What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PeaceInOurTime

Re: What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:58 pm
Gave my throwers new high-viz- "find-me" tape.
Used the Manix to scrape of the old tape and gunk off the blades and cut the new tape in shape.

Sharp Rex 45 blade scraping on metal: No prob. Really good stuff.

Just thinking about this makes me shudder and cringe a bit, but glad it works fine 😁

bearrowland wrote: I don't have pics handy, but my PM2 cut two cigars tonight....and many times in the past!

👍
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:41 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:58 pm
Gave my throwers new high-viz- "find-me" tape.
Used the Manix to scrape of the old tape and gunk off the blades and cut the new tape in shape.

Sharp Rex 45 blade scraping on metal: No prob. Really good stuff.

Just thinking about this makes me shudder and cringe a bit, but glad it works fine 😁

bearrowland wrote:
You mean just the sound it makes or doing this to a REX 45 (or any steel) blade generally?

For me there is a fine line between "right tool for the right job" and "purpose of a general EDC knife".

If I´d always reach for the "perfect tool" for the job (which is often not at hand!) I would actually use whatever Spyderco is in my pocket at lot less often.
If, on the other hand, I´d use the Spydie in my pocket recklessly for any task that might come along (prying...) I would be a bit crazy...

Scraping gunk and old tape from a throwing knifes metal blade is perhaps a bit borderline - but for me still in the "general EDC knife task" area..;)

And as said: Actually no problem at all for the REX 45 Manix :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Last use? You mean when was the last time I pulled them out of my sock drawer?

🤣

I'm sorry it's a slow morning 🤦🏼‍♂️
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:22 am

Haha yeah, just the thought of scraping metal with a nice sharp edge. Not judging! I'm sure it works and ends well when done correctly. 👍
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:54 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:22 am

Haha yeah, just the thought of scraping metal with a nice sharp edge. Not judging! I'm sure it works and ends well when done correctly. 👍
if you hold the blade in a rather flat angle: Scraping stuff with hard REX 45 off the really (purposely!) soft metal of a throwing knife (and only on the flat of that throwing knife blade) does really not hurt my Manix, but just works great for that! :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Scrape paint and expoxy off metal pipes, fishing hooks, etc with my K390 ladybug all the time. Part of its job description....an almost ideal tool for the job.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:39 am
Last use? You mean when was the last time I pulled them out of my sock drawer?

🤣

I'm sorry it's a slow morning 🤦🏼‍♂️

I got a new dresser so had to move all mine from one sock drawer to another. They appreciated the change of scenery!

My ClipiTool Standard got a workout last night! Sliced some cheese for crackers, opened a few bottle of brew!
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I de-boned a rotisserie chicken with my K390 Stretch 2. Washed it off real well then used it to cut an onion, avocado, and a tomato for a salad.
vivi

Post by vivi »

yojumbo dlc tactically separated some dish scrubbies :D

These will dull an edge pretty fast in my experience.
:unicorn
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Scraped polyurethane glue off of my hands and fingers with the Millie...
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Cutting packages, air hose, zip ties, and other misc. stuff with my Manix 2 LW in Maxamet.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

^Including this package that came in the mail today. 1808 Capped Bust half dollar.

- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's a cool piece of history right there Connor. Not something you see everyday! I remember thinking a few wheat pennies I had from the early 1900's was something cool and old! I appreciate things like this, makes me think of how much simpler, yet much more difficult life was for people carrying that coin back then.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:01 pm
That's a cool piece of history right there Connor. Not something you see everyday! I remember thinking a few wheat pennies I had from the early 1900's was something cool and old! I appreciate things like this, makes me think of how much simpler, yet much more difficult life was for people carrying that coin back then.
Yeah, it's a tangible link to the past...one reason I find old coins/artifacts so fascinating. In 1808, Thomas Jefferson was president, and the US was only 20-30 years old. It's fun to imagine the people who might have handled and used that very coin so many years ago, at the dawn of a new era in world history.

Speaking of wheat pennies, you might say I've got an inordinate fondness for them, too, lol...If you look in the background of both pictures you can see a glass jar partially full of them, and I've got some more coming in the mail. :winking-tongue
- Connor

magicdad

Post by magicdad »

Just opened up two bales of hay with my UKPK. Each bale is wrapped with 3 lengths of thick nylon strands, which have to be strong enough to hold about 100 pounds of hay in place. That shouldn't be a challenge for any good pocket knife, but I've had a few blades roll or even chip after opening just one bale. So it's a fairly good test for my knives, which I probably use more often and for slightly heavier chores than most do.
SpydieChef, Smock, Sliverax, Para 2, Para 3, Para 3 LW, Manix 2 LW, Native 5 LW, Sage 5, Chaparral, Harpy, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Alcyone, UK Penknife, Tenacious, Roadie, Byrd Cara Cara 2, and 100+ less significant (non-Spyderco) knives.
vivi

Post by vivi »

yojumbo helped me re-stuff my punching bag. everything had settled to the bottom, so throwing hooks towards the top feels much better now.

:unicorn
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Endura Wharnie SE cuts limes like no other.

skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Superflex wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:43 pm
Endura Wharnie SE cuts limes like no other.

Nice end grain cutting block/board. I purposely use a lesser quality board/block for aggressively toothy knives. :worried :winking-tongue
z1r

Post by z1r »

Used the K390 Endela to slice cucumbers for my lunch. Did a fine job! I honestly think I could toss all my other knives and get by easily with just the Endela. But that'll never happen.
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

z1r wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:56 am
Used the K390 Endela to slice cucumbers for my lunch. Did a fine job! I honestly think I could toss all my other knives and get by easily with just the Endela. But that'll never happen.
It’s always nice when you find THE knife. I’ve been wanting to try an Endela. K390 is some awesome stuff. Probably my favorite steel right now. Definitely in my top 3. Enjoy that knife!
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026