What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PeaceInOurTime

Re: What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:34 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:42 pm
How does the edge hold up after all that cardboard?

It did well, still quite sharp. Though, you never know with cardboard; sometimes it'll dull an edge quickly, sometimes it'll barely phase it.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:45 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:34 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:42 pm
How does the edge hold up after all that cardboard?

It did well, still quite sharp. Though, you never know with cardboard; sometimes it'll dull an edge quickly, sometimes it'll barely phase it.
You ain't kidding! Cutting various types of cardboard is probably what I use my knives for the most. Sometimes I'm very impressed with the edges after use and sometimes I question my own sharpening ability, the steel itself or the media within the cardboard. You really never know with that stuff.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Zive

Post by Zive »

Used my ZDP-189 Dragonfly 2 to open the package containing my new Cru-wear Dragonfly 2
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Used my M390 military for cutting French bread and opening boxes today.
vivi

Post by vivi »

:unicorn
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I let my co-worker use my Salt 2/Wharncliffe last night to lift the edge of the paper backing off of some pre-preg carbon fiber we were laying up. He usually uses a razor knife but left it sitting elsewhere. It's so much easier using a pointy 3" blade to separate the paper backing than a stubby 1.5" razor blade. With a razor knife you're right on top of the work you're trying to do.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Opening the mail :D

Zive

Post by Zive »

vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:59 pm
Opening the mail :D

Team work!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Two fifty-pound bags of bird food didn’t even know my Cruwear Millie had slit them open, Ninja-like, until they reached the recycle bin.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:40 pm
I don't have much experience with high-end steel, so I'm wondering what you did with that REX of yours after you sliced the apple. Just a wipe-down? Wash and dry and oil? My REX Chief is in the mailbox today, and I want to be prepared. :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:17 pm
vivi wrote:
I don't have much experience with high-end steel, so I'm wondering what you did with that REX of yours after you sliced the apple. Just a wipe-down? Wash and dry and oil? My REX Chief is in the mailbox today, and I want to be prepared. :)
I gave it a quick rinse with water, wiped it off on my shorts then put it back in my pocket. I've done this 5 or 6 times now with the Chief and its a bit cloudy, but no rust.

I've never really had issues with blades rusting. Liners and internal hardware is where I've seen most issues. The Chief lacking liners is one of the reasons I was interested in the rex45 run in particular. Should be able to carry it more often in the summer than I could with my Police 4: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84857
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Cut off the end of a silicone cartridge with my Millie to renew our shower's joints... Thrilling work indeed :D
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:31 pm
TheGiant80 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:17 pm
vivi wrote:
I gave it a quick rinse with water, wiped it off on my shorts then put it back in my pocket. I've done this 5 or 6 times now with the Chief and its a bit cloudy, but no rust.

I've never really had issues with blades rusting. Liners and internal hardware is where I've seen most issues. The Chief lacking liners is one of the reasons I was interested in the rex45 run in particular. Should be able to carry it more often in the summer than I could with my Police 4: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84857
Fantastic!

Man....there are some super helpful people here on the Spydie forums. I should come by more often.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Basically had to carve up a 2x4. Just abusing one of my shamans.
Man m4 is good stuff.
Dlc holds up very well.
You really notice how good the shaman design is when you just start beating on it.
20210323_174421.jpg
And after an alcohol wipe down.
20210323_174738.jpg
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

My used Rex 45 knives, touch up sharpening day... All are getting finished with 280 grit diamond stones.

Chief is at a week of paring knife kitchen duty(been hammering down on some ceramic plates!)

Shaman is a Tree-Rex that has been carried a lot. Started getting pitting around the REX 45 logo and on the blade after a month. Let it sit overnight in some vinegar and some scotch brite action for the current finish. Pretty much since the forced patina I haven't had any issues other than some surface rust in the bushing area(no longer an issue switched to a grease for the pivot area). My Tree-Rex gets a lot of carry, maybe my most carried knife to date.

Para 3 is a light user and a office carry. Only gets pocket time when I go to restricted cities for work. Had to scape paint last week to get to an inspection tag, really surprised I didn't chip the blade.

My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's a nice Rex trio you have there! Rex45 is also my personal favorite.

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:48 pm
Basically had to carve up a 2x4. Just abusing one of my shamans.
Man m4 is good stuff.
Dlc holds up very well.
You really notice how good the shaman design is when you just start beating on it.
20210323_174421.jpg
And after an alcohol wipe down.
20210323_174738.jpg
Totally agree! The Shaman always remains so comfortable in hand while doing serious/extended work with it. Are you going to give a try at some Flitz or BKF to see if you can get those other marks off the blade, or do you believe they are scratches right through the DLC?

I've got one on my S30V/DLC PM2 from the last time I used it, couldn't believe I finally actually scratched the DLC and it wasn't the material I had been cutting.

-Rick
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

TkoK83Spy wrote: ... Are you going to give a try at some Flitz or BKF to see if you can get those other marks off the blade, or do you believe they are scratches right through the DLC?

I've got one on my S30V/DLC PM2 from the last time I used it, couldn't believe I finally actually scratched the DLC and it wasn't the material I had been cutting.
Im fine with marks, scratches, patina, and anything that gives my user knives character. Battle scars so to speak.

Im sure those are scratches as well. I was beating the crap out of it. But it takes a lot to get small scratches on dlc.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Snacktime wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:36 am
My used Rex 45 knives, touch up sharpening day... All are getting finished with 280 grit diamond stones.

Chief is at a week of paring knife kitchen duty(been hammering down on some ceramic plates!)

Shaman is a Tree-Rex that has been carried a lot. Started getting pitting around the REX 45 logo and on the blade after a month. Let it sit overnight in some vinegar and some scotch brite action for the current finish. Pretty much since the forced patina I haven't had any issues other than some surface rust in the bushing area(no longer an issue switched to a grease for the pivot area). My Tree-Rex gets a lot of carry, maybe my most carried knife to date.

Para 3 is a light user and a office carry. Only gets pocket time when I go to restricted cities for work. Had to scape paint last week to get to an inspection tag, really surprised I didn't chip the blade.

The patina on that chief looks amazing. Did you force it or is that just a lot of kitchen use? If you did force it what did you use?
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:23 am
The patina on that chief looks amazing. Did you force it or is that just a lot of kitchen use? If you did force it what did you use?
Just cutting fruits, spreading mustard/mayo and processing up meat. I didn't clean the knife off right away/left it on the cutting board. I just cleaned the knife with the dishes after the meal. I wanted to see what REX looked like without putting a forced patina this time.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021