soil and organic debris from over 13 years of home ownership and however long it languished before we bought the house. The back yard was so overgrown when we bought the house we didn’t even know the kennel was there!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

People ask why I carry a knife when I go for walks or bike rides in the city...this morning I took my sons for a bike ride in a big local park with several lakes where people fish. When we were riding the trail around one lake, my son managed to ride through a big pile of fishing line that some inconsiderate person left on the ground. Took about 10 feet for it to get completely tangled around both his wheels, his pedals, and his chain. Luckily, I had my se hawkbill dragonfly, which made quick work of the line. You just never know when you'll need a knife!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.